2nd hand Vestax PDT-5000: advice on upgrade path
Feb 21, 2011 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

discombobulation

100+ Head-Fier
Okay, just picked up a Vestax PDT-5000 for £30...which I understand is a great bargain.
Came with a P-mount Stanton 500 and an Ortofon Concorde Pro S too, though the styli for both of them are absolutely knackered.
I have a 2nd hand Pro-ject Debut II at my parents place, hooked up to a TC-750LC preamp..and that is my turntable background.

I'm just beginning on the whole vinyl journey, and am a starving student, so trying to achieve the best sound quality on a TIGHT budget, ie. looking for biggest bang for the buck (and the buck is literally A BUCK).

The PDT-5000 appears to be in great condition, am planning on hooking it up to some Behringer MS40s.

1) Noob question, but does the Vestax have a built-in phono preamp? I haven't got any cables on hand to try it out yet, and can't figure out whether there is a preamp embedded in the plinth.

2) It has an 'S' shaped tonearm, not the straight one as I believe is present on some of these models. Any particular set-up tips other than the ordinary?

3) Any cheap mods that will help bring more out of the TT? Read about sorbothane padding for the platter...worth doing? Any other mod ideas?

4) Is it worth upgrading the cartridges (either the Stanton 500/Ortofon Concorde Pro S), considering I want to use these for audiophile listening not scratching? Bearing in mind that if I get a P-mount cartridge I can take it back to use on my Pro-ject Debut II as well, whereas if I get an Ortofon stylus it will only be utilised on this TT. But which combination will result in the best audio quality for the least cash?

Sorry for a lot of basic questions, it's quite hard to find info on these TTs, but I have heard good things so am hoping to max them out as my uni listening TT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back