250$ mini chains, what's good or wrong?
Jun 17, 2002 at 9:33 AM Post #16 of 27
Is the sound "DECENT"?????

Depends on your definition of decent and your expectations.

To me, even $500 USD mini-systems, mass market type, sound like s**t. The engineering money on most of them went into "Style", which is generally so ugly I wouldn't want anyone to see it in my house.

There are a very few systems at that ($500) price point that sound decent.

Jun 17, 2002 at 1:27 PM Post #17 of 27
gaineso has it. It all depends on what you think "good" sounds like.

Personally, I can't walk into a best buy(your futureshop) and listen to the minisystems. It's just too painful.

Jun 17, 2002 at 1:40 PM Post #18 of 27
There are some decent sounding mini-systems but not for $250. ****, my headphones cost more than that!

Of course, a $250 might have some decent modding potential but even still one would likly have to spend a LOT of money to get it to sound good.

Remember, "loud banging" and "good sounding" are often two totally different things, especially in this price range.

Jun 17, 2002 at 1:41 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Kryogen

I just want to know why and how, hot public models aimed at teens or whatever mini systems can be at only 250$ and offer sometimes a 3 cd track, 2 speakers, an amp?, an equalizer, a cool look, a headphone jack, and still have decent sound?

It's cheap because the innards are all ultra-economical; no hefty power supplies, K-grade DACs, premium caps etc. So they can stuff in more "features" without charging too much; I don't see why you're so impressed with an equalizer, headphone jack or 3 cd changer anyway..

- Wasif.

Jun 17, 2002 at 5:04 PM Post #21 of 27
Oh God, not a ... Quebecer?

Kryogen, you're forgetting that you're asking this question on Head-Fi. You may have noticed that most people don't spend a grand a year on headphones. Similarly, most people are quite satisfied with decent-sounding, low cost audio. That's who minisystems are for ... well, and those of us with no money.

kerelybonto

Jun 17, 2002 at 6:56 PM Post #22 of 27
Yes, sure, I am
wink.gif

And what's "a grand a year on headphones"?

Anyways, I got no minisystem near me to listen to, and I don't own one, so I can't tell. I've got good grados and they sound awesome. I was just wondering what the sound on these minisystems was like, never really listened to them.

Anyways, have a good day
wink.gif

Jun 17, 2002 at 7:22 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

And what's "a grand a year on headphones"?

This whole thread has been one cultural misunderstanding after another. No wonder the french used to be involved in like every war! :wink: (now it's the U.S.'s turn).

A "grand a year" would refer to spending $1000USD (or CDN I suppose, but that's not a whole lot of cash up there :wink:) per year.

OK, enough of my insulting of the french and the Canadian's currency (or lack thereof).

Jun 17, 2002 at 9:48 PM Post #25 of 27
Just to further clarify, "a grand", means "a thousand", and usually refers to money; $1000.

Quote:

Yeah, I mean, it's not my screw*** fault if our money ain't worth alot. Already painful
wink.gif

Haha, I feel your pain. But at least Canadians often can buy cars for a lot cheaper. Plus, we got health care. Yeah, that's right, it's free. And CD's are cheaper in Canada than anywhere else on the planet, if I'm not mistaken. (about 2/3 or 1/2 of the prices in USA)

I believe
it's time for me to leave
before I get my Canadian ass kicked.

Jun 18, 2002 at 9:04 PM Post #27 of 27
NO WAY it's free.

Sorry about that man, but my dad pays 53% of his raw salary to the governement, and my mom something like 40%. Then there are taxes.

I don't call that free.
Getting an insurance for 6000$ a year and paying something like 25-30% of the salary, and cutting all the ******* social money giving to lazy whining asses would make it way better.

It's simple, in quebec, if you don't have money, you get some, you get health, you get pills, you get food, you get an apartment, you can live. That's why so many people never work and then complain that they don't get enough to live properly.

If you make money, you are sucked up like a popsicle for 53% of your money.

That's the way it works in quebec. It sucks. Period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back