2A3 Tubes Lets hear your favorites
Mar 29, 2014 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Crashem

500+ Head-Fier
I'm especially interested in hearing pro/con of EML Mesh vs. EML Solid vs. NOS RCA dual black plate vs NOS RCA dual grey plate vs. NOS Ken Rad 2a3. Of course any others I am definitely interested in such as JJs, Sophia's, etc. Getting Eddie Current 2A3 MKIV so I need 4 tubes. Not sure if I can swing getting 2 sets of 4 tubes so could really use the advice. Btw, anyone know who manufactured the Ward Airlines Super 2a3s?

Mar 31, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #2 of 11
Hmmm. No 2A3 lovers? In any case, anyone in Bay Area with a 2a3 amp so I can test out the tubes I am buying?

Apr 23, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #3 of 11
Hmmm. No 2A3 lovers? In any case, anyone in Bay Area with a 2a3 amp so I can test out the tubes I am buying?

bump to the thread! I know many discussed tube choices on amp forums but -- come on people! -- lets have a stop shop for info on these tubes.
I have no experience with tubes at all. I have only heard stock 2A3s that came with my Stratus (i think they are Shuguang but IDK what model) and 2A3z from Shuguang. I was going for the get the most tube-like sound to feed my HD800 and AKG phones and got just that with the upgrade. Nice warm tube mids and good bass. And if you think HD800 is treble happy (which I don't) you need to hear them though a decent DAC and 2A3z tubes. My 2 cents. 

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #4 of 11
So far I have gathered the following 2a3:

NOS RCA dual black plates
NOS RCA dual gray plates
EML 2A3 solid (although thinking of trading in for mesh)

2a3 tubes I am thinking about or would love to try:

NOS 2a3 mono plates
NOS KEN RAD
NOS AVVT Mesh
EML whatever version I don't have
Psvane WR2A3
Psvane WE275
Psvane treasure t2 2a3

Apr 24, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #5 of 11
Used in DNA Stratus with Marconi U52 rectifier and cryo pearl 6N1P: I have tried EML mesh plates, RCA dual gray plates, Psvane Treasure T Mk II and Psvane WR2A3. EML meshplates are very smooth, quiet, rich, full and balanced. RCA dual gray plates are nice but the EMLs are in a different league. EMLs are elegant sounding tubes. Only the Psvane tubes (that I can't recommend) sounded better to me than the EMLs.

The Psvane tubes are my hated favorite. Why? The WR2A3s, in particular, are very full, open and airy without being bright or harsh, more extension on top and better defined bass than EMLs. WR2A3s are dynamic, musical and exciting souding. Horns and electric guitars have more grit and bite but they aren't grainy. Hard to explain but they sound faster and make the EMLs sound too polite in comparison.

BUT I have come to hate Psvane tubes because they tease me with their great sound. They keep sounding better and better as they burn-in. THEN they develop low level ticking, squealing, sputtering. I can ignore it on louder passages but completely ruins the experience during quieter passages or softer music. Grrrr!

To confirm the Psvane experience is more than just bad luck, I first purchased a matched pair of the Treasure MkIIs. They sounded great for 20-30 hrs, then one started acting up. I was sent a replacement tube and while waiting, the other tube started making noise. Then the replacement tube (3rd) began acting up within a few hours. I returned for refund. 6 mos. later I got brave and purchased matched pair of WR2A3s. They started making noise after less than 2hrs use. I returned them for another pair. The replacement pair lasted longer than the others, about 30 hrs. but now one has started making the same noise I experience with all Psvane tubes. So, out of 7 brand new tubes, only 2 did NOT develop noise. At least not yet. Double Grrrr!

Shuguang Natural Sound could be a similar sound without the problems but it is getting very expensive returning tubes to China for a refund if they have problems. If I had never heard the Psvane tubes, I would be quite content with the EML meshplates that I am listening to now.

I am going to have Donald North look at my amp to be sure none of this is amp related but, I have had no similar experience with any other brand. 

If you try the Psvane WR2A3s, please share your experience. I would love nothing more than to find that Psvane has identified a production problem that they have solved eliminating the kind of experience I had. Those tubes sound amazing....until they don't.

