24 bit CD played on mediocre equipment...
May 24, 2003 at 2:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

brent_mr2

100+ Head-Fier
I'm going to be getting Yanni Live at the Acropolis on a 24 bit mastered CD. My equipment, both portable and home is rather mediocre (see profile). Am I going to notice much of a difference in sound quality with this 24 bit CD?

TIA

May 24, 2003 at 5:10 AM Post #3 of 11
My brother is a nut case for 24-bit remastered disks. Until VERY recently, he was listening to everything he owned with a $100 boom box.

Short answer is yes, but better equipment will have a greater impact IMHO.

May 24, 2003 at 6:29 AM Post #5 of 11
Technically, there is no such thing as a 24-bit CD. So it will still sound like a CD. A really good fidelity CD, maybe, but it's still no better than the best a CD can be.

May 24, 2003 at 1:06 PM Post #6 of 11
At the risk of acknowledging (and thus giving credit to) a silly point: yes, it is true, that a CD mastered with 24-bit mastering equipment will in fact produce a CD, and not an SACD or DVD-A. Satisfied?

Given the format limitations, however, remastering with better equipment (and one assumes, better mixing and production) has GENERALLY made for a CD which sounds better than it's previous generation. Said better sounding CD will sound better on lesser equipment, but the difference will be more pronounced in better equipment.

May 24, 2003 at 7:00 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by elrod-tom
At the risk of acknowledging (and thus giving credit to) a silly point: yes, it is true, that a CD mastered with 24-bit mastering equipment will in fact produce a CD, and not an SACD or DVD-A. Satisfied?

Given the format limitations, however, remastering with better equipment (and one assumes, better mixing and production) has GENERALLY made for a CD which sounds better than it's previous generation. Said better sounding CD will sound better on lesser equipment, but the difference will be more pronounced in better equipment.

i think it's more the engineer/producer who does the remastering, rather than the equipment. i've heard some horrible remasters in my days, and i have a tough time believing that it's the equipment that make it sound like digital crap.

May 24, 2003 at 7:43 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
i think it's more the engineer/producer who does the remastering, rather than the equipment. i've heard some horrible remasters in my days, and i have a tough time believing that it's the equipment that make it sound like digital crap.

Of course...but you might want to re-read my post, and pay special attention to the part that says "and, one assumes, better mixing and production".

Regardless, better equipment is needed to do 24-bit mastering...regardless of whether the mixing and production are changed.

Are we done making silly points yet.
rolleyes.gif

May 25, 2003 at 6:29 AM Post #9 of 11
Now now, no need to get snide. You're the one that called your brother a nutcase.

And I don't think my point was silly, neither. The original poster asked if they were going to be able to tell the difference, and I answered from the perspective of "you don't need special equipment".

May 25, 2003 at 6:58 AM Post #10 of 11
elrod-tom: I don't think grinch's remark was pointless at all. Of course, you might assume better mixing/production et cetera, but you're definitely not guaranteed to get it. Actually, with remasters you're not even guaranteed to get the original music - just compare the original Alan Parsons Project "Tales of mystery..." with the remastered version, and you'll know, that it's better not to assume anything with remasters...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

May 25, 2003 at 12:14 PM Post #11 of 11
OK...I didn't mean to get so snippy. That said, it gets a bit annoying when one makes a GENERAL statement, only to be overrun by exceptions to the rule.

tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back