24-bit audio a con, according to Gizmodo
Aug 6, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #181 of 210
Quote:
A great example is "Firth of Fifth" by Genesis.  I have an Apple Lossless version and one that's 88.2K.

I guess the former is not a downsampled version of the latter, but a different master ?

Aug 6, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #182 of 210
Quote:

I've been doing just that and noticing discernible differences between a few of my 16/44 and 24/96 songs with my SR-507.  Any of my other headphones I would say it's much harder to hear a noticeable change but with the Stax it can be easy to figure our which track is which.

A great example is "Firth of Fifth" by Genesis.  I have an Apple Lossless version and one that's 88.2K.  The difference between the two is immediate and easy to hear.  I know it's probably not the case for every hi-rez vs. redbook file but there are plenty of tracks where the different is substantial.  

Stax might just be resolving enough t get the job done. Did you get a second person to blindfold you and switch the tracks? Or did you use an app or?

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #185 of 210
Again, if the CD quality version was not created by converting the "high resolution" file, then it is not surprising that there is an audible difference, as they are likely to be different masters.

Aug 6, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #186 of 210
Quote:
Again, if the CD quality version was not created by converting the "high resolution" file, then it is not surprising that there is an audible difference, as they are likely to be different masters.

That's a good point. For a true blind test, one should convert the high resolution file to flac, or even 320kbps then do the test.

Oct 2, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #187 of 210
I was thinking about downloading some albums on HD Tracks that I already have the CD on Apple Lossless.  I've seen some very interesting points and numbers through the threads, but I want to know if I'll hear a difference if I buy some HD Tracks albums.  I did download the Sampler, and it sounded a lot better on my headphone system.

Oct 4, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #189 of 210
In terms of pure delivery formats, I agree that 24 bit doesn't provide much tangible advantage for consumers. However, for an app like ours, having 24 bit files would be a good deal better for our DSP processing — less concern with dynamic range, dither noise, etc.

If anything is going to be done to the audio stream — even if just a simple EQ — 24 bit helps.

Oct 4, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #190 of 210
Sure, but you're probably doing DSP with at least 32 bit floating point anyway I guess, and you can quantize the result to 24 bits with or without dither (not going to matter).

There's usually noise on the tracks above the perceived dithered 16-bit noise floor too, so yeah 24 is not gonna make a difference there. Also, any EQ boost will boost noise and (the usually much stronger) signal equivalently. Can't hear the noise before EQing there's a good chance you won't afterwards.

Oct 5, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #191 of 210
This reminds me of why I shoot and process photos in 48-bit colour, when it will be viewed, likely, on a screen that can only reproduce 24-bit colour.  (Okay, nitpickers, my DSLR sensor can only output 36 bits, and the other 12 bits are just padding, but you get the picture. I made a pun! yay!) Also, the typical human eye can't see much finer than 24-bit colour, so why do I go to the trouble? It gives you more freedom to manipulate the file. 

Annnyyywayy... 
1: Gizmodo really should get out of hi-fi writing (as should CNN- they just had a series of wretched op-eds about hifi stuff). This just isn't their area of expertise.
2: They do have a point- 24-bit files are most of the time going to be a gimmick for the studios to make more money, as 95% of the systems the files will be played on won't be able to reproduce the difference. 
3: Their article is written to the more average person, and we are looking at this from a different perspective. There's no need to get too angry, as we aren't their target audience. 
3.5: So, basically, what I mean is that the article wasn't written with the serious audiophile in mind.

Analogy:

Doctors cringe when visiting WebMD. 

Oct 5, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #194 of 210
An amp with analog inputs doesn't care about bits, all it cares for is the analog signal.

16/24 bits refer to the size of samples in digital audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back