24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded!
Jul 12, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #6,616 of 7,175
All it would take is a modicum of respect for others.

I do agree that Internet forums do attract people with mental issues. There's more anti-social behavior online than in real life. I guess it's due to the fact that a virtual punch in the nose doesn't hurt as much as a real one.

Even Woody Allen types see red eventually - 'I snapped my chin down onto some guy's fist and hit another one in the knee with my nose'.

Jul 12, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #6,617 of 7,175
All it would take is a modicum of respect for others.

I do agree that Internet forums do attract people with mental issues. There's more anti-social behavior online than in real life. I guess it's due to the fact that a virtual punch in the nose doesn't hurt as much as a real one.
In the media there’s sometimes a reference to “the Pub test” where some government decisions are gauged by what the average person in the community would think redarding fairness and common sense…
A lot of forum threads here would probably descend into “A Pub brawl” … 🙄

Jul 12, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #6,618 of 7,175
The longer I'm on the internet, the less patient I am with personality disorders. I give up and dismiss instead of trying to coddle and work around their peccadilloes.

Jul 12, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #6,620 of 7,175
A good example doesn't cure mental problems.

Jul 13, 2023 at 4:57 AM Post #6,621 of 7,175
Donald Hoffman's theories and thoughts are very interesting and even appealing/intuitive, but I would still take them with a grain of salt.

Don’t forget to take the grain of salt also with a huge grain of salt. Who knows if the grain of salt itself is just another deceptive illusion.
What I mean by that is simply that people keep saying “take with grain of salt” as if there were things you can take without any skepticism or doubt..

Jul 13, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #6,622 of 7,175

Respectfully I doubt any of you are qualified to diagnose mental illness and even if you are this forum doesn't provide the right therapist-patient interaction to do so. Also, people are more than capable of being morons, or even just wrong or ignorant here without having a mental illness. And trashing people by saying they are mentally ill, is an insult to people with mental illness. And when 20% to 25% of people will experience a mental illness that's a lot of people. Plus many people have mental illness without psychosis or delusions.

Jul 13, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #6,623 of 7,175
Respectfully I doubt any of you are qualified to diagnose mental illness and even if you are this forum doesn't provide the right therapist-patient interaction to do so. Also, people are more than capable of being morons, or even just wrong or ignorant here without having a mental illness. And trashing people by saying they are mentally ill, is an insult to people with mental illness. And when 20% to 25% of people will experience a mental illness that's a lot of people. Plus many people have mental illness without psychosis or delusions.
in my book this just shows how short-minded the people are around here, because "they" cant hear a difference

Jul 13, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #6,624 of 7,175
@Sam Spade

I don’t know if you were also talking to me, but since you didn’t quote me I assume you weren't.

But still, I want to make clear that I don’t call anyone on this forum mentally ill. When I said I came to the sound science subforum to meet some sane people again I was using the wrong adjective. The word I was looking for was “vernünftig” (engl.: reasonable) and it was simply meant to be a compliment to some of the people here (who understand scientific methods) in contrast to folks in other sub-fora.
I edited my post accordingly.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #6,625 of 7,175
I'm not good at reading medical studies, but this one seems relevant. There isn't a lot of study on the subject yet, but it looks like a little less than half of people with internet addiction also have personality disorders. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5370375/ Also, studies have shown that autistic people prefer interacting over text online to face to face interaction with others, which is a good thing for isolated and lonely individuals because it gives them some experience in social interaction that they can use to improve their real-life relationships with others. But this leaves them open for cyber bullying, manipulation and compulsive use of social media. A lot of prominent hackers are autistic because it feeds their need for attention, adulation, self-satisfaction and recognition. (These are the same needs that trolls and internet "experts" are looking to fill.) Low self esteem seems to be the cause. https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/professional-practice/autism-internet This is a new area of research, so there isn't a lot of information on it.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #6,626 of 7,175

Probably more behavioural problems. I strongly believe people need to know there are boundaries to what will be tolerated and when there aren't any, or they are weak, they lose respect for themselves and others.

I think there is a correlation between those in authority not acting as they should and people not giving a hoot.

@Corti I'm sure most people knew what you meant.

I'm not good at reading medical studies, but this one seems relevant. There isn't a lot of study on the subject yet, but it looks like a little less than half of people with internet addiction also have personality disorders. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5370375/ Also, studies have shown that autistic people prefer interacting over text online to face to face interaction with others, which is a good thing for isolated and lonely individuals because it gives them some experience in social interaction that they can use to improve their real-life relationships with others. But this leaves them open for cyber bullying, manipulation and compulsive use of social media. A lot of prominent hackers are autistic because it feeds their need for attention, adulation, self-satisfaction and recognition. (These are the same needs that trolls and internet "experts" are looking to fill.) Low self esteem seems to be the cause. https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/professional-practice/autism-internet This is a new area of research, so there isn't a lot of information on it.

Sounds plausible, who knows the deeper impact many new things are having on people's psyche until years later when research is done out of necessity.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #6,627 of 7,175
the question imo is what do personality disorders have todo with hearing different/differences more then others? the only disorder i can think of is one of the few from the "psychosis" spectrum if we speak about things that people hear but others dont, unless it wasnt about this but in general not wanting to interact with people with personality disorders which is pretty pointless to the whole discussion and im sure there are just as many in the objectivist camp

and no, i dont think everyone who calls himself a audiophile and can hear differences between dacs/amps/opamps/cables etc is psychotic...

beside this, the grouping objectivist/subjectivist do is probably not the best either if we look at cults, mass suicides etc, imo this is specially the case with ASR or this science forum, if you never hear another opinion or are ignoring other opinions because it doesnt fit in your world view it gets pretty "cultish" imo

honestly? i try to be open to both side, but if i hear a difference in for example different resample algorithms and there is a measureable difference but objectivist claim "its all inaudible" then the case for me is pretty obvious, the claim of audibility is simply wrong.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #6,628 of 7,175
the question imo is what do personality disorders have todo with hearing different/differences more then others?

Nothing. It has to do with THINKING you hear differently than others and going to the mat to defend your delusion, even in the face of convincing evidence to the contrary.

Jul 13, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #6,629 of 7,175
Nothing. It has to do with THINKING you hear differently than others and going to the mat to defend your delusion, even in the face of convincing evidence to the contrary.
yea but most personality disorders have nothing todo with audible perception.. or this is just a guess and not a "fact" by you

Jul 13, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #6,630 of 7,175
They can have to do with someone saying something to them and their mind preventing them from understanding what is being said... or refusing to accept established facts because they don't want to believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back