24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded!
Jan 6, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #5,521 of 7,175
I find that every forum has nut jobs (even this one!) You just have to read what people say and look for the people who seem to have practical experience rather than the armchair experts who speak purely in theory. It also helps to figure out whether someone is talking about something they've experienced rather than just repeating common knowledge. If you make note of the good posters and what their specialty is, you can glean information from posts even if your own subjective taste is different than theirs.

But some forums actively promote the nut jobs. I've found a few of those and I don't spend much time there. The forum mentioned falls into that category for me.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #5,522 of 7,175
which is why professional mixers have never been 24bit devices (let alone 16bit).
Even the early ones were about 28bit but by the time there were widely used they
were 32bit float or 48bit, as I've already explained just a few posts previously.

AHHH... So you were saying that even 35-ought years ago, they had higher than 24bit mixers. I didn't pick up that inference the first time. Well what about recording? Still stuck with 16/44.1 for sessions? Then even a 64bit mixer wouldn't do a whole lot of good. Kind of like importing a 128k mp3 and exporting a 320k mp3 from it. Not very useful.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #5,523 of 7,175
But obviously there is some benefit to using higher specs on the production side, or else they would not have bothered to start doing it, right?

One will more quickly raise the noise floor if the entire production process - RMM(Recording sessions, Mixing, Mastering) is done at 16/44.1 than at 24/92 or higher before exporting to consumer formats, correct?

Sort of analogous to a wedding photographer capturing the event portraits at the highest raw megapixels he can afford, and his equipment is capable of, before any touch-up processing is done and smaller 8x10s, 5x7s, or wallet-sized copies of the special day's photos are produced.
I wonder whether you see the irony in your preference for the sound quality of 1980s CDs.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #5,524 of 7,175
I wonder whether you see the irony in your preference for the sound
quality of 1980s CDs.

I wonder if you(and not to mention countless others) see the irony in comparing the sound quality of 1980s CDs to cassettes or 78rpm records. Tired of hearing that schitt, seriously.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #5,525 of 7,175
I wonder if you(and not to mention countless others) see the irony in comparing the sound quality of 1980s CDs to cassettes or 78rpm records. Tired of hearing that schitt, seriously.
I actually prefer the sound quality of most CDs made in the 1980s to their contemporary counterpart. The irony is that those later "remastered" CDs which you constantly criticise are the product of 24 bit processing. The flat transfers which feature on most 1980s CDs are the product of 16 bit and analog workstation limitations.

Jan 6, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #5,526 of 7,175
I actually prefer the sound quality of most CDs made in the 1980s to their
contemporary counterpart. The irony is that those later "remastered" CDs which you
constantly criticise are the product of 24 bit processing. The flat transfers which feature on
most 1980s CDs are the product of 16 bit and analog workstation limitations.

Well, it's unfortunate that we'll never get to experience those flat transfers done at 24bit. But at least the '80s era CD releases are closer to the original by virtue of being mostly flat transfers. The CDs made from 24bit processing sadly suffered the final step: the brickwall limiting that just made them louder thsn the 80s transfers.

Jan 7, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #5,527 of 7,175
[1] So, if I have a bunch of music in 24 bit, and I only use it for listening, no mixing or anything.. Is it safe to say that a can just convert everything to 16 bit (to save some space) and I won't hear a difference?
[2] And a different question. 24 bit can go up to 192khz. ...So my question is, say I have Really good headphones, a Really good source, and a Really good recording.. will I be able to "feel" the difference between 48 vs 192khz? I just want it to sound as natural and realistic as possible.
[3] The real world has unlimited (almost) frequencies, thought we can't even hear them.
[3a] But for example: dog whistles. We can't here them, but there where a couple of time I was walking with a friend in a park with his dog, and I was at a distance, and he just blew the whistle (I was looking in a different direction), but for some reason I just know that "something" is different, and I look in that direction.

1. True.

2. Higher sample rates only make a difference in capturing very high freqs, for very low freqs they make no difference. You won't be able to hear or feel the difference between 48 and 192kHz with really good headphones. There's a chance you might if using not so good headphones though, because they're liable to produce distortion in the audible range in response to very high/ultrasonic frequency content (this is called IMD, Inter-Modulation Distortion).

3. But we're not dealing with the real world, we're dealing with the music world. Musical instruments have been designed by humans for human hearing and produce relatively little or in some cases no freqs beyond 20kHz. There are some exceptions, mainly metalophones like gamalan or glockenspiel for example but at typical audience listening distances they still have relatively little ultrasonic content and have not been reliably differentiated with 48 vs 192kHz recordings.
3a. As mentioned, some dog whistles aren't quite ultrasonic, they're just within the limits of human hearing baring in mind they output extremely high sound pressure levels. Even the truly ultrasonic dog whistles can produce distortion just within the limits of human hearing when blown hard.

