2nd gen Shuffle static noise
Jan 6, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #106 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All technically correct of course, except that you missed the word "irony" in my post.
icon10.gif

oops
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
youre right...

Jan 6, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #107 of 140
There's a guy on another forum I frequent that I sold two shuffles to using UE Super.fi.5 pros and Shure ER-4Ps....I dunno if those are dece enough to give any hissing feedback, as I've never listened to any dece IEMs, but those are really the only two people that reported back that have any kind of real headphones.

Nobody else on here that got them told me what cans they have, or if there was a hiss, but the guy on the other forum told me he was surprised by the new shuffle not hissing. That's really the reason I assumed it was solved. but, like some said, some shuffles were better off than others, and I assumed since both of his had no hiss, none of the batch I had had hiss....

Jan 6, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #109 of 140
Geez, there's lots of unconfirmed evidence on here! I've been holding off to buy one of these ever since my Gen 1 shuffle decided it wouldnt work with itunes 7. Mostly just for gym work, but this does sound like some sort of serious issue.

I will be using CX300's with it, so the problem would likely effect me... I'm hoping some sort of fix comes out soon.

Jan 6, 2007 at 10:12 AM Post #110 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchjordan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Geez, there's lots of unconfirmed evidence on here! I've been holding off to buy one of these ever since my Gen 1 shuffle decided it wouldnt work with itunes 7. Mostly just for gym work, but this does sound like some sort of serious issue.

I will be using CX300's with it, so the problem would likely effect me... I'm hoping some sort of fix comes out soon.

I thought Apple finally fixed that problem with the 1G ?

Jan 7, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #112 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by OGTL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Roffle burger, did a Ety mate with a pair of E4C?

Whoops...What? I'm all jacked up...
eek.gif

Jan 31, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #114 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by stinkpot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if anyone gets a chance to try some high-sensitivity IEM on the new colored shuffles, i'd love to hear if the SQ has changed at all ...

- ld

www.stinkpot.org

I just received an email from Apple about the new color Shuffles. If anyone got the new ones and tried it with sensitive IEMs (e.g. Shure E4c), please report back here. If the hissing is gone on the new ones, I'm selling my current Shuffle and getting an orange one.

Jan 31, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #115 of 140
Well, ze crafty testers use their own equipement to test stuff. So hard facts can be biased only so much by marketing.

Cool thing is these facts really bring out the fanboyism in the thread...

Sources:

www.pcmag.com ; http://home.comcast.net./~machrone/ ; http://hifiipod.co.uk ; www.pcwelt.de

Heres the disortion facts:

Ipod Shuffle 2. Gen very low power single-ended, capacitor-coupled output.

THD+N (%) 0,140(Best 0,006)
Frequenz 20 Hz (dB) 0,21(Best 0,01)
Frequenz 20 kHz (dB) 0,57(Best 0,03)

Ipod Shuffle 1. Gen push-pull output
THD+N (%) 0,0085(Best 0,006)
Frequenz 20 Hz (dB) 0,08(Best 0,08)
Frequenz 20kHz (dB) -2,23(Best 0,04)

ALSO: Testing chain: External loopback (line-out - line-in)
Sampling mode: 16-bit, 44 kHz headphones into motu 828:
Frequency response (from 40 Hz to 15 kHz), dB: +0.04, -0.22Very good
Noise level, dB (A): -104.7Excellent
Dynamic range, dB (A): 88.1Good
THD, %: 0.0097Very good
IMD + Noise, %: 0.014Very good
Stereo crosstalk, dB: -105.5Excellent
IMD at 10 kHz, %: 0.016Very good

THEN:
40-Hz square wave:

Pretty much stays that way under load:

Zen micro + others look more like this under load: (edit: Zen Micro delivers a clean wave without load.)

Summary: 1. Gen is a clean driving powerfull little thing. Sounds great too.
[size=large]2. Gen sucks. Really bad.[/size]

That is all.
3000smile.gif

Feb 5, 2007 at 10:20 AM Post #117 of 140
Just picked up an orange shuffle, and it's a bit of a mixed bag. The sound is awesome, but the noise is pretty noticeable with e500s. I was able to make it go away by attaching the shure volume attenuator set to low, but it strikes me as an unnecessarily complicated solution to a problem that shouldn't even have existed in the first place.

Then again, I still can't get over how impossibly handy this thing is. The noise I suppose I can live with, since it's only really audible when the shuffle isn't playing.

Feb 5, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #118 of 140
Im using 2nd gen silver shuffle and hear just a tiny bit of noise (and that's with ER4S), but just when music is turned off but shuffle is on. Well for the size it is Im not that concerned about the SQ, I use it for gym/hiking, that is mostly when Im focusing on something other than the quality of music. Moreover SQ is good enough for me.

Feb 11, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #119 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by FatCat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I....Well for the size it is Im not that concerned about the SQ,...

If its good enough for you thats one thing. But the size has got nothing to do with the SQ.

Feb 11, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #120 of 140
i used the xin supermicro with the 2nd gen and some cx300 and some vibes yesterday and without the xin there was noticeable hiss in both old and new shuffle, but more with the new one. then, i turn the gain way up on the new and old shuffle and down on the xin supermicro and there is very little hiss at all, to the level of a normal ipod or other dap (other than md player).

i expect the um2 which was almost too loud with hiss to listen to, to be about similar performance... with the xin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back