256 AAC vs 320kbps MP3 for Android
Apr 18, 2014 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

skaizen

New Head-Fier
My library is currently filled wiht all 320kbps mp3s, but i find its taking a bit too much space on my nexus 5 (android) 16gb, with music player "google play music," so im wondering if converting it all to 256 AAC would lower the quality. I listen to things with a sennheiser hd 598. It would save about 1gb if converted, so that really helps. Also, i wonder if listening to 256AACs on my mac (itunes) would have a lesser quality on my 598s.

Thanks

Aug 1, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #2 of 3
^^ after a year nobody replied to the above post. LOL .. hope you got the answer you were looking for.. anyway, for those non-members who are looking for enlightenment and stumbled here on this forum for some reason, let me share my opinion.. if you have a CD collection and wanted to rip and transfer music to your music device or dap, i suggest going lossless, be it FLAC, WAV, ALAC, etc using a good ripping software like dbpoweramp which is also available for mac users and windows of course but for a price and EAC (exact audio copy) for windows users which is free..now the problem lies with your personal preference and DAP of choice.. if you got Apple players like iPhones/iPads/iPods/Mac then you might want to rip your CDs to ALAC which is convenient as most modern day audiophile or hi-res portable players now also supports ALAC and of course other various formats and FLAC.. now since the reason you ended up here is not because you want to know which lossless format you want to rip but which lossy compression is ideal then personally i prefer 256 AAC VBR over mp3 as it is actually quite good to my ears. i still prefer lossless but if space is an issue then AAC is a good compromise between sound quality and file size and i save my lossless rips to my hard drive for archival purposes.. in the end it's your choice and enjoy your tunes!! that's the most important thing.. :grin:

ps: whatever you do please do not convert between lossy files.. always convert from lossless to any lossy format to avoid further loss of detail on your music file.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back