24/7 COmputer help and Anti-virus too good to be true?
Oct 15, 2009 at 2:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

suzthecool21

New Head-Fier
So I'm wondering if anyone knows of any anti-virus software that comes with 24/7 computer help (some offer 24/7 technical support – but Cyberdefender is offering Computer Help for any kind of computer problem)? Do any others?

I've tried some other free anti-virus programs, and they all seem to slow my system down. The IT guy at work told me about CYberdfender, so I was curious and got the free version first, which like some other programs is a little confusing about what is free and what it does. I tried it, even though I wasn't sure about the whole free deal, but I liked 1) how fast it was, 2) the clear User Interface. 3) I like that it deals with viruses, trojans and spywares – all in one program, plus (4) it comes with 24/7 computer help and 5) they are a public company; they need to be a legit company to be traded on the NASDAQ. I didn’t like that the free version only scanned and removed trojans and spyware, but you had to buy the upgrade to remove viruses. The free one only scans for viruses - but I guess they got to make money too, right? Of course it had some pop ups reminding you to buy the upgrade, which was a little annoying, but I get it - I'm getting to use their trial verson for free.

So, so far this is my experience with Cyberdefender. Has anyone else had experience with it. I find their offer of 24/7 computer help something that is unique, not so much for me but for my son who can get computer help if I am away on a business trip. Sounds good to me!!!

Oct 15, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #2 of 6
If they're offering their services for free, you might want to ask yourself where their income comes from. No company gives away a "free" product without expecting something in return. You should find out what the catch is.

As for antivirus and support, I haven't had a virus issue since 1990 when a few nasties for System 6 circulated. Since, I've had zero issues running OS X or Linux. On the rare occasions something comes up (usually when installing new hardware or software), I visit a few message boards like this one for help.

Oct 15, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #4 of 6
If you have a good anti-virus and an internet connection, you really don't need tech support. I use NOD32 and my niece uses Avast (free) and all has been well so far. These programs generally catch threats before they can wreak havoc on your system.

Oct 15, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #5 of 6
AntiVirus + Firewall + FireFox (w/ NoScript & AdBlock) and you should be fine.

I personally use Avast & Comodo, but you can use whatever you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back