2nd gen Shuffle static noise
Feb 11, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #121 of 140
A few people have reported the same hiss with the 1st gen as 2nd gen. For me with the CX300 I get loads with the 2nd gen and little to none with the 1st Gen. Perhaps some 1st gens have it and some don't?
confused.gif

Feb 11, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #122 of 140
I went through 3 2g Shuffles (v1) and they all had hiss. Some seemed better than others- 1st one- ok, second one- pretty bad, third one- about the same as the first.

I bought a new orange 2g Shuffle to test out the SQ and it sounds almost identical to the better of the v1 models. I think this is a YMMV kind of thing.

That being said, the music sounds pretty good out of them- especially with e500s- and I forget about the hiss after listening for a while. I feel the benefit of the form factor outweighs the annoyance of a hiss that doesn't even really bother me.

Feb 11, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #125 of 140
I hate the dock with the 2g. But then I don't like to "wear" my music players, my pocket is fine. Something like the shuffle you can use with out looking at the screen is perfect for pocket use! IMO. each to their own of course.
wink.gif

Feb 14, 2007 at 1:17 PM Post #126 of 140
I just got one of the new shuffles, and the hiss is unbearable on my jvc marshmallows, but I can barely hear it on my senn px100. Apparently the shuffle is no good for those who have sensitive earphones.

Feb 15, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #127 of 140
Just picked up a 2g Green for my GF. I was surprised, the unit sounds pretty decent, the bass rolloff isn't really an issue for this thing! On the other hand it does sound a bit more colored than a 5g Video.

There is a pretty noticeable white noise in moments of silence though
frown.gif
For $80 I/she can live with it.

Feb 19, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #128 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Sneis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the other hand it does sound a bit more colored than a 5g Video.

There is a pretty noticeable white noise in moments of silence though
frown.gif
For $80 I/she can live with it.

I agree, on both. I finally hooked mine up and did the F/W upgrade. Yup, that's white noise! Also, in a comparison with the 5G, especially with classical, it seems to have some overstated mids and just does not seem to be as accurate as the 5G's headphone out. FYI, I was using e4s and the noise is so apparant to me, but is then masked at three volume clicks.

This is a good backup (in a pinch) for the 5G and will be used primarily for the gym or on the bike.

Feb 20, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #129 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by clef360 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got one of the new shuffles, and the hiss is unbearable on my jvc marshmallows, but I can barely hear it on my senn px100. Apparently the shuffle is no good for those who have sensitive earphones.

That was my experience too. PMX100's were ok but CX300's were bad.

Feb 21, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #130 of 140
Anyone use a 2G colored shuffle with the KSC75's? Any problems there?

Feb 26, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #132 of 140
Im using the 2G Colored Shuffle. The noise is audible at low music volumes and when paused on my pair of Sennheiser noisegards.

Feb 26, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #133 of 140
I have a new Orange Shuffle and run it through the E4C and E2C's. There is a slight hiss during pause but sounds pretty decent with high-quality rips. Again, for $80 its sweet.

May 3, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #135 of 140
Well I got my orange 2G Shuffle without reading any reviews, because I decided that it's what I wanted for exercise and easy syncing with my pre-existing iTunes library. Until just now I'd only been using it for that task, and no critical listening, but I thought I'd come here to check out what people thought of it.

This "hiss" problem seems to be pretty damn small on this model. I have to put the volume so low as to hardly be able to hear the song to notice it at all (using marshmallows). Using Grado SR80s it is completely inaudible - they are hardly high impedance!

If a song isn't playing, then using the marshmallows you can make out the slightest hiss. I checked my colour iPod 4G as a comparison, and the paused-mode hiss is indeed louder on the Shuffle. However, at a guess I'd say it's at (the very) least 10 times more quiet than general recording hiss.

Perhaps I just dropped lucky?

Either way when exercising I'll never hear it, ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back