24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded!
Apr 6, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #3,271 of 7,175
  Yes batlike hearing is a requirement, sheesh. DACs do not remove spacial queues and if you bought a DAC with an inferior FR that chops off treble, then you must have found a real dud on fleaBay. Only people with alien DNA can hear above 20 kHz.

Sorry, it does not work that way. It is a typical excuse to insinuate that people who claim there is requirement above CD redbook have inferiour equipment bought at fleabay.

I did indeed buy my Korgs on fleabay - because it was more or less the only way, I bought them before they were available in my country - and after. And they do, regardless being now 9 years old, still use some of the best ADCs and DACs money can buy - on fleabay - or anywhere else.

I CAN NOT HEAR ABOVE 20 kHz. I have written that at least one too many times. Yet the audible impression I stated IS correct - at least to my ears. Alien or not.

Apr 6, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #3,272 of 7,175
Even if you can't directly hear that ultrasonic content, you value a DAC and amp's ability to reproduce it. So what headphones do you use? Im not aware of any that hypothetically go that high.

Apr 6, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #3,274 of 7,175
  False. 

Digital yes - but 44.1/16 has to go trough output filter - and 22.1 kHz brick filter limits rise time

Well now you are talking about the specifics of D/A conversion, not the format itself. Yes, different low pass filters will limit the rise time of a DAC's output, but it is irrelevant because the rise time is enough for all audible sounds and more.

Apr 6, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #3,275 of 7,175
  Sorry, it does not work that way. It is a typical excuse to insinuate that people who claim there is requirement above CD redbook have inferiour equipment bought at fleabay.

I did indeed buy my Korgs on fleabay - because it was more or less the only way, I bought them before they were available in my country - and after. And they do, regardless being now 9 years old, still use some of the best ADCs and DACs money can buy - on fleabay - or anywhere else.

I CAN NOT HEAR ABOVE 20 kHz. I have written that at least one too many times. Yet the audible impression I stated IS correct - at least to my ears. Alien or not.

Barring imagination, if you can't hear it, you don't need it.

Apr 6, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #3,276 of 7,175
Analog, what headphones/ speakers do you use to play back that content over 100khz on your DSD128 recordings?

I did write that many times before. Stax Lambda Pro and Technics SB-RX 50 . Both are good to approx 35-40 kHz - depending how you look at them or how they are measured.

DSD128 DOES NOT extend over 100 kHz - at least not flat. It requires filtering because of the out of band noise - and its real filtered response is flat to about 50 kHz, with 6dB/octave filtering above. To reach flat 100 khz with DSD, DSD256 or higher is required. Too much $$$$ for me at the moment ( Merging Hapi w/DSD input cards, approx EUR 7000 and up, depending on number of channels/cards, DSD256. I will wait till DSD512 version will not appear. )

I will try to hear the new Technics speaker that came out around December/January, based on SB-RX 50 from mid 80s - this one really does extend its response to 100 kHz and is a model of linearity in the "audible" range, too. Test (flying colours) of the small speaker appeared in German Stereoplay - but both speakers share the crucial midrange/tweeter coaxial driver.

http://www.technics.com/global/

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/technics-reborn-and-the-direct-drive-elephant-in-the-room/

Apr 6, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #3,278 of 7,175
  Barring imagination, if you can't hear it, you don't need it.

I WISH it was that simple.

Please go trough last few posts - the improved pulse response DOES allow much finer gradations of what is audible and what not. It will allow, for example, the audibility of string section on quiet entry a few moments before on DSD than on PCM - depending on resolution of each, this time can take from few tenths to few seconds... - it is NOT an imaginary difference that does not require ability to hear beyond 20 kHz.

And forget "it must be a different master" mantra, so popular over here - derived from my own DSD original recording, the only manipulation being bouncing down to whatever format.

Apr 6, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #3,279 of 7,175
What does a quiet string entry have to do with rise time? Are we talking frequency response or dynamic range (the same thing in weird DSD world, I know)?

Apr 6, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #3,280 of 7,175

Well now you are talking about the specifics of D/A conversion, not the format itself. Yes, different low pass filters will limit the rise time of a DAC's output, but it is irrelevant because the rise time is enough for all audible sounds and more.

According to the above, there would be no craving for moving coil phono cartridges. Yet we all know in real life it is not so. Because it SOUNDS different. Ask any seasoned analog vinyl record listener.

Despite the fact that I am proponent of moving magnet carts; with a twist - managed to make them at least comparably fast to the finest MCs. While retaining their lower distortion and greater dynamic range ...

Apr 6, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #3,281 of 7,175
Originally Posted by analogsurviver /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It will allow, for example, the audibility of string section on quiet entry a few moments before on DSD than on PCM - depending on resolution of each, this time can take from few tenths to few seconds... - it is NOT an imaginary difference that does not require ability to hear beyond 20 kHz.

DSD has no advantage over PCM, only disadvantages. And high res audio is only good for recording sounds too quiet to hear or ultrasonic frequencies. It's as simple as that.

Apr 6, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #3,282 of 7,175
  According to the above, there would be no craving for moving coil phono cartridges. Yet we all know in real life it is not so. Because it SOUNDS different. Ask any seasoned analog vinyl record listener.

Despite the fact that I am proponent of moving magnet carts; with a twist - managed to make them at least comparably fast to the finest MCs. While retaining their lower distortion and greater dynamic range ...

Every time I point out your mistakes you conveniently jump to a different topic. What do MC cartridges have to do with 24 bit digital audio!?

Apr 6, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #3,283 of 7,175

There are any number of reasons different cartridge designs could sound different. It's not clear why you single out rise times.

Apr 6, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #3,284 of 7,175
I WISH it was that simple.

Please go trough last few posts - the improved pulse response DOES allow much finer gradations of what is audible and what not. It will allow, for example, the audibility of string section on quiet entry a few moments before on DSD than on PCM - depending on resolution of each, this time can take from few tenths to few seconds... - it is NOT an imaginary difference that does not require ability to hear beyond 20 kHz.

And forget "it must be a different master" mantra, so popular over here - derived from my own DSD original recording, the only manipulation being bouncing down to whatever format.

How does an impulse response improvement in microseconds become an audible improvement on the order of tenths to a few seconds?

Apr 6, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #3,285 of 7,175
How does an impulse response improvement in microseconds become an audible improvement on the order of tenths to a few seconds?

It doesn't. Analoguesurvivor makes this up as he goes along.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back