256 kbps - Am I missing out on anything?
Mar 8, 2008 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

JamesL

1000+ Head-Fier
256 mp3's vs 320 kbps mp3s vs lossless.

I download my music from Amazon's service, which are all ripped at 256 kbps.
Considering I playback on Swans M10's and Denon d1000's, is it a significant enough a difference to consider purchasing the CD's and rip them myself?

I will be upgrading my headphone setup probably to something like a dt880 + little dot II+ combo in the future, but I don't have what you'd call 'experienced' ears.

Mar 8, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #2 of 17
Best bet is to rip a tune from your favourite CD in lossless and 256. play them one after another and see if you can tell the difference. If you can't the keep buying from amazon.

Personally I always buy the CD. You can rip to what level you want and you always have it for upgrading later.

Mar 8, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #3 of 17
x2

Mar 8, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #4 of 17
It depends on the music. A lot of the "remastered" CDs I have of classic rock sounds substantially cleaner and crisper on FLAC than it does on any MP3 setting, and I know someone was talking about this yesterday and said that he can hear certain background noises missing in Pink Floyd in MP3 (vs FLAC).

Mar 8, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #6 of 17
1st: Get CDs, not download.
2nd: Try both lossless and lossy formats. (From same source)
3rd: Save up for a bigger hard-drive and more CDs.

Mar 8, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #8 of 17
Sorry - let me clarify a little more on the 'situation' at hand.
I know this is head-fi, but theres a concept called a "budget" I also have to keep in mind.

I have $100 headphones, and want to spend about $200 more on songs for the time being... = 200 selected songs at 256kbps, or about 10-15 cd albums, of which I only really like half of the songs.

If you were in this position, would you still choose the 256kbps mp3's over the CD's?

I'm currently in the state of "converting" -
My library is currently split, between about 50 songs I ripped from CD's at 192kbps I had back at home years ago, about 30 more from amazon, streaming from youtube, streaming the 'previews' from amazon, and a whole lot of the... 192kbps 'torrented' stuff, listening through $10 sony headphones and $30 logitech speakers.
Now, I'm not saying the CD's are a bad idea - they'll most likely last me a lifetime if I store them well, and are a good investment.. but will take this "converting" process a whole lot longer.

Mar 8, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #11 of 17
256kbps is transparent to me, but I keep them in WAV or FLAC. But mostly downloaded ones are poorly ripped, but I don't know about Amazon one. Even the 320kbps one sounds rather poor if its not properly rip, hissing, gaps, clicks etc. ruining the music

I buy all the CD I need first before upgrading my other stuff, if I like more than 4 tracks on the CD I'll buy it

Mar 8, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #12 of 17
Unless the files were poorly encoded, you will probably not be able to tell a SQ difference between them and the CD. 256kbps with a decent encoder is practically equivalent to lossless, as far as SQ.

But having a lossless collection is much better because you can later transcode to whatever you want. IMO, it's folly to actually PAY for lossless music

Mar 8, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless the files were poorly encoded, you will probably not be able to tell a SQ difference between them and the CD. 256kbps with a decent encoder is practically equivalent to lossless, as far as SQ.

But having a lossless collection is much better because you can later transcode to whatever you want.

If you perceive that 256 = lossless, it must be bliss.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry - let me clarify a little more on the 'situation' at hand.
I know this is head-fi, but theres a concept called a "budget" I also have to keep in mind.

Buy used on Amazon. I very rarely spend more than $3-$6 for a CD plus $2.99 shipping ends up being very in-expensive.

But I don't follow popular music which tends to only offer 1 or 2 desireable songs on a CD. I like buying the CD to get the overall tone of the artist and the phase he is in his career.

Mar 8, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #14 of 17
I would argue that the encoder has more to do with quality than the bit rate. A good LAME V2 or V0 encoded MP3 should be transparent to just about everyone on most material on even the best equipment.

I would suggest you buy a CD of one of your favorite albums and do some comparing to an Amazon download vs. a lossless rip vs. a LAME V0 rip.

For myself all my music is encoded in LAME V0 (encoded myself) or V2 (from torrents).

Mar 8, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #15 of 17
when buying from amazon, usually you can get a cd for even cheaper than the cost of the mp3 download. If it's used or fairly new or even sometimes brand new you can get them for around $5 dollars if it's a year or so old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back