256 MP3 vs. 256 AAC (or Which DL Service- iTunes or Amazon)
Jan 27, 2009 at 11:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Pangaea

Headphoneus Supremus
Now that iTunes is DRM Free and selling almost 100% of their catalog at 256 AAC whats the best format for portable players. Keep in mind that I am an iPod listener so both formats will work for me.

And yes, I understand the best source is lossless or CD but in a pinch whats the best SQ from a DL? AAC or MP3. I know for awhile AAC was considered a bit better at the same bitrate but I wanted to hear if their were other opinions. Also I know Amazon encodes their stuff with LAME and it usually sounds pretty good.

Please keep the answers based on SQ, not interested in hearing any more opinions about how iTunes is the Devil. Thanks for any replies...

Jan 27, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #2 of 19
Here you'll find some relevant listening tests:
Codec listening test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Both codecs should be quite transparent at 256 kbps, unless you have anomalous hearing. Based on results form lower bitrates, I'd say AAC could have a slight theoretical edge. In reality, I don't think that AAC or MP3 is better. Both formats could have (different kinds of) artifacts if you find/construct some weird, pathological kind of "music". With most music and non-golden ears, you shouldn't be able to tell the formats apart by listening, i.e. they are equally good.

Jan 27, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #4 of 19
The short answer is that at 256 kbps AAC = MP3 = source for the vast majority of listeners. Given this I think that MP3 carries a bit of an advantage in that it enjoys virtually universal support... if your library is in MP3 then just about any player/platform will play it, period. AAC is slowly catching up but not there yet.

Jan 28, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Waveblade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although AAC might have a smaller file size

no, 256kbps will create the same file size no matter the format. 256 kilobits per second - so no matter the format, if its 256 kbps it will take up 256 kilobits for each second of audio.

differences will come in when you start looking at variable bitrates.

Jan 28, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by leveller1642 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not encode a few tracks in both AAC and MP3 and judge yourself?

Tried it, couldn't tell any difference myself.

Jan 28, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #10 of 19
Listen to cymbals especially to find a difference. If I don't hear a difference in cymbals then I really don't care.

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #11 of 19
I pick AAC over MP3 any day, when the bitrate is identical.
To my ears AAC are more transparent than MP3, even if none are 100% transparent.

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a side note cause I don't wanna start a new thread, is the new Springsteen album mastered properly or did they nuke it like Magic.

Have to say, I need to listen more, because I also am feeling the production is less than stellar on this one too. I just don't get it. Is just doesn't sound clean, or something. As for AAC vs. MP3, I think they are about the same, but the MP3 usability trumps AAC.

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #14 of 19
I picked it up today. I will say this its not as hot or loud as magic. I need to listen to it more to comment on your statements of it being murky. Honestly, I can handle a low fi rock mix over the ear piercing that has been going on lately.

Jan 28, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a side note cause I don't wanna start a new thread, is the new Springsteen album mastered properly or did they nuke it like Magic.

It's a little hot, most noticeable in the louder sections, but nowhere near as hot as Magic. I can hear the compression esp in the louder sections of Queen of the Supermarket, but overall not as bad as Magic and not as bad as most CD's these days.

Hope this helps,
Trea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back