2A3 tube dilemma - EML or NOS
Nov 23, 2005 at 12:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Organizer for Can Jam '09
I would like some opinions about whether or not to get the Emission Labs 2A3 mesh or a NOS/vintage 2A3 mono/bi plate(s)?

Should I buy a matched pair of EML 2A3 Mesh for around $400? Or should I buy a similar priced matched pair of NOS/vintage RCA, National Union, Ken-Rad, or Sylvania 2A3 mono/bi plate(s)?

Probably within my price range, I could only afford the NOS bi-plates. I am also considering used vintage 2A3s. But has anyone listened/compared EML 2A3 Mesh and any NOS/vintage 2A3s?

What would be the best bang for my buck, (i.e., sound and reliability). Any help would be great.

Nov 23, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #2 of 9
First off I have been lead to believe that mesh plates have a sound of there own so it would be hard to compare them to NOS bi-plates. Otherwise either way is OK. I think I heard of some quality control issues with the EL mesh plates but maybe not. How about the Sophia mesh plates at $340 a pair thereabouts? There mesh plates are made by TJ Full Music.
Sophia.com I think.
tongue.gif

Nov 23, 2005 at 5:03 AM Post #3 of 9
Thanks, Mikey. I also heard about those reliability issues with the EML 45 Mesh, but haven't found that much info with respect to the same problem with EML 2A3 Mesh.

I contacted Emission Labs (Jac) and he told me that there had been some problems initially with the Mesh, yet he assured me that it has been resolved with the current production.

I'll take a closer look at those Sophia mesh plates, you mentioned.

I wish I could hear a matched pair of RCA 2A3 monoplates. I wonder how they actually compare to current " supposed best" production 2A3 mesh plates such as Emission Labs or Sophia?
confused.gif

Nov 23, 2005 at 10:38 AM Post #4 of 9
Nov 23, 2005 at 7:33 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt. Z
You could try your luck here on Audio Asylum Tube forum. Lots of tube freaks around there.

Hey man, who you calling a freak? I just have a SMALL obsession about tubes, that's all. A very small obsession. You can't even call it an obsession, really.
biggrin.gif
Looks like you have lots of tube gears too, are you a freak also?
600smile.gif

Nov 23, 2005 at 7:55 PM Post #6 of 9
I've been doing some research with this tube type as I am waiting for a tube amp to arrive from China in the near future. I have just ordered two pairs of Sovtek 2A3s from Russia. According to the posts I've read, these are not too bad. (Unlike their notorious 6DJ8/6922 tubes) The EH gold plate/gold pins are supposed to be good too. Both of these have received good reviews from reviewers like Art Dudley and other Asylum inmates. I have not heard any of them myself. So you might want to do a search on Tube Asylum per Capt. Z's suggestion. Also try the SET asylum as well.

You can get a matched pair of TJ 2A3 for $239 + $18 shipping to US from Hong Kong. Tubes comes with a one-year warranty from DIY HIFI Supply.

How about the KR2A3 for $350/pr?

Nov 23, 2005 at 9:04 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by gundam91
Hey man, who you calling a freak? I just have a SMALL obsession about tubes, that's all. A very small obsession. You can't even call it an obsession, really.
biggrin.gif
Looks like you have lots of tube gears too, are you a freak also?
600smile.gif

Hey;

For me it's no tube - no music. I just love the sound from tube gear. Tooooooooobs rule.
My integrated amp and my phono pre amp are fully tube based too.
icon10.gif

Jun 6, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #8 of 9
Have tried many 2A3 tubes but for me the new production is best sounding.
Nos 2A3 are good but f.e. the Eml and Full Music are a little bit better in lower and upper frequencies. Kr tubes are the best i heard.

The mesh adds a special colour of sound to the music and you have to like it or not.
Lot depends on the music you play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back