24/96 on ipod
Jan 12, 2013 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

autumnehiver

New Head-Fier
hello, am a new member.

there's so much conflicting information on whether rockboxed ipod can do 24/96, particularly with an external DAC (which is what i want to do). i have a yamaha cds300 player, with a very nice and warm DAC, and a usb slot for connecting an ipod (only certain models) and using the cdp's DAC. however, the cdp doesn't support any of the newer ipods that can be used with a couple of FLAC apps available (and i rather avoid itunes, anyway). so the older rockboxed ones seem to be the only option. however, will i be able to play 24/96 FLAC on any rockboxed ipod (have seen at least one classic 60gb for sale on ebay that claims to be stable with RB) without any downsampling or other problems? 24/96 seem to be difficult on ipods, or am i wrong?

thanks so much,

yoni (autumnehiver)

Jan 13, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:
hello, am a new member.

there's so much conflicting information on whether rockboxed ipod can do 24/96, particularly with an external DAC (which is what i want to do). i have a yamaha cds300 player, with a very nice and warm DAC, and a usb slot for connecting an ipod (only certain models) and using the cdp's DAC. however, the cdp doesn't support any of the newer ipods that can be used with a couple of FLAC apps available (and i rather avoid itunes, anyway). so the older rockboxed ones seem to be the only option. however, will i be able to play 24/96 FLAC on any rockboxed ipod (have seen at least one classic 60gb for sale on ebay that claims to be stable with RB) without any downsampling or other problems? 24/96 seem to be difficult on ipods, or am i wrong?

thanks so much,

yoni (autumnehiver)

If you Rockbox an ipod, it won't work with the external DACs.
Rockboxed iPods will play 24/96, but downsample it in order to play it.

Jan 13, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #5 of 13
There are NO iPods at the moment that will play 24/96... the hardware does not support it, it's all down sampled to 16/44.1
The current Classic's can decode 24/48 but still down sample to 16/44.1 to play.

There is talk on here about the iPad 2 playing 24/96 through the Camera Connection Kit but the songs have to be encoded as AIFF and manually transfered to the iPad, iTunes will not sync the files...

What you'll have to do is use WMA or WAV files through the USB port from a memory stick.
24/96 WMA's or 24/192 WAV's
beerchug.gif

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #6 of 13
this is very helpful, thank you. the thing is that i'd also gladly do 16/44.1 if those were flacs.
but according to yamaha's manual the only supported ipods are way too old than anything the new flac apps are built for.
i WISH the usb would read wav files (it doesn't, no matter what bitrate) and wma it only supports up to 320kbps, lossy.
it's just ironic to have this sweet DAC in my cdp and only use it with lossy files. i guess i'll have to borrow some newer ipods and see if the usb will read them, despite the manual. the played was manufactured in feb 2012, so it really should support something newer than "ipod nano 2nd, 3rd, 4th gen" and the like...

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #8 of 13
ALAC and FLAC are the same both lossless files.

That's really too bad about the USB port not reading WAV's
If you converted your FLAC's to ALAC's you should be able to put the files on whichever iPod you choose with iTunes and be good to go. (16/44.1)

I was running all my files as ALAC for my Rockboxed Clip+ & nano's but now with the Colorfly C3 as my player I have to convert it all back to FLAC again...

Good Luck!

Jan 23, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #10 of 13
With a certified extrernal DAC that will bypass the iPods internal DAC any bit rate should not be a problem.

What you should probably look into is the i-20 by Pure dock, it will allow you to play 24/192 files from a compatible iDevice out to your amplifier. (RCA Optical / Coax) Video To...

http://www.pure.com/us/product/i-20-vl-61429/

For $99 I think it would be the solution that would save you the most hassle...

Check it out, there was a discussion here a while back about it.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/529956/pure-i-20-ipod-iphone-dock-as-a-dac

beerchug.gif

Jan 23, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #11 of 13
my yamaha cds-300 cd player functions as an external dac (through usb cable) bypassing ipod's DAC. it has a nice and warm burr brown. are you saying
that i will be getting real 24/96 and more, not just 24/48? 

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #12 of 13
New iPod's Classic & Nano can decode 24/48 ALAC / WAV files which you can sync to the device from iTunes. Out of the iPod's DAC it still plays them at 16/44.1 to headphones.
Connecting the iPod to an approved external DAC that bypasses the iPod's on board DAC should allow you to play higher resolution files 24/96 for example.
Unfortunately you have no way of getting the files on the iPod, iTunes will not sync the 24/96 files to an iPod and the iPod itself will not decode them.

You can load up the iPod with FLAC's and us a FLAC Player but i highly doubt it will work when you Dock with the Yamaha, do you control the iPod from the Yamaha's remote?
In my car deck the iPod goes inside and I control everything from the head unit of the deck. When the iPod is docked with my car unit the controls on the iPod are disabled.
If the Yamaha supports the files then they should play fine, otherwise no you'll have to use 16/44.1 ALAC / WAV files on the older iPod or 24/48 files on the new units.

Sorry I can't give you a more definitive answer but I am not familiar with the Yamaha CDS-300 and I don't have any iPod's that will do 24/48 or play FLAC's.
beerchug.gif

Jan 24, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #13 of 13
this is actually quite an old ipod, 3rd gen touch. i'm able to load the ipod with flacs using the capriccio app. it works from within itunes, but has its own 
mechanism, kind of drag and drop, so itunes doesn't process/sync anything. i then hook up the ipod to yamaha cds300 and it plays 16/44.1 flacs easily.
i also am able to control (just the basics) the ipod from yamaha. however, when i tried a 24/96 flac it was a bit choppy for few seconds, but then sounded ok.
so wdoes that mean that there's no downsampling anywhere in the chain of command :) ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back