24 bit rock downloads- which ones you got?
Oct 5, 2012 at 10:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jvandyk

100+ Head-Fier
I'm diving into HD tracks more lately. The selection is pretty good now. I would say the quality has ranged from so/so to amazing depending on the title. I also own alot of 16 bit MFSL versions of some of these..so a good comparison. More recently, I have purchased-

Tom Petty- Damn The Torpedoes (Amazing and get the extra tracks...an entire extra album!)
Wings- Band on the Run (disappointing sound quality after all the hype)
Madonna- True Blue (don't laugh, an audiophile show off record for sure)
Yes- Fragile (just bought it..)
Frampton Comes Alive (WAY better than the anniversary reg CD release)
Plant/Krauss- (muddy sounding...not a big fan)
Steely Dan- Gaucho (I am a Steely nut. This is not much better sounding than my 16 bit version to be honest)

What do you guys have for 24 bit and can recommend?

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #2 of 11
You're listening to light-weights like Madonna, Yes, and Frampton? 
confused.gif

Proceed directly to Tom Waits - Bad As Me, also available on HD tracks. I have no idea if the sound quality is better, but at least it's a good record.

Oct 5, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #3 of 11
Dude, I like Waits just fine. Yes is are not lightweights. BTW, try out Holly Cole Temptation for a much better singer singing Waits!

Oct 5, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #4 of 11
PS- Thanks for the reco on the Waits album!

Oct 5, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #5 of 11
So you think there are good albums by Yes? Ha ha!

Oct 5, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #6 of 11
Rush, Creedance, CSN 2012 and Tommy would be my picks from HD Tracks. Oh, any of the Stones stuff.

The CSN album is live and great. 2.5 hours of music, too.

Oct 5, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #7 of 11
Depending on your definition of rock, you might add the following to those already mentioned:

Traffic, John Barleycorn Must Die
Deep Purple, Concerto for Group and Orchestra
Cat Stevens, Tea for the Tillerman
Kiss, Destroyer Resurrected
Megadeth, Peace Sells
Wilco, The Whole Love
Storm Corrosion, S/T
Gregg Allman, Low Country Blues
Steven Wilson, Grace For Drowning

Oct 5, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
Oh, any of the Stones stuff.

Yes, indeed. Beggars Banquet! 
biggrin.gif

Ears bleeding:

Oct 5, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
Rush, Creedance, CSN 2012 and Tommy would be my picks from HD Tracks. Oh, any of the Stones stuff.

The CSN album is live and great. 2.5 hours of music, too.

Tommy sounds like a good recommendation. Didn't realize there was any Who on there yet. Not a big Rush fan but I am coming around a bit lately. For $18 at their site, it has to be bonfide better sounding than the reg CD..looking for that feedback.

Thanks!

Oct 5, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #11 of 11
Tommy would be a good pick. While I don't have a CD to compare to the SACD sounds great. So it has some high res pedigree already.

Quote:
Tommy sounds like a good recommendation. Didn't realize there was any Who on there yet. Not a big Rush fan but I am coming around a bit lately. For $18 at their site, it has to be bonfide better sounding than the reg CD..looking for that feedback.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back