$250-300 budget for best headphone set up, EDM DNB GAMING
Oct 29, 2012 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

rbai76

New Head-Fier

It will be getting plugged into either my ipod, or back of monitor for gaming, music, movies.

I mainly listen to drum and bass, dubstep, electronic, some rock but I would like to have clean and loud bass.

What would the best set up be, I don't know if I would need an AMP and headphones, or just headphones for the best setup for the $250-300 range, I could buy used equipment also.

Any recommendations?

Oct 29, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #2 of 6
The Denon AH-D2000 and AKG K550 come to mind as being particularly good with the genres you listed.  They are sealed so they will not leak sound and isolate better than an open back headphone so you can hear those pesky footsteps behind you.  BAM!  Those should be fine without an amp and of course later if you want to get everything you an out of the headphone you can upgrade to an amp later.

Oct 29, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

It will be getting plugged into either my ipod, or back of monitor for gaming, music, movies.

I mainly listen to drum and bass, dubstep, electronic, some rock but I would like to have clean and loud bass.

What would the best set up be, I don't know if I would need an AMP and headphones, or just headphones for the best setup for the $250-300 range, I could buy used equipment also.

Any recommendations?

Heya,

Beyer DT990 PRO with a Fiio E7 USB DAC/AMP (portable and desktop use).

Very best,

Oct 30, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #4 of 6
Ultrasone Pro750 + E7. 

Oct 30, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #5 of 6
You could go with some HD650's used at right around $300. I use mine without an amp all the time and are still very good without it. With it they are awesome, who knows maybe further down the road you might want to upgrade then you could just get a good amp/dac combo.

Oct 30, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #6 of 6
The Denon AH-D2000 and AKG K550 come to mind as being particularly good with the genres you listed.  They are sealed so they will not leak sound and isolate better than an open back headphone so you can hear those pesky footsteps behind you.  BAM!  Those should be fine without an amp and of course later if you want to get everything you an out of the headphone you can upgrade to an amp later.

If I was looking for used headphones around $300 would the hd650s be a good choice, or is there something else better used?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back