24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded!
Sep 19, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #1,321 of 7,175
  even the last generation of full resolution "flagship" grade audio ladder DACs were advertised for at least 8x oversampling

so upsampling with digital filtering, correction were here already

but yes multi-bit delta sigma seem to have won the market

but there are a few hold outs claiming delta-sigma noise shaping loop dynamics, "noise floor modulation" is evidence of some mysterious musical soul destroying "time domain error" that engineers are overlooking

It's probably easier, hence cheaper than a precision controlled ladder DAC. Could be a simple case of economics overruling the performance benefits.

Adding any kind of noise (autocorrelated to source signal or not) is by definition a "time domain error".  Modulating the noise is an intruguing notion that probably ultimately depends ultimately on the ranges of SNR achieved. If it's "lowenough" then it's "good enough"

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #1,322 of 7,175
recently discussed at diyAudio - one of my replies:

I think I have all of ESS public app notes, white papers

all I can find is one graph suggesting the "bad competitor" DAC audio band noise floor rose ~ 10 dB from -117 dB to -106-7 dB as signal amplitude rose into the top -10 dB to 0 dB fs of the converter

using estimates of recording mic noise, home listening room noise floor, masking curves..

..I simply don't see where that (delta-sigma?) DAC's noise floor modulation is going to be audible with music played in the top 10 dB of the DAC, not with THX system sensitivity, or even 120 dB SPL peak system capability

Sep 20, 2013 at 5:42 AM Post #1,323 of 7,175
For testing such problems, difference extraction like shown here can be useful. If the residual, with a huge amount of gain, still does not have any plainly audible distortion or other artifacts, then there is most likely to be no real - practically relevant - issue.

Sep 20, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #1,324 of 7,175
My ears and what I hear are my evidence.

I can accept your belief system (Science) without insult.

Why do you empiricists lack the ability to reciprocate?

Ya right. Here is what your vision alone(!) can do to your audio signal chain.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-lN8vWm3m0
No digital, no wires. Purely analog human hearing and perception. Highly fascinating field by the way. Where again was your evidence in hearing? It is true that you are free to believe what you want but unless you didn't reliably test yourself and hear a difference in blind-tests or abx-testing, there is no evidence and a high probability that you imagine the difference. Believe what you want personaly, however, the problem arises when people seek advice on if they should buy high-rez files or expensive gear and they are told without evidence that there is a huuuge difference. It is misleading and the basis of so many fraud in the audio world. That's why we can't reciprocate.

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #1,325 of 7,175

Ya right. Here is what your vision alone(!) can do to your audio signal chain.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-lN8vWm3m0
No digital, no wires. Purely analog human hearing and perception. Highly fascinating field by the way. Where again was your evidence in hearing? It is true that you are free to believe what you want but unless you didn't reliably test yourself and hear a difference in blind-tests or abx-testing, there is no evidence and a high probability that you imagine the difference. Believe what you want personaly, however, the problem arises when people seek advice on if they should buy high-rez files or expensive gear and they are told without evidence that there is a huuuge difference. It is misleading and the basis of so many fraud in the audio world. That's why we can't reciprocate.

That is nuts!

Sep 21, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #1,326 of 7,175
HOLD up, totally un realted but xnor is BANNED... when did that happen :O I was JUST reading his posts here. And I find a thread with him and I see that his title is banned? Is that an error on my part or is he really banned [if he is REALLY banned... I won't ask why] just curious

also this my be unrealted but listened to my fully balanced DT 880 today, from dac to amp to can... 24bit still sounded just as spacious as 16 

Sep 21, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #1,329 of 7,175
We all take turns being thrown out into the street here in Sound Science. I'm sure Galileo and Darwin were treated like this by the rabble with their torches and pitchforks too.

Sep 21, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #1,331 of 7,175
They master at 24 bit so the filters they apply for sweetening can take advantage of the lower noise floor and higher sampling rate. Once it's processed, it sounds exactly the same as the 16 bit bouncedown.

High bitrates are an advantage for mixing and mastering. For normal listening, redbook is all you need.

Sep 21, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #1,332 of 7,175
They master at 24 bit so the filters they apply for sweetening can take advantage of the lower noise floor and higher sampling rate. Once it's processed, it sounds exactly the same as the 16 bit bouncedown.

High bitrates are an advantage for mixing and mastering. For normal listening, redbook is all you need.

So people claiming to hear a difference based on the different mastering, are BS-ing?

Sep 21, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #1,334 of 7,175
So people claiming to hear a difference based on the different mastering, are BS-ing?

No not at all. The mastering is different, so it's going to sound different.

Again, 24 bit is useful for the sorts of filtering and sweetening done as a part of the mastering process. It helps to have a wider range to draw from when you are doing noise reduction and equalization. 24 bit mastering can sound better than 16 bit mastering.

However, once you bounce the finished, mastered track from 24 bit to 16 bit to put it on a CD, there is no audible difference between the 24 bit and 16 bit bouncedown. The higher bitrate is only an advantage in MASTERING. There is no advantage to high bitrates when just listening to a track on your home stereo.

Is that clearer?

Sep 21, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #1,335 of 7,175
No not at all. The mastering is different, so it's going to sound different.

Again, 24 bit is useful for the sorts of filtering and sweetening done as a part of the mastering process. It helps to have a wider range to draw from when you are doing noise reduction and equalization. 24 bit mastering can sound better than 16 bit mastering.

However, once you bounce the finished, mastered track from 24 bit to 16 bit to put it on a CD, there is no audible difference between the 24 bit and 16 bit bouncedown. The higher bitrate is only an advantage in MASTERING. There is no advantage to high bitrates when just listening to a track on your home stereo.

Is that clearer?

Very clear! Thanks :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back