2ch Stereo Speaker Upgrade
May 8, 2007 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

M3NTAL

Headphoneus Supremus
I am currently running a 5.1 system in my loft with Pinnacle - Black Diamond mains/center/surrounds and a DIY Ascendent Audio Avalanche 15" for sub duty.

For my much smaller bedroom I want to run just a 2 channel stereo setup - computer being the source then fed through a 2 channel amp or receiver.

I listen to mostly electronic music (John Digweed, Sasha, Etc.) so I would need smooth FR down pretty low. I have been looking at the AV123 Mini-Strata, but I am not sure if they are going to be too big for my room or not or if I can accomplish high-end sound for under 1,500.

Thanks

May 8, 2007 at 7:18 AM Post #2 of 8
Strata Mini would definitely be a top contender for me at that price range. Will go down low and has a sweet sound to it. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I have a pair.
wink.gif

May 18, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #3 of 8
If you need both a reciever/integrated amp and speakers (both) for $1500, consider a used Creek or Musical Fidelity integrated amp ($300) with a pair of Dynaudio 50's or even better 1.3 mk II's. VERY high end sound for $1500.
Look on Audiogon.
-
If you want to spend more on an integrated amp that ROCKS, with a less expensive speaker, look at the Krell 300i ($1000 used). Pair that up with the Paradigm Studio 20's (under $500) or the Dynsudio 50's and you may never listen to your other system again. For the type of music you describe, the Krell would be an awesome choice.

Other speakers to consider Totem model one's, Aeriel Acoustic 5's, Traingle Comete ES or Titus, even the Paradigm Studio 20's would all do well. With some combinations of the above, you would get very quality sound for even less money.

May 18, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #4 of 8
what phon-o-phile said. . . .

i would through in a rotel integrated as an option -- good sound and cheaper than the krell.

May 18, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #5 of 8
You may not believe me, but some of the older 70's receivers were 'built like tanks', and sound incredible when hooked up to revealing speakers. As an example, 'Pioneer' made the 'SX' series back then, and I picked up an 'SX-780' for about a hundred bucks on Ebay (near mint condition). I have it hooked up to a pair of Magnepan (Magneplanar) MMG's, and the sound is 'to die for'! Incredible timbral accuracy, lots of air, detail, and believability in my music to say the least. The only thing the 'baby Maggies' won't do is go down super low in the bass department, but the bass that is there is ample and very accurate in my opinion. Nothing that a small, fast sub can't fix (like a 'HSU'). By the way, electronic music on this setup is sick!

May 18, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #6 of 8
I agree with both of the above posts.
A rotel integrated is also a good option.
AND if you do go the 1970's receiver route, consider a Marantz receiver from back then as well as the Pioneers. Well regarded and resale is still very brisk. DO NOT find a receiver from the early 80's that starts to look thinner and more high tech. They all sounded awful!

May 18, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #8 of 8
trends audio ta10.1 integrated.
believe the hype! i still cannot bring myself to believe this miniature marvel spits out a spectacular soundstage and credible dynamics.

With the $$ saved on an amp, you can channel more funds into bookshelves as well as a DAC for your PC; the $1500 budget on good sound can definitely be achieved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back