2nd phones to compliment HD580's......
Oct 25, 2005 at 1:35 PM Post #16 of 19
I have the HD-580 and the DT 880 and have rested right here.Had some grados and liked them but kept coming back to the Senns.Gave my 325s to my wife she loves them.I have re cabled both the DT880 and the HD 580 and they are great.I have also had the HD-600 and HD-650 and cant say there are diffrences but depending on what they are hooked up to they can sound just as good.You can make almost any phone sound bad or good by the cables source amp or tubes if it uses them so many have bad mouthed certain headphones just because they didnt work in there system not willing to change or even consider that mabey something besides the headphones could be wrong.I dont think you would go wrong with the DT 880 they are a great headphone.Just my thought mabey not the best way but it works for me and could for you.

Oct 25, 2005 at 1:37 PM Post #17 of 19
I believe hd580/600/650 are also semi-open like 880. They all leak some sound, but if you block the air flow to outside, the sound changes just a bit. No overheating problems with neither of them. The grados are truly open cans to compare - sound changes a lot.

Oct 25, 2005 at 10:26 PM Post #18 of 19
I owned the 580s and the k501s at the same time not long ago. They are very different sounding headphones and pretty good compliments (however, neither are very forward if thats the kind of compliment you're looking for). I am not a fan of sennheisers sound and preferred the K501s by far. That said, I now own DT880s and those other two are long gone. Definately a recommended can.

Oct 25, 2005 at 11:46 PM Post #19 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by lionel marechal
Hello,
What was your choices ? after 6 months ?
Did you go for a 580 woody

Lionel

Wow! I'm surprised to see this thread resurected! I did get the MS2's & then also some woody HD600's. I kept all three for a while but eventually sold the 580's to fund a Millet Hybrid amp. Then I picked up an HF-1 & now am waiting for my Hornet!!!

I like them all!!! I really liked the 580's but chose the 600 woodies over them. I like the Grado sound too. It just depends on what I'm listening to & what I'm in the mood for. I agree that amps make a big difference so that is what I'm experimenting with now. I also got a vintage Pioneer amp from my father & it is awesome. It matches really well with the Senns & I like the Hybrid with the Grados.

I suspect that I will look into AKG & maybe Beyer sooner or later! Curiosity always gets the best of me!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back