2x more computer memory - is it worth it?
Mar 23, 2010 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Head_case

500+ Head-Fier
A computer question here.

I'm looking at a new Mac which comes with either 4GB or 8GB memory, at a cost of around US$60 extra.
I use Photoshop (energy intensive) and Dreamweaver, as well as listening to Spotify and surfing, but nothing else like videos.

Is it really worth the extra?

Mar 23, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #2 of 18
For $60 I would definitely add it. Especially since you use Photoshop.
A year or two ahead you may be pleased that you did.

Mar 23, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #3 of 18
You don't really need more than 4GB for anything. But $60 is actually a pretty cheap price for the upgrade. 4GB (2 x 2GB sticks) of good DDR2 or DDR3 generally costs at least $80.

Mar 23, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #4 of 18
Thanks guys ~

nuts. I've just done the math in my calculator (still can't understand foreign currencies!)

It actually works out at US$600 - not $60!
eek.gif

Is it still worth it?
confused.gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #5 of 18
Aahh, no then I would definitely pass on it. Unless you really need the additional 4GB that is.

Mar 23, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #6 of 18
$600 for an extra 4gb? I'm going to resist some comments about Apple's pricing scheme now. (Granted, Dell and co. do the same thing)

I would pass on that and if you really needed 4 more gigs, I'd go buy two more sticks.

Mar 23, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #7 of 18
Thanks guys - that's cleared things up a lot for me. I'll stick with the 4GB.

Is it possible to add non-Apple memory to a Mac, or is that a faux pas?

I really really love the Sony Vaio P series PC laptop - that is ideal for everything I'd do. The only dead blighter about it is that it runs on Windows 7. Is it possible to install Apple Snow Leopard on a PC like the new Sony Vaio P series?

Or is that a double faux pas?!

Mar 23, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #8 of 18
See how it does with 4g. If you think you need more after using it you, can add it for cheaper than 600.

Mar 23, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #9 of 18
You can add other brands of RAM as long as it is correct type. Most new laptops are running DDR3 - it is different from PC ram only in shape. There are specific laptop/notebook DDR3 RAM modules.

Mar 23, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head_case /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys - that's cleared things up a lot for me. I'll stick with the 4GB.

Is it possible to add non-Apple memory to a Mac, or is that a faux pas?

I really really love the Sony Vaio P series PC laptop - that is ideal for everything I'd do. The only dead blighter about it is that it runs on Windows 7. Is it possible to install Apple Snow Leopard on a PC like the new Sony Vaio P series?

Or is that a double faux pas?!

yes you can do it, go to RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, flash cards, SSD at Crucial.com since your not so techy and it will tell you what you need and how much. its slightly overpriced but nowhere near apples ass raping prices

Mar 23, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #11 of 18
I have a core i7 or i9 (can never remember) and started with 4gb, after a year I noticed that it was slowing and my system was running 75 - 80 % capacity for RAM. I added 4 more and it dropped to 25% which was awesome. But not $600 awesome!
good luck!

Mar 23, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #12 of 18
Thanks again guys - good to know that it's possible to do this!

Mark - I can only see a link for the 2x2GB = 4GB upgrade for the Apple in the link.

The Apple I'm looking at comes with 4GB as standard. I'm looking to upgrade to 8GB, but as far as I know, there are only 2x slots for the RAM chips?
confused.gif

It would mean that I couldn't just buy 2x 2GB RAM chips to add onto the 2x2GB RAM chips already installed: I'd have to replace them with 2x4GB chips, right?

Mar 25, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head_case /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would mean that I couldn't just buy 2x 2GB RAM chips to add onto the 2x2GB RAM chips already installed: I'd have to replace them with 2x4GB chips, right?

That's right. Right now, the price for DDR3 4GBx2 is expensive. With time, however, it will get much cheaper.

I'd say that if you work with huge high resolution images like scans, you will appreciate the RAM. I do like my 6GB of RAM; I never slow down because my RAM is full.

Sounds like a future upgrade is better. 4GB should be enough for now.

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trysaeder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're running x32 and you think 4 -> 8 gbs ram makes a difference, it a placebo.

He/She's looking at a Mac. See this if you're worried about getting 32 bit in OSX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back