2nd mon on dual monitor setup won't come on
Feb 6, 2010 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Jubei

Headphoneus Supremus
On a PC I built for a family member, I have a dual monitor set-up (same brand same model) that has worked for several months with no problems whatsoever. However, tonight, PC went on standby and while the primary mon recovered properly, the secondary mon refuses to come back alive and stays "off". The power light of the second mon is green and on, and switched it off and back on again, it did momentarily show the desktop but went black again after less than 5 seconds. The situation did not improve on PC restart - the second mon again showed the windows logo, but went black permanently after that .

The PC runs Win XP SP3 and has DisplayFusion v3.1.6 to help manage the dual mon setup. The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H and I am using the onboard video. I have 2 GB of RAM installed.

What could be the problem and what can I do? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Feb 6, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 7
First thing I would do is unplug it from the computer and the power. Let it sit about 5 min, then try again. If that doesn't work I would try switching the two, put the secondary as the main, and only leave one plugged in. Basically try each of them as a one monitor setup separately. If that doesn't work try it with a different source or contact the manufacture.

Feb 7, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #3 of 7
I've switched the two monitors around and the one that works still works while the one that is giving me problems is still dead.

I should mention that the one that is working is newer and the secondary mon (the one that is not really working) is older and was used a lot (4 years old, pretty much on 10-15 hrs daily if not more). If it didn't power up or show any image at all I would have assumed that it had died on me period. But the 5-10 second displaying on the windows desktop makes me wonder.

Feb 7, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #5 of 7
Tried both DVI and VGA. Both exhibited same symptoms. The power light is green when the display shows the desktop for those 5-10 seconds when it "works" - when the image goes dead (ie black screen) the power light goes orange like on standby.

Haven't tried shining a light on it. What should I look for?

Feb 7, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #6 of 7
led or "tubed" monitor ? sounds like whatever is being used as the light source is dying out could also be the power supply could also be a cable issue. so try changing around what you can first and then look and see if there is anything on their website. just sounds like it lived it's life and it may be time to replace it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back