240m vs. ko1/650?
Jun 18, 2006 at 6:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

blue4n3

100+ Head-Fier
I have the AKG K240monitors and want to know if anyone can give me the differences/similarities that they have to the AKG K701. I am also curoius about the HD650. I listened to the Senn Gaming 'phone (PC150) and like the overall sound (minus what I think might be the veil which seems less lively than the 240). The bass heft was nice for some genres on the PC150. That said, the 240m (obviously) chewed the 150's and spit 'em out. the soundstage was SOO much larger, and the air, speed, detail, and seperation was huge. The only thing about the 240m is that the bass is too rolled off for me. Not to mention the lack of quantity. I still want the detail, however. Any suggestions? Would the k701 fix the shortcomings of the 240m or am I a candidate for the 650? I will buy from somehwere that I can return it to so I can demo them, but curious as to which one would most likely suit me the best.
thanks,
Neil

Jun 18, 2006 at 2:49 PM Post #2 of 17
I own the K240S and K240M. I've never heard the K701 but you'll get more "everything" with the HD 650.

Imo the K240M is too difficult to drive and due to this I was never happy with their lack of dynamics. They are a nice accurate headphone for monitoring.

You'll be pleased with either choice as an upgrade I think.

Jun 18, 2006 at 7:58 PM Post #4 of 17
K240M bass is not enough for you?
eek.gif
You'd better check your amplifier. As for me, I can't tolerate 240M' bass with a good amp - bass drums push my eyes out.
basshead.gif
that's one of the reasons why I don't use them much. The others are:
soundstage, air, speed, detail, and seperation.
K240DF do that better, and K501 do that much better.

Jun 18, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoewreck
K240M bass is not enough for you?
eek.gif
You'd better check your amplifier. As for me, I can't tolerate 240M' bass with a good amp - bass drums push my eyes out.
basshead.gif
that's one of the reasons why I don't use them much. The others are:
soundstage, air, speed, detail, and seperation.
K240DF do that better, and K501 do that much better.

Really? I use the MicroAmp (DM) or Xin SM3 w/AD8610 with my ipod (line out) or powerbook (MicroDAC in transit from Headroom) and find the bass very light. Granted, I am speaking for more bass focused genres of music. For acoustic, classical, and classic rock I love my 240monitors. The bass for things like bass guitar are very detailed and tight, but for electronic basses it lacks heavily. Even bass guitarists sound as if they are sitting lower than the rest of the band or that they are further away dimensionally (z axis) now that I think of it. My UM2 have bass that makes my eyes pop! Not my AKG.

Jun 19, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #6 of 17
I think the K240 would seem congested/muddy compared to most open cans. I heard the K270 and did not like the sound at all. Just wasn't my style. I'd say over those, the K701 or HD650 would be a huge upgrade. Personally, I prefer the K701, as evidenced by my sig, but that's just me.

Jun 19, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by blue4n3
Do the 650s seem comgested and somewhat muddy compared to the 240? THE PC150 WERE, but they are far from hi-fi.

Earlier today I compared the 2 (since you'd asked) and actually the K240M seemed congested/muddy compared to my 650. The 650 has better bass, mids , and treble...like say, better everything.

I'm not sure how Shoewreck is getting huge bass from the K240M (sure it's not the K240S??)...I don't hear that with any of my amps.

Jun 19, 2006 at 5:48 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane
Earlier today I compared the 2 (since you'd asked) and actually the K240M seemed congested/muddy compared to my 650. The 650 has better bass, mids , and treble...like say, better everything.

I'm not sure how Shoewreck is getting huge bass from the K240M (sure it's not the K240S??)...I don't hear that with any of my amps.

thank you, that was pretty much what I wanted to know. I really want to get another brand so I can hear things differently, find my sound, and just gain experience. That said, I love the AKG sound, so it was a toss up between the 701 and 650. I definately think I will go with the 650.

And are the 240m not considered smei-open? They definately do NOT sound like a closed can to me.

And any idea about the HD700 or is it a myth at this point? I can definately wait a few months (maybe 3) if they are about to come out. Or get the K701 until the HD700 come out.
very_evil_smiley.gif

thinkin aloud

cheers

Jun 19, 2006 at 12:02 PM Post #9 of 17
In the past I had 2 AKG K240M at different times (say, three years apart), and the older was indeed too light on bass. The more recent one, though, sounded fuller in the bass (never too much so). But I remember I preferred the older one thanks to the slightly sweeter midrange (on the newer it sounded a bit too dry).