[1] AHHH... So you were saying that even 35-ought years ago, they had higher than 24bit mixers. I didn't pick up that inference the first time.
[2] Well what about recording? Still stuck with 16/44.1 for sessions?
[2a] Then even a 64bit mixer wouldn't do a whole lot of good. Kind of like importing a 128k mp3 and exporting a 320k mp3 from it. Not very useful.

1. The first widely used digital mixer was introduced in 1987 (Yamaha DMP7), I'm not sure what internal processing it had but believe it was more than 24bit. However, it wasn't used in the music recording industry, it was used in live sound/music reinforcement and broadcast. This was due to the functionality it offered (total recall, flying faders, automation, etc.) over analogue desks, not the sound quality, which wasn't great. Around 1990 Yamaha introduced the DMC1000, which did have good sound quality and was occasionally used in the music recording industry but still mainly in broadcast and live sound. Trevor Horn used one on Seal's first album (Crazy, Killer, etc.) but I don't recall if he used it exclusively, certainly digital mixing wasn't used for mastering until well into the millennium. The DMC1000 had 28bit internal processing, later (mid 1990s) digital desks used in music recording were 32bit float, Sony's Oxford desk for example.

2. I've already said! It was mainly 16/44.1 for recording up until the millennium, although 20bit became more widespread starting in the early 1990's up until 24bit around the millennium.
2a. No, you're not getting it, even though you yourself brought it up! Sure, there's no benefit whatsoever of importing 16/44 into a 64bit mixer but then the whole point of a digital mixer is to mix, not just to import! And as you mentioned, each and every processor within a digital mixer adds quantisation noise which accumulates. Baring in mind the average rock song (and all other non-acoustic popular genres) employs dozens of processes/processors, the quantisation noise would become unacceptable, regardless of whether the original tracking is at 16bit or 24bit. 64bit processing allows thousands of processes before the accumulated quantisation noise would become audible, which covers any eventuality.

[1] The irony is that those later "remastered" CDs which you constantly criticise are the product of 24 bit processing.
[2] The flat transfers which feature on most 1980s CDs are the product of 16 bit and analog workstation limitations.

1. As I've mentioned, "those later remastered CDs" were not the product of 24bit processing, as there's never been 24bit processing used in commercial music production to my knowledge. It was the product of 32bit float or 48bit fixed processing.

2. To clarify, with the exception of some/a few classical recordings, the process was: Recording on multi-track tape, constantly replaying that tape out to an analogue desk (with "outboard" gear) where it was mixed. When all the desk's (and outboard gear's) parameters we adjusted to produce the desired mix, the result was "bounced" (recorded) back down to tape. There was no such thing as an analog workstation. Digital recording did not change this workflow at all, it was still multi-track tape, constantly replayed out to an analogue desk, etc. The only difference was that the multi-track tape recorded digital audio (and then replayed it through the recorder's DACs) rather than analogue audio. The only workflow change was in editing, as digital audio tape couldn't be spliced and was a rather more involved and time consuming process. Digital workstations started to be used in the mid 1990s but not as workstations, they we're used for editing because they massively reduced the editing time, as well at it being more accurate and non-destructive (and bit depth is irrelevant to editing as there's no processing involved). It wasn't until the very end of the 1990's that they started being used as workstations (IE. For recording, editing and mixing), the first No.1 done this way was Ricky Martin's "Living La Vida Loca" in 1999, although outboard analogue gear was still employed and the mastering was still analogue. Fully ITB (In The Box, no analogue outboard gear) didn't start really taking over in the commercial music world until the mid 2000's, quite a few years after 32bit or 48bit fixed mix environments/processing was standard, with mastering being the last bastion to hold out for a few years more.

Baring all the above in mind, I don't really understand what you mean by "flat transfers" or what TheSonicTruth is trying to say with his response?

G

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #5,528 of 7,175
introduced in 1987 (Yamaha DMP7), I'm not sure what internal processing
it had but believe it was more than 24bit. However, it wasn't used in the
music recording industry, it was used in live sound/music reinforcement and broadcast.
This was due to the functionality it offered (total recall, flying faders, automation, etc.)
over analogue desks, not the sound quality, which wasn't great.

So what about these early digital desks was behind such 'not so great' sound quality? Converters of the day?

Digital workstations started to be used in the mid 1990s but not as
workstations, they we're used for editing because they massively reduced the
editing time, as well at it being more accurate and non-destructive (and bit depth
is irrelevant to editing as there's no processing involved). It wasn't until the very
end of the 1990's that they started being used as workstations (IE. For recording,
editing and mixing), the first No.1 done this way was Ricky Martin's "Living La
Vida Loca" in 1999,

Ahh, so it's songs like that which misled the public that that digital formats themselves were behind such super-compressed & loud releases! They failed to realize that it was the human processing, not the format.

