256 kbps AAC or MP3?
May 16, 2004 at 3:15 AM Post #16 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Distroyed
Of course, your ipod won't support any of the quality formats available.

Huh? I can't believe that 224-356 aac (I prefer 224 and can't see much improvement vs file size with higher bitrates) from a good ripped cd (EAC, for example) would not be categorized as "a quality format" by most well-meaning audiphiles. I mean, it sounds awfully good for a compressed format, saves a tremendous amount of space and is documented all over the Web as having very good quality. I am a picky audiophile, have a lot invested in high-quality vinyl, SACD, DVD-A and decent redbook cd w/ dac playback, and am confident I can hear fairly subtle differences in cabling, power cords, and of course, source equipment. Life is too short to be splitting such ridiculously fine hairs as to say the iPod doesn't support good audio. 224 AAC with decent headphones (Ety 4rs's, etc) and a good portable amp (like Xin's supermicro) is an awfully fulfilling portable experience.

May 16, 2004 at 3:44 AM Post #17 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Distroyed
Of course, your ipod won't support any of the quality formats available.

High bitrate AAC is high quality but there's also the Apple Lossless Encoder option, which is what I would use if I went the lossless route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back