Jun 19, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

thank you, that was pretty much what I wanted to know. I really want to get another brand so I can hear things differently, find my sound, and just gain experience. That said, I love the AKG sound, so it was a toss up between the 701 and 650. I definately think I will go with the 650.

And are the 240m not considered smei-open? They definately do NOT sound like a closed can to me.

And any idea about the HD700 or is it a myth at this point? I can definately wait a few months (maybe 3) if they are about to come out. Or get the K701 until the HD700 come out.
very_evil_smiley.gif

thinkin aloud

cheers

Not long ago I had the tough decision between the K701 & HD 650 as my next "final"
tongue.gif
headphone upgrade.

After reading for hours here I finaly decided that the Senn would give me what I wanted and since I already had the DT-880 the 650 made even more sense.

The AKG K240M are considered semi-open.

...new Senn model?? who knows, I wouldn't hold your breath
rolleyes.gif

You could buy both (701 & 650) KA-CHING
eggosmile.gif

Jun 19, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane
Not long ago I had the tough decision between the K701 & HD 650 as my next "final"
tongue.gif
headphone upgrade.

After reading for hours here I finaly decided that the Senn would give me what I wanted and since I already had the DT-880 the 650 made even more sense.

The AKG K240M are considered semi-open.

...new Senn model?? who knows, I wouldn't hold your breath
rolleyes.gif

You could buy both (701 & 650) KA-CHING
eggosmile.gif

OH NO!! this is not my end all headphone. I want to collect the tops from each manufacture! I just want the biggest SQ change/upgrade that I can get becuase it will be a few months before I can buy another paiir
very_evil_smiley.gif

stupid Head-fi and cumpulsive headphone collecting
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 19, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

OH NO!! this is not my end all headphone. I want to collect the tops from each manufacture! I just want the biggest SQ change/upgrade that I can get becuase it will be a few months before I can buy another paiir
very_evil_smiley.gif

stupid Head-fi and cumpulsive headphone collecting
evil_smiley.gif

lol

It never ends
evil_smiley.gif
in a good way.

I see that you own both a Supermacro and Micro. Which crossfeed do you prefer and why? (just brief if you prefer)

I have plans to buy a Supermini to use with my IEMS.

Jun 20, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #13 of 17
I like the Micro(DM) crossfeed by far. It is much smoother and changes the soundstage very nicely. The Macro crossfeed is good for some material, but I find the channel blending (for lack of better terms) more prominant than the micro. The Micro creates a slight change that is great for the soundstage from cans that have good soundstage (for me it is the 240m) with a small bump in the mids (some say midbass, but to me its in the mids).

The Macro crossfeed is, IMO, far less developed (I have not heard the brand new rendition of Xin's amps though). I find that it mixes the channels properly, but the Macro is just smoother and presents the instruments better. The Macro does something similar, but just not like the Micro. I can't completely describe it. That said, the Macro (or mini-I have one with the new module on the way) works well with IEM if you need crossfeed. The Xin amp has a little bit less space and air, but is thicker, and find it works well with IEMs on the go. For recordings that are panned left and right, I don't think you can go wrong with either-they both correct that problem (saves my beetles albums from being speaker-only material).

I bought the Supermini a couple weeks ago and am waiting for it to be shipped. Haven't got a work from Xin yet though. I will do a breif comparo with the Micro crossfeed and the new module Mini when I get it. This way I can give you a fair evaluation before you buy.

Cheers

Jun 20, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #14 of 17
Where do you live? Are there any Head-fiers near you? Both the 650s and 701s are pretty popular. Maybe you can listen in before buying. I recently was in a similar situation. I have HD580s and had only read about the others. Had a chance to get to a meet. Lucky timing. For me it's the 650s, but I needed to listen to both with my amp, my source, and my music before I really knew what I wanted to buy. When I was studying head-fi posts to learn about the differences I thought I would prefer the AKGs based on what I read, but my ears said no. Now I'm just I'm looking for a good used pair. Good luck to you.

Jun 20, 2006 at 6:21 AM Post #15 of 17
My route, AKG 701s, travelling into Senn 650 territory, then checking out the sa5000s. Truly hoping to get my hands on some AKG 340s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back