250$ Budget
Apr 4, 2010 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Vinc

Head-Fier
Hello Head fi'ers,
I've recently been seeking for a pair of headphones.
Currently, I have Shure E210 Earbuds and I'm looking for a good upgrade.
I wouldn't consider myself audiophile because I've not listened to enough music on hi-fi set up, but I want to introduce myself to this hobby.

There are some facts that you might want to know to refer me some heaphones.
-I have about 250$ in budget for my new pair of headphones.
-I don't have any ampli, and I will most likely listen to music straight from my ipod classic 5th gen.
-I won't really move my headphones a lot, so I don't necesserly want them "portable", and I don't mind open headphones.
-I will mostly listen to progressive rock (Pink floyd, King Crimson, Marillion, Jethro Tull, Genesis, etc.) and trance. Though, I'm being introduced to jazz and classical, so I will most likely listen a bit to these styles.

What headphones could suit me ?

Apr 4, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #2 of 17
I've tried about a dozen pairs of headphones under $250 and by far my favorites are the Shure SRH-840. They're a steal at around $140. I don't think there is a better headphone for under $250. You can check into the Denon D2000 if you like lots of bass, but I sent those back right away. Most people love them.

If you somehow find a deal on the UE Triple Fi 10s then get those. I'm guessing their still around $350, but i'm not sure, so probably take those off the list. I know this is the headphone forum, but i'm suggesting that since you're coming from the 210.

If you want to save yourself some money, the Creative Aurvana Live headphones would do the job. They're dirt cheap at $65 or so! They're basically a Denon D1001 i've heard.

Of course the Shure SRH-840 are way better in every way.

I also like the Audio Technica AD-700, but some people won't like the sound out of them due to lack of bass, so it's hard to recommend them.

All of these work well without an amp. The D2000 probably might not get very loud though, but it worked well enough for me.

Apr 4, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tdockweiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried about a dozen pairs of headphones under $250 and by far my favorites are the Shure SRH-840. They're a steal at around $140. I don't think there is a better headphone for under $250. You can check into the Denon D2000 if you like lots of bass, but I sent those back right away. Most people love them.

If you somehow find a deal on the UE Triple Fi 10s then get those. I'm guessing their still around $350, but i'm not sure, so probably take those off the list. I know this is the headphone forum, but i'm suggesting that since you're coming from the 210.

If you want to save yourself some money, the Creative Aurvana Live headphones would do the job. They're dirt cheap at $65 or so! They're basically a Denon D1001 i've heard.

Of course the Shure SRH-840 are way better in every way.

I also like the Audio Technica AD-700, but some people won't like the sound out of them due to lack of bass, so it's hard to recommend them.

All of these work well without an amp. The D2000 probably might not get very loud though, but it worked well enough for me.

Thanks for this advice.
I've read a bit on these forums and I've been leaning toward the Grado series.

Anyone knows how they would fair with my musical tastes ?
Also, with grado, if I listen to music will everyone near me hear my music ?

Apr 5, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #4 of 17
For rock, the Grados headphones are supposed to be the best. Unfortunately though, they are not closed and almost everyone could hear them within 20 feet probably.

I myself don't recommend Grado's due to extremely poor design and fit (for my head). Of course, you're mostly paying for such good sound quality i'd imagine. The Grado's no longer seem like such a great deal with the Shure and Creative Aurvana Live being so cheap and offering better comfort.

Apr 5, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #5 of 17
Grado's good for rock, not so good for trance. IMO, they lack the dynamics and bass needed for trance music.

If you want a great "all-genre" headphone, I'd get the Shure SRH840.

Apr 5, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado's good for rock, not so good for trance. IMO, they lack the dynamics and bass needed for trance music.

If you want a great "all-genre" headphone, I'd get the Shure SRH840.

Do you know the difference in sound quality, soundstage and bass between shure and grado ?
I have SE210 now, and there is a severe lack of bass.

Apr 5, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #10 of 17
i strongly disagree with the grado recommendations, while they are very nice, closed backs is where rock should remain.

i also recommend the shure 840. Shure did an insanely great job on the sound production.
its just wiser to stay away from open backs for rock, i mean the sennheisers can do it well but ive come to realize over many years f hi fi listening that closed backs produce the more favorable rock and metal signature. Open backs are great at classical and soundstaging, i highly advise you to stray from open backs for rock. I own the 225i and its only good for rock, but it doesnt do rock nearly as well as the 840

Apr 5, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #12 of 17
The best models you should look at are:
The ranks given go from best to worst- Excellent, Great, Good.

Shure SRH840- Good sound, Good comfort, Good Balance, Great fun
Beyerdynamic DT250- Great sound, Great comfort, Great Balance, Good fun
Beyerdynamic DT990 (32ohm or 250ohm)- Excellent sound, Great comfort, Good balance, Excellent fun
Denon D2000- Great sound, Excellent comfort, Good Balance, Excellent fun

The "fun" rank is how involving the phone sounds. "balance" is how evenly treble mid and bass are spread (so Great balance means no frequencies overpower the other). The "sound" rank is referencing to how well the frequencies are portrayed, eg if the bass has a good thump and feel and if the treble sounds natural ect.

Ranked from best to worst (but they are all great phones)-
1. Beyerdynamic DT990
2. Denon D2000
3. Beyerdynamic DT250
4. Shure SRH840

For portable use the Beyerdynamic DT250 is the best choice, it is just such a great all rounder and is lighter than the other phones plus has good isolation.

I don't recommend Ultrasone as they are uncomfortable but they do sound good. Grado are good for rock, but your other musical tastes will be better suited by the above phones. Also the above phones are comfortable whereas Grados are not.

Apr 5, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i strongly disagree with the grado recommendations, while they are very nice, closed backs is where rock should remain.

i also recommend the shure 840. Shure did an insanely great job on the sound production.
its just wiser to stay away from open backs for rock, i mean the sennheisers can do it well but ive come to realize over many years f hi fi listening that closed backs produce the more favorable rock and metal signature. Open backs are great at classical and soundstaging, i highly advise you to stray from open backs for rock. I own the 225i and its only good for rock, but it doesnt do rock nearly as well as the 840

Typically one only chooses closed because one needs to (for isolation). Open is almost always a better sound. And Grados are amongst the best for rock.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you on the SRH840s. I did own them a while back and thought they were very nice (especially at the price), but didn't best the Grados (especially for rock).

The best closed rock cans I've ever heard are the Denon D7000s, but are substantially more expensive.

But we all prefer different things...I would strongly recommend to the OP to try out as many of the various recommended cans here first, then let your ears guide your wallet.
icon10.gif
But if you are not looking at picking up a dedicated amp, I would strongly recommend Grados!

Apr 5, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Typically one only chooses closed because one needs to (for isolation). Open is almost always a better sound. And Grados are amongst the best for rock.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you on the SRH840s. I did own them a while back and thought they were very nice (especially at the price), but didn't best the Grados (especially for rock).

The best closed rock cans I've ever heard are the Denon D7000s, but are substantially more expensive.

But we all prefer different things...I would strongly recommend to the OP to try out as many of the various recommended cans here first, then let your ears guide your wallet.
icon10.gif
But if you are not looking at picking up a dedicated amp, I would strongly recommend Grados!

For the moment, I don't have money for an amp, so I won't buy an amp any time soon. I would like to try the headphones out but I've not hear of any place in Montreal where I could test them out.
If anyone knows any, I will gladly go test these headphones out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back