24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded!
Jul 19, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #6,751 of 7,175
The marketing was that FullHD was 6x the resolution of SD.
Fun fact:

NTSC DVD (720x480=345600) indeed has 1/6 of the Blu-ray FullHD resolution (1920x1080=2073600), but PAL DVD has 720x576=414720 resolution, which is 1/5 of FullHD. Here in Europe Blu-ray was marketed as having 5 times the resolution of DVD.

Jul 19, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #6,752 of 7,175
Excelsior? Do you seriously not know what excelsior means? Have you been drinking again? :) :wink: :wink:

Let Google’s Bard AI entertain us! Seriously (in a lighthearted way), I did not know what excelsior meant, at all, so I looked it up when you used it:

Excelsior is a Latin word meaning "higher" or "ever upward." It is the official motto of the state of New York, and it has been used by many other organizations and individuals as a symbol of aspiration and achievement.

The word "excelsior" first appeared in English in the 16th century, and it was used in a variety of contexts, including as a name for a type of wood shavings. However, it was not until the 19th century that the word became widely associated with the concept of striving for higher things.

In 1841, the American poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow published a poem entitled "Excelsior," which tells the story of a young man who sets out on a journey to climb Mount Everest. The poem is a meditation on the human desire for achievement, and it ends with the young man's death on the mountaintop.

The poem "Excelsior" was a great success, and it helped to popularize the word "excelsior" as a symbol of aspiration. The word has been used by many other organizations and individuals since then, including the state of New York, the Finnish Army's Special Jaegers, and the fictional Weldon Institute in Jules Verne's novel Robur the Conqueror.

Today, the word "excelsior" is still used as a symbol of striving for higher things. It is often used in motivational speeches and posters, and it is also a popular choice for tattoos and other forms of body art.

The word "excelsior" is a reminder that we should always strive to achieve our goals, no matter how difficult they may seem. It is a call to action, urging us to never give up on our dreams.

It's also a club in Aldershot :relaxed:

It is a call to action, urging us to never give up on our dreams.

Ad astra.

Jul 19, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #6,753 of 7,175
Excelsior (as it's known in North America) is known as "wood wool" in Europe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_wool
In Finnish language cotton is puuvilla, which translates literally to wood (puu) wool (villa) while wood wool is lastuvilla ("chip wool"). Calling wood wool puuvilla would be more logical as it is actually manufactured from wood, but it is what it is...

Imo, Excelsior is a ridiculously ostentatious term for something like wood wool. Excelsior is a good name for the flagship of the navy.

Jul 23, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #6,754 of 7,175
"Imperfect analogy": it's an incorrect analogy.
You don’t seem to understand what an analogy is, or an “incorrect analogy”. An analogy is the substitution of an example with which people are familiar to help understanding of the point under discussion which they are not familiar with (or misunderstand). Often, it is irrelevant whether that substituted example is precisely factually accurate, especially when it’s taken from another field. What is relevant is that it’s widely familiar and does in fact aid understanding. An “incorrect analogy” is one that is not actually analogous and/or doesn’t aid understanding.
For images, resolution is independent from bit depth. Up until 4K, all home video was 8bpc.
And again, I never even mentioned video in the OP and even if I had, this fact is irrelevant! Many did (and many still do) equate bit depth and resolution, it was/is widely familiar and it does aid understanding, which is why marketers applied this image terminology to audio marketing in the first place! My use of this analogy was to show that it’s an incorrect analogy because it is NOT analogous: Many/Most have seen an obvious difference between a standard-res/def image and a high-res/def one, but there’s no audible difference with audio. The fact that this image analogy also falsely confuses “bit depth” with “bit rate” or total number of bits/file size is irrelevant. I don’t see how all this isn’t obvious?

G

Jul 23, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #6,755 of 7,175
Somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed, and decided to have a diatribe over a post that didn’t include him. It was clearly a response to a video.

Jul 23, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #6,756 of 7,175
… decided to have a diatribe over a post that didn’t include him. It was clearly a response to a video.
I realise it was a response to a video but it was essentially an identical response to the one you tried to give me for several pages.

G

Jul 23, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #6,757 of 7,175
I realise it was a response to a video but it was essentially an identical response to the one you tried to give me for several pages.

G
Here and the EDM thread, you decided to have long diatribes both attacking me and accusing me/others of not staying on topic (when the original topic had been answered and discussion moved on). Learn to chill out.

Jul 23, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #6,758 of 7,175
At this point it’s obvious that any direct interaction with him will result in abuse. He’s clearly not able to control his behavior online. I tell myself that he’s fine in real life, he only has this problem when he’s behind a keyboard. At least I hope that’s the case. But his problem has been pointed out to him many times and he just doesn’t care. If you choose to interact with him directly, you’re going to experience abuse. I think some people enjoy being treated like that. Not me. I’m here to enjoy interacting with others in conversation, not entering in narcissistic battles over whose is longer. The pattern of behavior that’s become common in this forum is sick.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #6,759 of 7,175
More nonsense that is demonstrably false.

[1] You don’t cross a capital T. You just kind of put a little hat on the top. Unless it’s cursive. Otherwise you only cross a lowercase t. How can you not know this?

[2] Who are these mysterious others? Do you have any objective evidence of this? This appears to be wild speculation. There is absolutely no peer-reviewed evidence or documentation of an attempted crucification for not dotting an i or not crossing a (lowercase) t anywhere in the world, much less at the sound science section forum of head-fi. Nor has anyone ever even failed to dot an i or cross a t in the sound science section of head-fi. How can you not know this too? Do you seriously not know what a crucifixion is?

:wink: :wink: :wink:

Great Post!!!

That escalated quickly.

How I often picture this thread...

Mano A Mano Fighting GIF by Chris Cimino

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #6,762 of 7,175
It's automated based on the number of posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back