$250 passive speakers that sound like Audioengine A5?
Feb 19, 2013 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

shrimants

1000+ Head-Fier
I am currently price tracking the Polk TSi 200 but not sure if I should go with that speaker.

I have an 11" deep shelf to work with as far as placement goes, and the TSi200 is a bit too large for that.

For the first year or two of use, they will be my main left/right in a 5.1 setup. After that, I will swap my rears (pioneer FS52) with the fronts ( tsi200). This will be the "finalized" setup until I buy a proper set of floorstanding towers, 4k max, quite a few years after that.

I'm looking for bookshelf speakers that sound similar to the audioengine A5, and have a maximum budget of $250 for them. I am looking at the TSi200 and if I can get really really convinced, i might go for the HSU HB-1 instead, but that is more than I care to spend on passive bookshelf speakers atm. Also looking at wharfedale diamond 10.1 or 10.2 but again, over budget and I really dont want to spend that much on an intermediate 5.1 setup that I'll be upgrading, especially because of my headphones filling the high quality niche and my room being terrible for acoustics anyways.

I do have HD650 so I end up using the speakers primarily for 2.0 music while walking around the house, 5.1 movies, and 5.1 gaming. Most of my critical music listening is done through HD650. I have a dayton titanic MKIII 10" subwoofer, so the speakers dont really need to reach TOO low. My room is 10.5x10.5x14h so the sound from speakers is pretty effed up anyways in terms of room modes.

I'm not expecting miracles, but I'd like something that sounds rather nice from about 3-5 feet away from my head that can later be used as rear channels once I have some actual floor space to work with.

Would you guys recommend TSi200 or something else?

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 3
OK, I found the TSi200 for about 200 bucks+shipping so I jumped on it. I also saw KRK rokit passive 6 for 150 but those are exceptionally ugly, so I wasnt too put off by it.

Can someone at least tell me what the TSi are like in comparison to the Audioengine A5? What can I expect?

Feb 21, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #3 of 3
Your left/right/center speakers should timbre match. The way to do that is (a) use three of the exact same speaker (optimal) or (b) get the matching center channel from the same manufacturer in the same speaker line. Thus, the TSI200 is not a good choice for pairing with the Pioneer C22 in multi channel usage, although it probably couldn't be any worse than the Pioneer HPM-60s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back