25 years of Metallica appreciation thread. - Their best studio album?
Oct 22, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Justice is full of 5 min songs dragged into 8 mins. The songs are long, dull and uninspired. And by then how weak a guitarist Kirk is should have been obvious, his whammy bar abuse got really old. Plus Lars's drumming went from bad to worse. And Jason's bass got nerfed. And Hetfield's vocals, while still not bad has lost a lot of the gusto he carried in the previous albums. What's so good about the album anyway? It has like one good song (One) and songs like Blackened are raved by Metallica fans for no good reason. I personally can't understand how some can rate it above MOP. MOP is somewhat overrated but is still a good album, easily far above Justice.

I totally disagree, I think Justice crushes MoP. I'm stunned that it has so few votes, it's SUCH a good album. Whenever I listen to Justice it makes me so terribly sad at how much Metallica sucks dog balls these days. Too bad Pantera isn't around to carry the torch anymore either..tragic

Nov 10, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #32 of 42
For me it'd go:
1. Master of Puppets
2. ...And Justice For All
3. Black
4. Ride the Lightning (For Whom The Bell Tolls is my favorite Metallica song, but I don't like the album quite so much as a whole)

Kill 'Em All is ok, but I don't generally like listening to it, and I don't find the albums after Black to be worth it on their own (I like songs from them, but I just can't put the album in and listen to the whole thing). This excludes Garage, Inc. and S&M.

From what I've heard of it so far, I actually like Death Magnetic less than St. Anger. I really wish they'd find a new singer, as Jame's voice just gets on my nerves now. Then again I'd love to see them do an entirely instrumental (Call of Cthulu, Orion, most of To Live Is To Die) album. Maybe do it as one big song with different parts so that it flows well. It'd be ok to let James say a little like in To Live Is To Die just to keep his ego happy, just keep his awful attempt at yelling out of it.

Nov 12, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #33 of 42
I voted for Master of Puppets. Tied for 2nd are ...And Justice for All and Ride the Lightning. I used to love Metallica (the Black Album), but now it's just mediocre to me. Really, any of their albums from the 80s are good music. Anything after that is garbage as far as I'm concerned.

Even Death Magnetic, at least being an attempt at thrash, is littered with the same crap that made Metallica's efforts in the 90s so feeble. Originally I was somewhat impressed by it, but after a little more listening I have become sick of it. For one thing, James's vocals, as mentioned earlier, are just plain obnoxious. Lars's drumming, while never that impressive anyway, is sloppy, lazy, and uninteresting. Even Kirk's soloing is a mess (listen to the solo on "The End of the Line" if you don't believe me...what the heck was that?).

I'm more convinced than ever that Metallica has forgotten how to play good music.

I should really stop posting about Metallica; I always end up ranting. It just bothers me so much that a band could be as good as Metallica was in the 80s and then lose their touch so badly. Their first 4 albums really are good.

..."if you can't say anything nice..."
frown.gif

Nov 12, 2008 at 10:12 AM Post #34 of 42
...And Justice For All is Metallica's best album for me, followed by Ride The Lightning as a close second. AJFA captures the band at their progressive and overindulgent peak, never mind the lack of bass in the mix. The dry production actually heightens the impact of the music as well has Hetfield's lyrics. BLACKENED IS THE END! WINTER IT WILL SEND!... great times back in high school where i'd be muttering the lyrics under my breath in class.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #35 of 42
Has to be "Ride the Lightning" for me. As others have pointed out, it is heavier and less-polished yet more musically varied and sophisticated than "Master of Puppets". "Kill 'em All" would be my second choice for its energy and subtle Punk vibe, and the fact that "Whiplash" (along with Slayer "Angel of Death") is THE prototypical Thrash song.

"Master of Puppets" does not contain nearly as many original ideas and in fact, almost directly copies many of the riffs/concepts from KEA and RTL. Just what IS the difference between "Sanitarium" and "Fade to Black" anyway!? (Whatever. BOTH of these songs are rip-offs of Judas Priest "Beyond the Realms of Death" anyway!) That being said, "Orion" is probably the single best track of Metallica's career and IMO is actually worth the price of the full album by itself ("Leper Messiah" is great too).

I am a Metallica fan BUT they really are not that original. Almost everything that people think makes those early 3 or 4 albums great (and they ARE great albums) had already been done several years earlier by Judas Priest and Motorhead.

Nov 13, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #36 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkswordsman17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then again I'd love to see them do an entirely instrumental (Call of Cthulu, Orion, most of To Live Is To Die) album.

I've often thought the exact same thing.

Nov 14, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #37 of 42
The first Metallica album I bought (one of the first CD's I bought), was ReLoad. Ugh. Though we got along OK enough at the time.

When I first heard "old" Metallica, I could hardly believe it was the same band. I immediately took to Master of Puppets.

However, years later, Ride the Lightning is the album I go back to the most on the occasions I feel like listening to Metallica. It could be argued that all of the bands' five best tracks are on that album. Anymore, MoP comes off to me like the band was just trying to repeat the success of RtL, as the latter simply sounds fresher and springier, despite being the older album.

What's odd for me, is that having gotten into Metallica relatively late in their career, I don't share in the polarized view of the S/T album that so many others do. I don't single-handedly blame it for their downfall, nor do I see it as their best effort. I think their creativity peaked with RTL, and the next couple albums were increasingly watered-down variations on the same basic theme. Bob Rock just stepped in and became the element of change, albeit towards the mainstream. I do like the S/T album more than any that have followed it, but less than all that preceded it.

Nov 14, 2008 at 8:05 AM Post #39 of 42
Another Justice fan here. In this album, Metallica matured and delved into prog-metal territory, something they are desperately trying to recreate with Death Magnetic...which they failed to do imho.

Justice contains their best song (One), and their best instrumental (To Live is to Die...sorry Orion, but the acoustic parts of TLITT are some of the most sublime notes ever recorded). The album is just so cohesive and there is no throwaway song.

Master of Puppets is my second, Ride the Lightning Third. Battery, MoP, Disposable Heroes, Orion and Sanitarium beat Fade to Black, Creeping Death, Call of Kthulu and For Whom the Bell Tolls in my book.

Black Album next. Call them sell outs or whatever by this album, bat Sad But True, Wherever I May Roam, Of Wolf and Man and Through the Never are KICKASS SONGS.

Nov 25, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by dethi72 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i just found the dcc 24k-gold "metallica - master of puppets" for about 45 EUR ( import usa ) and could not be happier !

that´s my vote!

Yes.. doesn't just make the album about 100 times better?

I wish I'd picked up the gold RIDE THE LIGHTNING..

oh well.

-Mason

Nov 26, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #42 of 42
I chose Master of Puppets for Leper Messiah and Orion. Those two tracks keep me in good grace with Metallica.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back