28 Days Later
Jun 12, 2003 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Sol_Zhen

Takes his kids to the natatorium every morning.
I have a few words about 28 Days later after viewing my Region 2 PAL release: Go get your tickets. The preview is this Friday at 10PM in 28 cities.
biggrin.gif
That’s all.

OK, I’ll elaborate a bit more without giving spoilers or anything concerning the main characters away. I’m sure most of you have seen Trainspotting? Well, same director here, a Mr. Danny Boyle. The film carries the same admirable direction into the horror genre. If you recall the creepy “dead baby on the ceiling” scene from Trainspotting, then I’m sure you’ll agree that Danny can carry off that type of atmosphere and shock.

The good news? It’s not a traditional post-apocalyptic Zombie flick even though it seems to begin that way. By the third act you’ll discover the better news -- it retains the thrills, gore, and visceral excitement that only a Zombie film can make both horrific and fun at the same time.

There is gore, but it’s not as liberal as in exploitation horror cinema. Gore fiends may be a bit let down, but what is there is well done and works. Horror aficionados will notice that several scenes pay homage to several of Romero’s Zombie films. Most noticeably, one scene in a supermarket that is decidedly inspired by Dawn of the Dead. I’m sure it’s intentional and not only did it work in 28 Days Later, but the similarity also made me smile.

The film has been out in the UK for a while now, and I’ve read some viewers complaints about the Zombies, about how they don’t move in a slow and lumbering pace like Romero’s living dead. Well, given the premise of 28 Days Later, their griping is unfounded. Given the premise, these are not traditional Zombies – they’re not living dead, but more dangerous.

As a genre piece, it satisfies. But isn’t as uncomfortable to watch as truly scary horror should be. I was having a great time viewing it. It’s more like American Werewolf in London or Evil Dead scary.

Recommended.

Jun 12, 2003 at 3:07 AM Post #2 of 29
The trailer reminded me alot the end of resident evil. I always had the impression that it was a cheap knockoff until I saw the first 10 mins of the movie on quicktime. It does show some potential and I hope to watch it soon.

Jun 12, 2003 at 5:17 AM Post #3 of 29
Go here to see the trailer, the first 6 minutes, and to find out if your city is part of the 28 city preview this Friday at 10PM.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 12, 2003 at 5:45 AM Post #4 of 29
****. God, I wish I had friends. I have no one with whom to see the sneak preview.

God damn. These are the times when being a loser hermit bites you in the ass.

Arghhh... can't wait to see it!

- Chris

Jun 12, 2003 at 5:47 AM Post #5 of 29
Just go, and wear a red shirt!
biggrin.gif

Jun 12, 2003 at 6:00 AM Post #6 of 29
There is a good review of this movie in this months Uncut magazine. I'm not big on horror movies, but this one looks really good.

Jun 12, 2003 at 6:06 AM Post #7 of 29
Here is a good review in Slant.
biggrin.gif
After reading that, I ordered the DVD from the UK.

I'll catch it again in the theater, but the DVD has some good extras.

Here are screen shots of the menus that I took:
28_DAYS01.jpg

-
28_DAYS02.jpg

-
28_DAYS03.jpg

-
28_DAYS04.jpg

Jun 12, 2003 at 6:38 AM Post #8 of 29
So you can actually get this on DVD now? Maybe the review I read was under new DVD releases?
confused.gif

Jun 12, 2003 at 6:56 AM Post #9 of 29
I got a fairly good quality copy off of the a.b.m.d NG a couple of weeks ago and thought it was OK. It was quite different from the George (not Cesar-my mistake!) Romero school of zombie gore and actually tried to follow and develop the main characters more than one would expect from this type of genre.

No real innovations, though, and pretty predictable storyline. I had expected a more original take on the genre but at least its better than "Friday the 13th".

Jun 12, 2003 at 6:59 AM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by spaceman
So you can actually get this on DVD now? Maybe the review I read was under new DVD releases?
confused.gif

As I stated, it's the Region 2 PAL release on DVD. That's DVD geek-speak for an England release. It won't play on US players or TVs.

You need a region free DVD player that can do PAL to NTSC conversion to play it in the US.

The film was released theatrically in the UK back in November 2002. It's just being released theatrically in the US this month; the preview is this Friday.

I imported the DVD from the UK. If you have a universal DVD player, you can import from many sites. I ordered this from blackstar.co.uk, but you can order from most UK sites such as amazon.co.uk. There are also great sites for importing from other European countries and Asian regions.

I love importing.
biggrin.gif
The rest of you just get to see the movie this month, but I’ve already seen it I can listen to the commentary on the disc and see the extras when I feel like it.

In most cases, the US releases are better, but occasionally other regions get better releases.

An example of a title that’s worth importing from Region 2 is the Predator: SE released there. It has a much better anamorphic picture plus loads of extras. The US release is very weak by comparison.

Jun 12, 2003 at 7:03 AM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by BoyElroy
I got a fairly good quality copy off of the a.b.m.d NG a couple of weeks ago and thought it was OK. It was quite different from the Cesar Romero school of zombie gore and actually tried to follow and develop the main characters more than one would expect from this type of genre.

No real innovations, though, and pretty predictable storyline. I had expected a more original take on the genre but at least its better than "Friday the 13th".

But, it's not a typical Zombie flick. It may pay homage to the Romero movies in a couple scenes, but it is a new type of Zombie movie and far better than any we’ve seen in the last decade.

As for "no innovations," I guess you mean in set-pieces or gore. Because it delves more into the story and characters than any other Zombie flick, I venture to say that it is more innovative than most in those respects.

Sure, you can see a couple things coming from a mile away (if you’re paying attention), but it’s a fresh take on the genre. And it is not a slasher flick like Friday the 13th.
wink.gif

All horror buffs must check it out.

Jun 12, 2003 at 7:18 AM Post #12 of 29
Well, I suppose that the real innovation, if it can be called that, is that Boyle takes the typical "trapped in a mall/house" zombie film and turns it into an extended chase scene where the bad guys happen to be dead. The only real surprise here is that the director/DP somehow manages to shoot London as if it really were empty.

And I thought that the real antecedent for "28 Days" wasn't so much George Romero, but "The Omega Man" (1971) by Boris Sagal.

Jun 12, 2003 at 7:25 AM Post #13 of 29
Meh. Omega Man doesn't really fall into that genre. Unless you count 28 Days Later as a post-apocalyptic movie rather than a Zombie flick set in a post-apocalyptic world.

<<SPOILERS>>But then again, the world wasn’t really post-apocalyptic at the end was it? Only England.
tongue.gif
<</SPOILERS>>

Anyway, I liked it and that’s all that counts for me.
biggrin.gif

Jun 12, 2003 at 7:35 AM Post #14 of 29
Sorry about being so tough on the film, but I liked "Trainspotting" so much that I guess I had unrealistically high expectations for "28 Days". Maybe if I hadn't known who the director was I would have had a much different reaction.

Jun 12, 2003 at 7:45 AM Post #15 of 29
I don't care that you're tough on it. That's your opinion.

But, you did just admit to watching a bootleg copy, no? So I'll flog you for that.
tongue.gif

**flogs BoyElroy**

Not that it means anything, but I pay money to import. I get things early and still support the artists and studios.
biggrin.gif
In addition, I'll still go see the film in the theater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back