3/13 - Potential Urbana mini-meet
Mar 2, 2005 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

strohmie

Ask him if he ever wants to see another Quail powercord again.
I've had my CD player running for a few days now and wanted to hear some preliminary opinions on how it sounds from other people (I am currently sans headamp and phones). I know I still have ground hum at higher volumes that I need to get rid of, but I'm more interested in how the transport and DAC sound to other people the way I've initially built it. The ground hum is going to be there for a while, so you'll just have to ignore it.
biggrin.gif

So I mentioned this to Born2bwire and bLue_oNioN, and at the very least they were interested in getting together. So I figured I'd offer an open invite to others around the area who might like to come down and hang out -- there would be limited space (would be using Phil's place again) so my guess is we should probably cap the number of people total at around a dozen.

Sorry for the late notice, but our spring break starts down here on the 19th, so this would be the only time before the beginning of April that we could do this.

Mar 3, 2005 at 4:30 PM Post #5 of 19
Righto, as Strohmie said we're going to be showcasing his DIY CDplayer on the tentative date of the 13th. That Friday and Saturday is Engineering Open House and most of us will probably be busy to some degree on those dates which is why the 13th was chosen. The meet will once again take place at my home... apparently... I live at:

711 W Elm St. Apt #4
Urbana, IL

Going there is easy. If you're coming from Chicago on I-57, you'll want to take I-74 E and then get off at Lincoln Ave and head South (right hand turn). Then just before you hit the corner of campus, you'll come to Green St. Go East on Green (left) and then go North on Busey (first street after Green, left turn) and my complex is on the corner of Busey and Elm (Elm is the first street you'll hit on Busey) and is on the South-East corner of the intersection (large building with brown siding, I'm in the Southern of the two buildings). There's parking along Elm and Busey. You will want to try avoid parking in any driveways or parking lots in the immediate area of where I live because they're usually reserved, but the street should be fair game. If you have problems parking, just pull into the driveway of my building and I'll direct you to where you can park but this wasn't necessary at the last meet.

If we are game for the 13th then I'm going for a 11:00 AM meet time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
I know born2wire wants the g08, so its coming.

Excuse me while I squeal like a little girl.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I'm done. Now I need get started on plotting your downfall.

Mar 3, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire
The meet will once again take place at my home... apparently...

biggrin.gif
Too bad you don't have a slovenly roommate to completely muck up your apartment.

Anywho, bhd, any low impedance cans will work, because I'd like to see exactly how loud the hum is coming from this player. When I max out the volume on my 100+ watt receiver into my JBLs, I can hear the hum relatively clearly, and obviously I'd much prefer it to be as black as possible. Not sure whether to blame the DAC or shoving the transformers into the same box (much more likely the latter). Either way, we'll find out soon enough.

Mar 3, 2005 at 6:54 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
HEY GUYS i AM TRYING TO SEE IF i CAN GET SOME LADIES OUT BY YOU FOR MAYBE A AFTER THE MEET PARTY...lol

really I have three now but I am not sure if they will go threw with it..hehe

You know, it's strange. Everytime I see you in person you always appear to be sober...

Mar 3, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire
You know, it's strange. Everytime I see you in person you always appear to be sober...

LOL, Seconded.

EDIT: By the way... is there any way we can get an electrostatic to the meet?

Mar 5, 2005 at 2:30 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
Also, is there any chance we can do some quick comparisons between cables, I'm interested in seeing how much a difference there really is between copper, silver, etc.

Well, I have a set of Nordost Blue Heavens, copper.

Mar 6, 2005 at 5:28 PM Post #14 of 19
Eric343 is going to be crashing at my place while he's visiting UIUC. He's leaving on Sunday but if people get here really early you might be able to catch him. I'm still waiting for the final itinerary but from his last estimate I was probably going to have to drive him to the airport at 11:00 when the meet starts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back