2GB+ Flash Players?
Jul 22, 2005 at 8:41 PM Post #2 of 10
Well, there's players with SD card slots, such as the Sandisk Sansa, the Rio Forge/Chiba/Cali, and a couple of Lexar players. I personally own the 1 GB Sansa, I got it for a pretty decent price ($86 shipped after rebate.) But it's rather wide for a flash player, I think it's actually a mite larger than the Rio Carbon (EDIT: much lighter though.) It's very weird about file organization, all of my WMA files are pretty well ordered, and yet the player will not go by track listing. It seems to work on alphabetization, and although I could just rename the files with the number in front, it's a pain. Also, I really can't I'm satisfied with the sound quality. The SRS Wow equalizer was maxed out on default, including the "Tru Bass," and every track I listened to had very audible distortion. I turned the entire thing off, and it sounds mediocre. I bought it for the price and potential capacity, and since I'm only going to be using this when working/exercising, I don't think I'm going to be scrutinizing the sound too much. One thing I enjoy on this player is the large screen (for a flash player.) But let me be clear: while I'm not going to return it, if I had the chance to make the decision again, I absolutely wouldn't go the same route.

I prefer the concept of expanable memory flash players over others for fairly obvious reasons: larger capacities are coming out (2 GB SD cards are out there) and the prices on them are always dropping.

Among the players that I mentioned, the Lexar LDP-600 seems pretty well regarded, and the 512MB version can be found under $85 shipped in a couple places. The integrated FM transmitter is a very nice touch, among other things. I find the Rio players to be too large and expensive to spring for.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...zip_code=01844

Hope this helps.

EDIT: I really need to learn to limit my use of parentheses...

Jul 22, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 10
Woo. Talk about info. That's great. I'm definately going to look into this Lexar. Thanks a lot for all of that and your experiences. Great stuff.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Osaire
I dislike the 480 file limit on iAudio 5 players.

With a firmware patch they've got it up to 650 files. Another great feature, the firmware upgrades.

Jul 22, 2005 at 9:40 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by OlManRivah
With a firmware patch they've got it up to 650 files. Another great feature, the firmware upgrades.

Is that confirmed? I kept reading firmware couldn't fix it.

Edit: Nevermind, it says it on the site itself!

So is this now the best internal memory only flash player out there?

Jul 22, 2005 at 9:53 PM Post #6 of 10
Refurb Rio chibas are available for $50 - Rio only guarentees that they work with 1 gig cards although people say that there are no problems with the 2 gig cards. I have a 256mb chiba with a 1 gig card ($45 ecost) and am very pleased with it. Can't wait for to see 5 gig cards at that price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back