24/96 NOS DAC
Mar 6, 2009 at 1:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Zorlac

500+ Head-Fier
Does a NOS DAC supporting up to 24bit/96kHz sources exist?

I have decided that I definitely want NOS for my next DAC, but I would like it to support standard and high res sources natively NOS style (no upsampling and no oversampling).

Thx!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorlac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does a NOS DAC supporting up to 24bit/96kHz sources exist?

I have decided that I definitely want NOS for my next DAC, but I would like it to support standard and high res sources natively NOS style (no upsampling and no over sampling).

Thx!
smily_headphones1.gif

I have an Audio Note 1-1x signature, which I've had for several years. It is NOS and 24/96. I think all Audio Note Dacs are. There are several others as well that I have come across. Try a google search with " 24/96 NOS Dacs" and you'll find a lot of information.

Mar 6, 2009 at 10:25 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DA100 Signature, you get to choose, Non, 96, or 192.
smile.gif

DA100 isnt NOS. It is oversampling through and through, only upsampling is toggleable.

Mar 6, 2009 at 10:30 AM Post #6 of 11
Bypass, 96 kHz, 192 kHz

www.hifi500.com

Late last year, Wadia Digital, an authority on high-end digital audio, was frustrated with the audio community’s misunderstanding of the finer points of digital signal processing. ‘Recently’, it stated in a paper for distribution among its dealers, ‘some manufacturers have claimed there that there are large sonic gains to be had by processing CD signals by using sample-rate converters to "up-sample" them to 96kHz or 192kHz sample rates before converting them to analog [sic]. There have been statements made that imply that there is some fundamental advantage to this approach compared with existing CD decoding methods that use over-sampled interpolation filters.

http://www.aslgroup.com/dcs/upandover.htm

Mar 6, 2009 at 10:32 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bypass, 96 kHz, 192 kHz

www.hifi500.com

Yes, and that refers to upsamling. Upsampling and Oversampling are two different things. OP wanted non-oversampling, NOS, that supports 24/96. DA100 isnt such as it is OS dac with toggleable upsampling.

Mar 6, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #8 of 11
IC, I misread the first post anyway. He wants highres stuff to feed into a NOS. Must be my first day with the new brain.
smile.gif

Advanced Multi-Bit 192kHz 24-Bit DAC AK4395
28-pin VSOP
(5.6 9.8 1.2 mm)
128x Oversampling <-----
Sampling Rate up to 192kHz
High Performance 24Bit 8x Digital Filter (Slow Roll-off Option)
Ripple: ±0.0002dB, Attenuation: 110dB
High Tolerance to Clock Jitter
Low Distortion Differential Output
Digital de-emphasis for 32, 44.1 & 48kHz sampling
Channel Independent Digital Volume with Soft-transition
Soft Mute
THD+N: -100dB
DR, S/N: 120dB
I/F format: MSB justified, 16/20/24bit LSB justified, I2S
Master Clock : Normal Speed: 256fs, 384fs, 512fs or 768fs
Double Speed: 128fs, 192fs, 256fs or 384fs
Quad Speed : 128fs ro 192fs
Power Supply: 5V±5%
TTL Level Digital I/F
Small Package: 28-pin VSOP
Pin Compatible with AK4393/4
Evaluation Board: AKD4395

Mar 6, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #9 of 11
It is too bad that some of these DACs do not have the option to toggle off oversampling kind of like you can toggle upsampling on some. At least it would give the listener a choice as some like these features and it would also be a good way to hear the difference as a sort of A/B test.

The more I read about NOS DACs, the more I am starting to understand that they are sort of an old school revival type of technology (i.e. like using tubes). The builders of these DACs are using legacy DAC chips because NOS use to be common when digital audio was still relatively new. Seems like most all modern DAC chips either upsample or oversample now. That being said, since high res audio didnt really exist when digital audio was new, those DAC chips only supported 16bit word lengths...hence the reason why I cannot seem to find NOS DACs supporting 24/96 or 24/192, etc.

Of course I may be misunderstanding too...

Mar 6, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

The more I read about NOS DACs, the more I am starting to understand that they are sort of an old school revival type of technology (i.e. like using tubes). The builders of these DACs are using legacy DAC chips because NOS use to be common when digital audio was still relatively new. Seems like most all modern DAC chips either upsample or oversample now. That being said, since high res audio didnt really exist when digital audio was new, those DAC chips only supported 16bit word lengths...hence the reason why I cannot seem to find NOS DACs supporting 24/96 or 24/192, etc.

Well, there is also more into that. NOS dacs, while they have their appeal, also have a clear flaw which resulted in the developement of the oversampling technology at the time. Also, I believe toggleable oversampling is not possible as they are two completely different techs to develop DAC. (other than having two completely different circuits inside the box that is)

Mar 6, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #11 of 11
I'm using a CAL Sigma II that supports 24/96 and is NOS. It's 15 yrs old and can be had for about $250-300 on audiogon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back