2nd G nano Damage Report.
Nov 20, 2006 at 1:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Nomada

Head-Fier
I find this gen to be almost as easy to damage as the 1st gen. I've chipped the aluminum in quite a few places from falls, scratched the screen up some & have managed to scratch up the casing too. I'm not b#!*@ing; I'm hard on players & that always factors into what I purchase. Just sayin'.

Anyone else notice that the aluminum does tend to chip & dent pretty easily from minor falls as well? Also, my clickwheel has come into its own since purchase. Used to be kinda noisy & seated funny, but now it's pretty good.

Nov 20, 2006 at 1:28 PM Post #2 of 10
I think the hard edges will inevitably chip if the edge touches something else that's also sharp/metal. For example, my black 8GB now almost has a silver line on the top edge because I stupidly had my watch in the same trouser pocket a few times.

But the aluminium surfaces (as opposed to edges) seem to be quite hard wearing (immaculate so far, and probably will stay that way now that I have a Sleevz case for it), and I suppose I can always paint the chipped edges with a black Sanford
tongue.gif

Nov 20, 2006 at 1:59 PM Post #3 of 10
I accidently put a 2G nano in a pocket with my keys. A scratch still appeared on the back, but no I found it much more scratch resistant than the 1G nano. Arctechnica had similar findings. I don't think there's much of a similarity, though certainly both can be damaged.

Nov 20, 2006 at 5:49 PM Post #4 of 10
I have a friend in school who almost folded his nano in half. He wasnt paying attention while getting up and put it in his back pocket with his keys. He sat back down right on the nano and its like someone tried to fold the thing in 2.

It will still power on, but it wont play anything nor does the screen do anything but light up....no picture or anything.

He is lucky and its a older 1gb model. Time for a upgrade...best question was..

"You think i can send it back to Apple?" HAHAHAHAHA

Nov 20, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #5 of 10
Why don't you spend the $5 on eBay for an aluminum carrying case? Still get the same look but don't have to worry about dents and scratches.

Just my opinion.

PS I'd love to hear Apple's explanation on not replacing the folded Nano. They would probably be speachless.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 21, 2006 at 7:37 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoNB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't you spend the $5 on eBay for an aluminum carrying case? Still get the same look but don't have to worry about dents and scratches.

Just my opinion.

PS I'd love to hear Apple's explanation on not replacing the folded Nano. They would probably be speachless.
smily_headphones1.gif

A couple reasons;

It's too late
I don't deal w/ eBay

Like I said; I'm not bitching; I was just curious if anyone else's iPod suffered the same fate.

Nov 21, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoNB /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just my opinion.

smily_headphones1.gif

Adds too much bulkyness.

I bought one of those iPod socks off ebay, just for when i stuff it in my pocket with my keys.

I dented the top of my 8gig Nano, by dropping it on the top edge onto my desk, from a height of about 2-3 inches. Ridiculous. I'm afraid i'll scratch up the screen when I pull it out of my pocket, so I have an EXiM screen protector (i find them better than invisible shields) comming in the mail.

Nov 22, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #8 of 10
It is far more scratch-resistant than plastic which was the main concern with the older ipod model, but just be careful. I had all aluminium MD players, recorders, manganesium models too and no matter what the model, it was always in a case, never dropped, never put near keys or other metal objects. Manganesium is softer and less prone to chipping, but dents easier and folds.

Aluminium is brittle and no matter the construction, it will chip. My bicycle made of a quite decent 7005 triple butted aluminium got a small dent (in a place that makes me worry -crossbar) just from a small flying stone.

Why treat a piece of 100-300$ equipment like a pair of keys? I am amazed at the stories I hear and people complain.
blink.gif

Nov 22, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #9 of 10
I'm mystified at the complaints as well. The idea was to make it more scratch resistant and it certainly is compared to the 1st gen but for heaven's sake: that does NOT mean it's indestructible!
blink.gif

Nov 22, 2006 at 3:09 PM Post #10 of 10
Man, I've been Jonesin' for one of the 2G Nanos lately, but I think I'll stick w/ my 2G Mini. I've had that thing for 2 years, and there isn't a scratch or a mark on it. But I'm pretty careful w/ stuff and put it in one of those coocoon style cases when transporting it. But I'm also thinking that due to the design & form factor of the 2G Nano, the aluminum itself is thinner than the aluminum on the Mini?

Maybe you guys are expecting too much from something that's 1/4" thick and made of thin aluminum?

Regarding the fact that your friend's Nano almost folded when he sat down w/ it in his back pocket--- that's an easy one! Don't put something that thin in your back pocket, sit down and not expect it to break. That's just dumb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back