2nd Generation Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies amp/DAC
Sep 6, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #16 of 31
  Anyone upgrade from a gen1 to a gen2 and can describe its sound quality differences? 

I'm debating about upgrading my WA7 gen1 (which I love) but at $499 I'm wondering if it's worth it. $500 could get me a pretty nice used standalone DAC, though at the expense of desktop clutter.  

Have you heard a Sabre DAC, and I mean the better ones? There are some out there that are quite excruciating, to my ears.

The amplifier upgrade is certainly good. The DAC change may be something you like or dislike, based on your tastes. To my ears, many songs are pure heaven, while some others are painful - too resolving sometimes for my personal enjoyment. My recommendation would be to listen to a few Sabre options.

Sep 6, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #17 of 31
IDK... I loved my old WA7 with the SS power supply. I upgraded to the new dac version and said what the hell and also grabbed the tube power supply this time around. I also added some CBS Hytron tubes to it. Through my HD800... would I say it was worth the upgrade? Eh. It's hard to really find any differences. At first I didn't like it- but I attributed that to needing to burn in. Sounds great now. What I would suggest is order one from Audio Advisor or whoever offers a no hassle return policy and try it out maybe. Is it worth $500? I'd say no. If the dac bothers you... maybe grab an outboard dac. I sold my old WA7 and bought new.

Sep 7, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #19 of 31
Thanks for the feedback folks, I think I may hold off. I'm pretty happy with my setup right now (gen1 w/tube power supply, Alpha Primes). I was just curious what the differences in SQ were.

As far as the upgrade details, I emailed Woo Audio to find out…  

Reply from Mike at Woo Audio:
Thank you for your interest in upgrading the DAC on your WA7 Fireflies. The upgrade would replace the entire digital section in your unit. This includes the new 24/384kHz ESS SABRE DAC and XMOS USB controller with “high retention” USB connector (orange color). This is the same digital section used on the latest 2nd gen WA7 Fireflies. 

- for domestic CONUS customers, the cost for the upgrade is $499 which includes parts/labor and return shipping by FedEx Ground. 

- for international customers, he cost for the upgrade is $479 which includes parts/labor. Return shipping cost will be invoiced when your WA7 is ready to go home. 

Please let us know when you’re ready. We will provide you instructions on where to send your WA7.

Thanks for your continued support. Please don’t hesitate to reach out again if you have additional questions. We’re here to help. :)

Sep 8, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #20 of 31
Doesn't say anything about the amp upgrade, or does the 'digital section' include the amp upgrade?

Sep 13, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #22 of 31
Has anyone used a Focal Elear with the WA7?

Sep 27, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #25 of 31
  Who wants a usb only dac anyway?   People sitting at their computer listening to headphones.   That is a subset of the market.   

I sure wish he would make this amp with no dac.   

I'd say that is a huge chunk of the market for a product like this -- a small-footprint dac/amp with a "desk-friendly" design for those who want power without a pile of larger components to deal with. Yes, we're surely paying more for the "coolness" factor, but arguably so does anyone who owns a Mac :wink:  

The WA7 has RCA inputs, but surely the "amp only" version is essentially the WA6

Oct 1, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #27 of 31
I tried these today, and while excellent, the owner said that the tubes were going haywire which made the amp weaker than normal. Has anyone else had this problem?

What does haywire mean???

Oct 1, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #28 of 31
I tried these today, and while excellent, the owner said that the tubes were going haywire which made the amp weaker than normal. Has anyone else had this problem?

Tubes in the power supply or amp? And how do you define "going haywire"? If one or more tubes was dying, then of course it would affect the output. Just buy a couple of new tubes, surely?

Oct 2, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #29 of 31
Do the newer TP models have a wobbly power button as well?

Nov 6, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #30 of 31
Hey all,

I was also considering the upgrade however $499 was a turn off for me. Although I am happy with my 1gen when I use an external dac I seem to like it better hence the reason for my upgrade :) what I would like to know is if anyone compared the 2 different version and is it worth the $499?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back