Apr 24, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #6 of 11
  Used in DNA Stratus with Marconi U52 rectifier and cryo pearl 6N1P: I have tried EML mesh plates, RCA dual gray plates, Psvane Treasure T Mk II and Psvane WR2A3. EML meshplates are very smooth, quiet, rich, full and balanced. RCA dual gray plates are nice but the EMLs are in a different league. EMLs are elegant sounding tubes. Only the Psvane tubes (that I can't recommend) sounded better to me than the EMLs.

The Psvane tubes are my hated favorite. Why? The WR2A3s, in particular, are very full, open and airy without being bright or harsh, more extension on top and better defined bass than EMLs. WR2A3s are dynamic, musical and exciting souding. Horns and electric guitars have more grit and bite but they aren't grainy. Hard to explain but they sound faster and make the EMLs sound too polite in comparison.

BUT I have come to hate Psvane tubes because they tease me with their great sound. They keep sounding better and better as they burn-in. THEN they develop low level ticking, squealing, sputtering. I can ignore it on louder passages but completely ruins the experience during quieter passages or softer music. Grrrr!

To confirm the Psvane experience is more than just bad luck, I first purchased a matched pair of the Treasure MkIIs. They sounded great for 20-30 hrs, then one started acting up. I was sent a replacement tube and while waiting, the other tube started making noise. Then the replacement tube (3rd) began acting up within a few hours. I returned for refund. 6 mos. later I got brave and purchased matched pair of WR2A3s. They started making noise after less than 2hrs use. I returned them for another pair. The replacement pair lasted longer than the others, about 30 hrs. but now one has started making the same noise I experience with all Psvane tubes. So, out of 7 brand new tubes, only 2 did NOT develop noise. At least not yet. Double Grrrr!

Shuguang Natural Sound could be a similar sound without the problems but it is getting very expensive returning tubes to China for a refund if they have problems. If I had never heard the Psvane tubes, I would be quite content with the EML meshplates that I am listening to now.

I am going to have Donald North look at my amp to be sure none of this is amp related but, I have had no similar experience with any other brand. 

If you try the Psvane WR2A3s, please share your experience. I would love nothing more than to find that Psvane has identified a production problem that they have solved eliminating the kind of experience I had. Those tubes sound amazing....until they don't.

Thanks for your insights! Saved me some cash! But sorry for your experience. 

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #7 of 11

Got my 2A3 AMP (EC 2A3 MKIV). Been testing between my EML Solid and RCA Black Plates.

Had a question for you on the PS VANE. Really curious about the WR2A3 and WR275, but all the bad experiences are scaring me as I need 4 tubes for my amp. So my question is if you got your tubes from Grant Fidelity? I have heard they do some pre selection of tubes so maybe better failure rate? I think I am just looking for an excuse to try them out.

Jul 8, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #8 of 11
I thought I responded to this but see I didn't. Probably too late. My apologies. I purchased WR2A3s from Grant Fidelity and they do bench test them before sending but problems don't usually occur right away. Seems to take 2-20 hrs. I would buy tubes from them again... just not the Psvane's.

Jul 9, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #9 of 11
I thought I responded to this but see I didn't. Probably too late. My apologies. I purchased WR2A3s from Grant Fidelity and they do bench test them before sending but problems don't usually occur right away. Seems to take 2-20 hrs. I would buy tubes from them again... just not the Psvane's.

any comment on the sound and how they compare to other 2a3 you have tried.

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #10 of 11
As stated earlier, the WR2A3s are the best tube I have heard in my Stratus. But, at least for me, they always start sputtering, spitting or making other noises after awhile. No other tubes compare in sound quality to my ears but no other tubes develop the weird noises. If you buy from Grant Fidelity, I'm sure they will refund your money if you have problems but be sure to let them burn in well before they go out of warranty or you may regret it.

Jul 12, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #11 of 11
As stated earlier, the WR2A3s are the best tube I have heard in my Stratus. But, at least for me, they always start sputtering, spitting or making other noises after awhile. No other tubes compare in sound quality to my ears but no other tubes develop the weird noises. If you buy from Grant Fidelity, I'm sure they will refund your money if you have problems but be sure to let them burn in well before they go out of warranty or you may regret it.

Ian from Grant is suffering from cancer. Might want to drop him encouraging note.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back