$250 budget, headphones only
Mar 5, 2008 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Marcel_D

New Head-Fier
I'll spend up anything up to and a bit over $250 if its necessary. My primary sources will be the Audigy 2 ZS from my PC and my PS3 for some gaming. I want a pair mostly for casual music listening and all kinds of movies as well. I'm not a big bass fan and would rather have crystal clear vocals and highs over tons of bass, but a total lack of bass turns me off. It should be there when its needed. Also I'm only considering open, full-sized headphones which should be relatively comfortable.

The attachment is a picture the amp I'll use, which is a Nikko Alpha 230 from the 70's. I'm assuming it should work fine with any headphone.

Mar 5, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 8
A 701 might be in order as well. I have both the 701 and the 225 so I kind of have an idea about what your looking for. Now don't get me wrong I LOOOOVE my 225's, but I think the 701 is a more well rounded can exspecially for referance listening. The 225's are a "fun" can in that they are colored to be enjoyable with rock. Anyways the 701 does have the bottom you are looking for.

Mar 5, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by crewchief /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A 701 might be in order as well. I have both the 701 and the 225 so I kind of have an idea about what your looking for. Now don't get me wrong I LOOOOVE my 225's, but I think the 701 is a more well rounded can exspecially for referance listening. The 225's are a "fun" can in that they are colored to be enjoyable with rock. Anyways the 701 does have the bottom you are looking for.

I disagree with the last sentence. IMO the 701 does not deliver the bass that I think you will be looking for. When I used to listen to the 701, I was always very dissappointed whenever I knew a bass drum was supposed to be there hard and fast. However, it is very accurate. What kind of music do you listen to? 225's definitely for rock, and classical/jazz for 701's.

Mar 6, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #5 of 8
It really depends on the type of music you listen... Like Souperman, 225 for Rock and 701 for Classical.

225 or Grado, in general, is not comfortable to wear for long duration. The longest I can put my 325 on is 2.5 hour.

You might also consider an used HD650. It goes about $250 + shipping on these For Sale forum here. The HD650 does have over-powering bass compared to 701 and 225.

Mar 6, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #6 of 8
Well I'd say I listen to more classical/instrumental and jazz than rock but also quite a bit of pop and techno in there as well. I don't have a favorite genre or artist so my music is really spread out and hard to identify.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back