Baring all the above in mind, I don't really understand what you mean by "flat
transfers" or what TheSonicTruth is trying to say with his response?

Isn't it common knowledge that the very earliest CD releases(1980 up to about 85-86) - the pop ones anyway, not jazz or classical - were produced straight from the same stereo masters used for LP records, minus the RIAA treatment which was applied later on at the vinyl cutting lathe, and with little or no additional processing(EQ, comp, etc)?

And what did you not understand from my response in post #5526?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #5,529 of 7,175
2. I've already said! It was mainly 16/44.1 for recording up until the millennium,
although 20bit became more widespread starting in the early 1990's up until
24bit around the millennium.

So, in my infinite, and admittedly Dyslexic wisdom, I had it completely the wrong way round. It was the recording sessions(and legacy flat transfers for that matter) that were mainly 16/44.1 up until 2000, and the mixing desks themselves that were 32-float and higher. Was 24-bit & higher session recording still possible before 1990?? It would have been better, and I'm sure it was available. My take is that the barriers to wiDespread adoption of it were, thirty years ago, the usual suspects: storage space, and affordability.

For one, I would love to have owned a CD issue of 'THRILLER' or any of the late-70s Roth-era Van Halen albums made from 24- or higher - bit 96k sampling transfers of those original stereo masters! The same for James Taylor, Donna Summer, Earth Wind & Fire, Fleetwood Mac, and so on. If only....

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #5,530 of 7,175
Was 24-bit & higher session recording still possible before 1990??
"Possible"? Yes. Practical and done in practice? No.
It would have been better, and I'm sure it was available.
I'm sure you are sure of both. But you're also wrong on both counts.
24 bit quantization, in the real world, doesn't improve resolution at all. The "steps" aren't smaller because they aren't there in the first place. All more bits can ever do is result in a lower noise floor, but at -144dBFS theoretical, it's below the practical noise floor of every other device in the system including the ADC's own input stage. In 2020 there remain no ADCs with true 24 bit noise floors, nor mics, preamps, and most importantly, rooms, with noise floors even anywhere close, typically worse than 16 bits.
My take is that the barriers to wisespread adoption of it were, thirty years ago, the usual suspects: storage space, and affordability.
We recorded digits on tape back then. Studio-grade recorders were most often DASH machines, two and multi track, and always 16/48 with the highest rate being 50k, mostly not used because resampling to 44.1 for CD release raised the noise floor 3dB.

The typical biggie HDD was 200mB. For computer -based editing, it took a stack of Ultra SCSI Fast/Wide drives to edit a project, and there was only enough room for the raw good takes plus fade files used in cross-fade edits, and only one project in the machine at a time. Early computer editing (like the Studer Dyaxis) were sluggish, pricy, temperamental beasts. I watched a ProTools demo in the early 1990s that showed a 1 second cross-fade taking 22 minutes to render. Editing was a major pain.
For one, I would love to have owned a CD issue of 'THRILLER' or any of the late-70s Roth-era Van Halen albums made from 24- or higher - bit 96k sampling transfers of those original stereo masters! The same for James Taylor, Donna Summer, Earth Wind & Fire, Fleetwood Mac, and so on. If only....
They'd sound exactly the same as what you have now. None of that is demanding material at all, and none comes even close to needing 16 bits.

Nice to see things don't change here. All the time I've been away, and it's the same arguments by the same people ignoring the same experts.

Jan 7, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #5,531 of 7,175
[1] So what about these early digital desks was behind such 'not so great' sound quality? Converters of the day?
[2] Ahh, so it's songs like that which misled the public that that digital formats themselves were behind such super-compressed & loud releases! [2a] They failed to realize that it was the human processing, not the format.
[3] Isn't it common knowledge that the very earliest CD releases(1980 up to about 85-86) - the pop ones anyway, not jazz or classical - were produced straight from the same stereo masters used for LP records, minus the RIAA treatment which was applied later on at the vinyl cutting lathe, and with little or no additional processing(EQ, comp, etc)?
[4] And what did you not understand from my response in post #5526?

1. I don't know for certain but an educated guess would be not so much the "converters of the day" but more the sophistication of the algorithms employed, both in terms of the limited amount of DSP power available at the time and in terms of the programming knowledge to make the most efficient use of it. The DMC1000 had many times the DSP capabilities of the DMP7 and was developed with the help of engineers from Deutsche Grammophon (who had been using their own custom built, very simple but good SQ digital mixers since about the release of CD for their classical releases).

2. I'm not sure about that. The really hyper-compressed releases started a few years before then.
2a. True, that always been the case.

3. I'm not sure that is the case. I'm sure it was sometimes but probably not all the time and much more so in recent times. LP cutting requires certain other conditions besides just the application of the RIAA curve.

