24-bit Vinyl Recordings?
Feb 1, 2004 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Mr. X

100+ Head-Fier
I am currently making incredible 24-bit recordings from vinyl by going this route:

Technics 1200--->Mixer--->Sony MDS-E10 (MiniDisc Pro Deck; pass through it to use its 24-bit ADC)--->Mark Of The Unicorn 828 (24-bit, 96KHz)--->Mac--->TC Works Spark XL

I use the slightest amount of Declicking and EQ; the results are fantastic.

Here's my question: Can I get the same results by purchasing a 24-bit CD Recorder (such as Tascam)? I want to know if I can just have it hooked up to my hi-fi, and go:

Technics 1200--->Rotel RX-1050---->24-bit CD-R......

...and at that point, I'd burn the CD, pop it in my Mac, rip the recording into Spark XL, add Declick & EQ, and then burn the final CD-R.

My goal is to remove all of the clutter from my Mac. I'd like to just record everything through my hi-fi, then take the CD-R to the Mac for restoration and editing. I'm just not sure how the whole 24-bit thing works....will it record in 24-bit, then dither to 16-bit before burning the CD on the deck? Will this produce results as good as going straight into the Mac at 24-bit?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Feb 1, 2004 at 6:10 AM Post #2 of 15
why even pass it through your sony deck?--you think it sounds better than the MOTU?--i doubt it.

and why would you want to buy that CD deck if your're gonna end up porting it to the computer anyway?--defeats the purpose of having a stand-alone CD burner.

just use your MOTU like it's supposed to--go straight from the mixer to the MOTU analog ins. or if you really hate the ADC's, get a stand-alone ADC... don't use this sony mini deck or another CD player just for conversion purposes.

Feb 1, 2004 at 9:21 PM Post #5 of 15
No, I record them in 24/96, but then I dither back down to 16-bit so I can play in any deck.

The whole thing is such a hassle that I might change my mind and stick with MD. It might be worth sacrificing some sound for convenience.

Feb 1, 2004 at 9:38 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Orpheus
i don't understand... why don't you just record straight into the computer? that's the simplest and best performing solution.

I have...the ADC on the MD deck is better. I was hoping to find a way to remove clutter from the computer by recording everything through the hi-fi, then editing it on the Mac.

Feb 1, 2004 at 10:40 PM Post #8 of 15
UPON FURTHER REVIEW....

The 828 has a much better ADC than the MD deck, afterall. You guys were right.....I must have been doing something wrong...

Anyway, are you sure I couldn't get a recording as good by going into a PRO CD-R deck, burning the CD, editing the CD on the Mac, then burning a new CD..?? If not, I guess I'll just always need to deal w/ the clutter.

Feb 1, 2004 at 11:11 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. X
UPON FURTHER REVIEW....

The 828 has a much better ADC than the MD deck, afterall. You guys were right.....I must have been doing something wrong...

Anyway, are you sure I couldn't get a recording as good by going into a PRO CD-R deck, burning the CD, editing the CD on the Mac, then burning a new CD..?? If not, I guess I'll just always need to deal w/ the clutter.

How is burning a CD and running it through sneakernet easier than just plugging your vinyl into the MOTU and recording? If you're not playing back high res, forget all the 24/96 hassle and use MD or regular CDRs.

Feb 2, 2004 at 3:55 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by davei
How is burning a CD and running it through sneakernet easier than just plugging your vinyl into the MOTU and recording? If you're not playing back high res, forget all the 24/96 hassle and use MD or regular CDRs.

It's not easier....I just want to keep all of my stereo components w/ the hi-fi in one room, and the computer in another...I would really like to cut down on the clutter.

The MAIN reason I started to lean toward CD-R's is compatibility...a lot of people want to borrow from my library, and if I have a lot of it on MD, it's time consuming to make a CD-R copy for them (not to mention the fact that they lose resolution that way)....but, this shouldn't be about accomodating other people, it should be about how *I* enjoy listening and recording, and---for me---MiniDisc is the most convenient and enjoyable way to record.

I need to make up my mind, already!!!

Feb 2, 2004 at 4:02 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. X
It's not easier....I just want to keep all of my stereo components w/ the hi-fi in one room, and the computer in another...I would really like to cut down on the clutter.

The MAIN reason I started to lean toward CD-R's is compatibility...a lot of people want to borrow from my library, and if I have a lot of it on MD, it's time consuming to make a CD-R copy for them (not to mention the fact that they lose resolution that way)....but, this shouldn't be about accomodating other people, it should be about how *I* enjoy listening and recording, and---for me---MiniDisc is the most convenient and enjoyable way to record.

I need to make up my mind, already!!!

Well, I think you answered your own question
smily_headphones1.gif
Do you transfer LPs all the time? Personally, I'd rather have occasional moments of clutter than buy a whole other component and put up with sneakernet. If you're going to burn CDRs anyway, a separate burner makes a bit of sense - but then you're stuck using those expensive "audio only" CDRs.

After getting back scratched/damaged material back, I don't let anyone borrow anything from my library anymore. I'm happy to make copies, but I let the person know beforehand that it's at my leisure, and they have to provide the media and make it as simple as possible for me (which means more often than not, if they want a copy of an LP, they're getting a tape.)

Feb 2, 2004 at 4:19 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by davei
Well, I think you answered your own question
smily_headphones1.gif
Do you transfer LPs all the time? Personally, I'd rather have occasional moments of clutter than buy a whole other component and put up with sneakernet. If you're going to burn CDRs anyway, a separate burner makes a bit of sense - but then you're stuck using those expensive "audio only" CDRs.

After getting back scratched/damaged material back, I don't let anyone borrow anything from my library anymore. I'm happy to make copies, but I let the person know beforehand that it's at my leisure, and they have to provide the media and make it as simple as possible for me (which means more often than not, if they want a copy of an LP, they're getting a tape.)

Yes, I transfer a LOT of vinyl.

There are Sony & Tascam CD-R decks that accept any media (including the data CD-R's)...if I did this, I could sell my MOTU (and---from what I've noticed on Ebay---I could make some decent change).....but, as you pointed out, it's a hassle to burn a CD-R, rip the CD-R, restore, edit, and burn the CD-R....urgh..

Your library has a great policy! I may just adopt those rules myself and just continue to record the way I want. If they don't like it, they can go out and buy the proper equipment to make their own recordings!

Feb 2, 2004 at 7:06 AM Post #13 of 15
i would keep the MOTU and dump everything else if i were you.

first of all, the MOTU is a great piece. i personally own a 896, which is their higher end firewire model... and the thing works great. in fact, as far as i know, it's Pro Tools' closest competitor. anyway.... MOTU's are awesome.

secondly, you need the computer for mastering, as it replaces thousands!!! of dollars of mastering gear. really. you can do so much with it. we're talking EQ, compression, spectrum analysis, noise reduction, click removal... all that. you can't live without a computer if you want to master.

so, dump all the mini stuff if all you use it for is for the ADC. burn the CD-R's from the computer. it'll be much easier for you, and you'll like the results if done right. if you need advice, just ask.

Feb 2, 2004 at 10:48 PM Post #14 of 15
I agree - The MOTU is awesome. However, in order to properly record and master a CD, it can take hours to get it done right. Even then, restoration tools can take a lot away from the original vinyl copy. There are times when it sounds excellent, and there are times when the manipulation makes it sound awful.

I think I'll go w/ the pro MD Deck for recording. MOTU's great, but the whole process is too time consuming. I'd rather spend that time listening to the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back