250$ mini chains, what's good or wrong?
Jun 15, 2002 at 12:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Kryogen

100+ Head-Fier
Okay, I bought Grado SR-125 headphones for 250$ CAN.

I went to future shop and I say a cool looking loud banging minichain for 250$.

Now, this could: Play music not bad, loud, read 3 mp3 cds, and ****z.

What's wrong with this? I mean, why does a pair of headphones cost as much as this?

And huh, bah, just tell me ;P

Jun 15, 2002 at 3:11 AM Post #2 of 27
"I say a cool looking loud banging minichain"

you lost me there.
confused.gif

Jun 15, 2002 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 27
What is a "loud banging minichain"? Is that a new word for refeer?

No, I can't spell.

Jun 15, 2002 at 10:11 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Nezer
What is a "loud banging minichain"? Is that a new word for refer?

What he said!!!!

Jun 16, 2002 at 4:04 AM Post #9 of 27
There are $250 shelf systems that are OK. You are comparing though the price of an OK shelf system with the price of VERY good headphones. A "cheap" BMW motorcycle (or Harley) can still cost more than many cars.

Jun 16, 2002 at 4:23 AM Post #10 of 27
Here's maybe a LITTLE insight I can provide.
Quote:

Okay, I bought Grado SR-125 headphones for 250$ CAN.

That much we should all understand.
Quote:

I went to future shop ...

I checked the web, and it seems that Future Shop is a Canadian electronics store, similar to a Best Buy or Circut City in the US.

Quote:

and I say a cool looking loud banging minichain for 250$.

Kryogen meant to say "and I saw a cool...". Banging is a term that I've heard used to describe either a) something that can get loud, with a punchy sound (usually, it just has the ablity to play loud bass OR b) something that is good, hot ie "That hot babe walking down the street is banging!"

Reefer is a slang term for marijuana.

I must say, I have no idea at all what the hell a minichain is, which is the source of all this confusion. I would guess that it is a mini sound system, but I've never heard of this. Someone, please. WHAT IS A MINICHAIN?!?!?!

Jun 16, 2002 at 7:53 AM Post #11 of 27
looked it up: a minichain can be something like a small chain of stores, like Radio Shack or whatever, but not as many. like 5 restaurants with the same owner: minichain.

Jun 16, 2002 at 8:24 AM Post #12 of 27
I understand that meaning of minichain, but that doesn't make any sense considering the context.
Quote:

I went to future shop and I say (correction:saw) a cool looking loud banging minichain for 250$.

Kryogen went into a store named future shop and looked at an item called a minichain, which could: Quote:

Play music not bad, loud, read 3 mp3 cds, and ****z.

Come on folks, help a brotha out! Kryogen, what on God's green earth are you talking about?!?!?!?!

Jun 17, 2002 at 3:10 AM Post #13 of 27
[I am always talking about CAN$]
LOL, guys, sorry...
wink.gif

I'm french, and in french, it's called "une mini chaîne stéréo".

That's huh, you know, a thing with a cd player, casette player, 2 speakers, equalizer and ****!

http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_el...audio/mini.asp

That's just an example.

But I mean, if there are good loud banging (bang, you know, like a gun, loud banging, just an expression guys... loud sounding whatever) mini stereo systems with mp3 decode, 2 speakers, an amp, a cd player, 2 casettes, for 250$.

At the same time, a good mp3 discman can cost like 300$.

And my headphones cost 250$.

I mean, is there something wrong with the sound of the mini system that is only 250$ or what? It's got alot of stuff for that price, huh, well you see what I mean.

Jun 17, 2002 at 3:42 AM Post #14 of 27
O! oui! Je sais! Tu peux regarder a la Yamaha et NAD L40. Mais, ils sont tres chere. Je ne sais pas un system quand jouer les MP3s.

Hopefully, that makes at least a little sense.
wink.gif
Funny high school french.

I MAY have seen a minisystem that plays mp3s. Unfortunatly, I don't remember where I saw it. It was a mass market model, so the quality would be VERY bad. You would be disappointed. Look at the NAD L40 and PSB speakers if you want a GREAT minisystem. Denon also makes good systems.

Jun 17, 2002 at 6:36 AM Post #15 of 27
Thanks, but it's not the point....

I mean, ok.

I don't want a mini system.
The mp3 thing is not the point.
I just want to know why and how, hot public models aimed at teens or whatever mini systems can be at only 250$ and offer sometimes a 3 cd track, 2 speakers, an amp?, an equalizer, a cool look, a headphone jack, and still have decent sound?

Is the sound decent? That IS MY QUESTION. What kind of sound does that offer? I mean, is it good, bad, whut? It surprises me that for 250$ you can get that much stuff when a decently good good reciever alone is like 1000$ CAN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back