4. What you mean by "flat transfers done at 24bit" and "CD's made from 24bit processing".

[1] So, in my infinite, and admittedly Dyslexic wisdom, I had it completely the wrong way round. It was the recording sessions that were mainly 16/44.1 up until 2000, and the mixing desks themselves that were 32-float and higher.
[2] Was 24-bit & higher session recording still possible before 1990?? It would have been better, and I'm sure it was available.
[3] My take is that the barriers to wisespread adoption of it were, thirty years ago, the usual suspects: storage space, and affordability.

1. Correct, although bare in mind that the vast majority of non-acoustic music recordings were recorded in 16/44 but mixed in analog up until 2000 (and even somewhat beyond). Digital mixing desks in the 1990s were all higher than 24bit but were not as widely used in the commercial music as analog desks.

2. No, it wasn't. The first commercial 24bit recording available as far as I recall was Pro Tools in 1997 (which had 48bit internal processing) but the converters weren't that good, better 24bit converters (from Apogee and Prism) became available a couple of years later and were common around the millennium. The first 20bit recording was Yamaha's DMR8 released in 1990 which was still tape based, although other Japanese manufacturers (Mitsubishi, Otari) released optical disk based 20bit recorders around the same time or a year or two later. Again though, these weren't really widely used, the commercial music industry largely stuck with 16bit Sony DASH and Otari until they too did 24bit versions in mid/late 1990's. I don't remember the exact time line and might be out by a couple of years here and there but there certainly wasn't commercial music 24bit recording before the mid/late 1990's.

3. Again, not so much. The Sony 3348 DASH (16bit, tape based) was used by many/most of the world's top commercial music studios in the late '80's, it weighed several hundred pounds, cost about $300,000 and it's main competitors (mainly Mitsubishi) were about the same. On top of that, the desks (analog or digital) were typically $300,000 - $750,000 so affordability wasn't much of an issue. When it came to DAWs, the only game in town commercially was Pro Tools and although storage space was an issue, the bigger issue was transfer speeds of HDs and available DSP power. To have usable track counts for 24/44.1 or 24/48 at the turn of the millennium required arrays of the latest SCSI standard HDs and multiple hardware DSP cards.

G

Jan 7, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #5,532 of 7,175
Hey @pinnahertz I didn't see your reply before I posted mine, great to see you back here! Professional knowledge and expertise is a bit thin on the ground around here these days.

G

Jan 7, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #5,533 of 7,175
"Possible"? Yes. Practical and done in practice? No.
I'm sure you are sure of both. But you're also wrong on both counts.
24 bit quantization, in the real world, doesn't improve resolution at all.
The "steps" aren't smaller because they aren't there in the first place.
All more bits can ever do is result in a lower noise floor, but at -144dBFS
theoretical, it's below the practical noise floor of every other device in the
system including the ADC's own input stage. In 2020 there remain no ADCs
with true 24 bit noise floors, nor mics, preamps, and most importantly, rooms,
with noise floors even anywhere close, typically worse than 16 bits.
We recorded digits on tape back then. Studio-grade recorders were most
often DASH machines, two and multi track, and always 16/48 with the highest
rate being 50k, mostly not used because resampling to 44.1 for CD release
raised the noise floor 3dB.

The typical biggie HDD was 200mB. For computer -based editing, it took a
stack of Ultra SCSI Fast/Wide drives to edit a project, and there was only enough
room for the raw good takes plus fade files used in cross-fade edits, and only one
project in the machine at a time. Early computer editing (like the Studer Dyaxis)
were sluggish, pricy, temperamental beasts. I watched a ProTools demo in the
early 1990s that showed a 1 second cross-fade taking 22 minutes to render.
Editing was a major pain.

They'd sound exactly the same as what you have now. None of that is demanding
material at all, and none comes even close to needing 16 bits.

Nice to see things don't change here. All the time I've been away, and it's the same
arguments by the same people ignoring the same experts.

Well, my 'argument' for higher specs is from a production(including recording sessions) context, not from one of the end-listener formats. I apologize if my argument came off otherwise - a la audiophile, etc.

Jan 7, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #5,534 of 7,175
LP cutting requires certain other conditions besides just the
application of the RIAA curve.

Such as bottom end roll-off, and the center of remaining bass elements? Of course! But those should have no impact on the sound as heard on CD, other than just a little bass-shy.

4. What you mean by "flat transfers done at 24bit" and "CD's
made from 24bit processing".

Simple: Recording of a band, or in the case of CD from legacy, transfer of original master tapes to digital at higher than Red Book specs. mixing(in the case of the band's session tracks), and mastering, all at higher than Red Book. Then dither down to 16/44.1 Red Book.

Jan 7, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #5,535 of 7,175
Welcome back Pinnahertz!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back