250 dollirsh headphone help!!!
Mar 9, 2012 at 9:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

siddharth

Head-Fier
hello everyone
need a full sized headphone under 250$ for music n movie with good bass (good not overpowering). i listen to all kinds of music mostly country, rock, hip hop.if the cable is detachable, that would be great.sound signature close to my IE80 would be perfect.

considering d2000, hd598 and ath A900.there t not the only choice, i'm open to all kinds of headphones.

Mar 9, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #3 of 18

Quote:
hello everyone
need a full sized headphone under 250$ for music n movie with good bass (good not overpowering). i listen to all kinds of music mostly country, rock, hip hop.if the cable is detachable, that would be great.sound signature close to my IE80 would be perfect.

considering d2000, hd598 and ath A900.there t not the only choice, i'm open to all kinds of headphones.

The most important question here is: What will you be using to drive it?  What music format (lossy, lossless, disc, etc), what source/DAC.  HD598 is very nice, but not bass-heavy.  AKG K/Q 70x can be head for (almost) that price point, but they take high current to drive to their potential, so if you're plugging it into something without power (even a receiver will do in a pinch) you may be better off with something easier to drive, etc.  AKGs are relatively bright though.  I suspect you're looking for a darker can.  Hip-hop is always the odd-man-out genre since it's pretty much the only one along with electronic/dance that prefers bass-heavy cans.  My "ideal" can for rock and for dance/electronic/hip-hop would be polar opposites. Country/bluegrass on the other hand does very well with bright and neutral headphones.  Everything of course will do well on "jack of all trades" phones like HD598. (To me the AKG's are jacks of all trades, but none of my trades includes bass heavy hip-hop....
tongue_smile.gif
)

I'm not sure how bass-heavy IE80 is.  I've heard it's less mid-bass but more sub-bass than IE8.  And IE8 is definitely a bass-head IEM (as much as an IEM can be, anyway.)

Mar 9, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #4 of 18
One of my first impressions of the denons was that they are very musical headphones, not very good for hearing voices in movies. That impression still stands. The instrumentals and bass are more attention grabbing with denons so probably not the best choice if you're main focus is vocals.

Mar 10, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #6 of 18
Have you considered the Beyer DT990? They have good bass for the rap genre. Not sure if the 250ohm version may be powered by the fiio e11. The 32ohm version, which I have, can be powered from my iBasso D4 though, for what its worth. It is possible to find them at your price range as I bought mine from Amazon at $245.

Mar 10, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #8 of 18
i have not got the fiio e11 (as u can see from my spell of it :p), i was planning to get it with d2k, but now i have narrowed it down to d2k or hd558 or hd 598.i'll live with a bit less of bass but not quality

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #9 of 18

Quote:
I have not got the Fiio E11 (as u can see from my spell of it :p), i was planning to get it with d2k, but now i have narrowed it down to d2k or hd558 or HD598.I'll live with a bit less of bass but not quality

The Sennheiser HD558s have a nice all around sound.

Mar 12, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestion, ordered the 558's today 
o2smile.gif

I removed the black rubber tape from inside the cups of my HD558s, some say it makes the HD558s sound closer to the HD598s.
If you do remove the black rubber tape, keep them handy, so you can put them back in for any warranty situations.

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #14 of 18

Quote:
Yeah, read a lot about those, what Amp/DAC are you using with your HD558's?

Asus Xonar Essence STX (3 LME49860NA op-amps).
Yamaha RX-V671 receiver
Asus Xonar DG.
Fiio E11 (while plugged into the Xonar DG).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back