24/96 recordings on 48kHz DAC?
Nov 17, 2010 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

SillyHoney

500+ Head-Fier
I'm just wondering if 24/96kHz recordings benefit from 48kHz DAC :D

Anyone bother shed some lights?

Thanks!

Nov 18, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #4 of 8
Thank guys for your input but I'm not asking about my DacMagic. I guess I worded it bad so here we go again:

Theoretically 24/96 music should sound better than lower sample rate and sample size music, all else equal, is that right?

So if that's correct then with the same 96kHz music, does 96kHz capable DAC sound better than 48kHz capable DAC technically, all other else equal?

Or 96kHz music has no good on DAC that only capable of feeding 48kHz signal? In other words, people who do not have 96kHz DAC should not bother with ripping their CDs to 96kHz files?

I'm just talking technically, not whether or not listener could tell the difference.

Nov 18, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
Thank guys for your input but I'm not asking about my DacMagic. I guess I worded it bad so here we go again:

Theoretically 24/96 music should sound better than lower sample rate and sample size music, all else equal, is that right?

So if that's correct then with the same 96kHz music, does 96kHz capable DAC sound better than 48kHz capable DAC technically, all other else equal?

Or 96kHz music has no good on DAC that only capable of feeding 48kHz signal? In other words, people who do not have 96kHz DAC should not bother with ripping their CDs to 96kHz files?

I'm just talking technically, not whether or not listener could tell the difference.

Theoretically yes 96khz music should sound better than 44khz. I'm confused. You say you're speaking technically, not whether a difference could be heard. But then you ask if a 96khz capable dac sounds better than a 48khz capable dac with a 96khz signal. IMO any time you ask if something sounds better, you are asking for a subjective opinion.

Nov 18, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #6 of 8
Usually when someone make a HiRez recording, they take a little more care than someone making a 16/44.  So even when down sampled to work in a lower resolution DAC, it should/may still sound better than a 16/44 native recording.

Nov 19, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #7 of 8
"In other words, people who do not have 96kHz DAC should not bother with ripping their CDs to 96kHz files?"

There is no point in ripping a CD to anything other than 44kHz because that's what the source provides.

Nov 19, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #8 of 8
Yup.  There are DACs that upsample the cds data, but that occures in the DAC, not durning the ripping process.  The only data you can pull off a cd is 16/44.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back