$230 for an amp...
Nov 17, 2003 at 8:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

CrawlingEye

100+ Head-Fier
What do you guys think I could do with $230 as far as an amp?
I've never owned a headphone amp, so I'd like some suggestions from some of you who are (obviously) more knowledgable in this area than I am.

I'm (likely) going to get the HFI 650's and have heard that they *really* open up when paired with a good amp.

Ideally, I'd rather have one built or buy a prebuilt. I'm not sure who I'd talk to in regards to having one built, if I would take this route.

Now, onto the ideal sound:
I'd like an amp that's quite neutral (reference quality or near reference) and analitical. Crossfeed is optional.

I don't quite understand some aspects of headphone amps. Being a bassist, typically most people consider the less 'junk' in your signal path, the better (truer) the sound. I gather that this is not quite the case with headphones, as it seems the better headphone amps consist of more components.

If possible, I'd like it to be capable of going portable and using a wall-wart, as a Rio Karma is on my short list of 'things to buy.'

Thanks a lot.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2003 at 8:55 AM Post #2 of 14
I would say that with headphone amps less is usually more, and less complicated circuitry is a good thing. Unfortunately your budget won't get you into the reference or near reference quality level. It will buy you some very good sound though! I haven't heard the HFI 650s, but generally speaking, I think your best bet at that price level is probably the Meta 42 or the HeadRoom little. Both have a lot of threads about them, just do a search. Good luck in your search!

Nov 17, 2003 at 4:50 PM Post #6 of 14
I noticed there was a maxed Meta42 for sale used in the For Sale forum for 200. I am not in any way connected with the sale, I just saw it and it caught my eye.

Nov 18, 2003 at 1:09 AM Post #10 of 14
I apologize for not emphasizing my price-lines well enough.

I'm trying to pick out (early) Christmas presents to put on my list.
I'm assuming I'll have around $400 to spend. I've got the HFI 650 Trackmasters marked at $165 on Meier and I'm assuming it'll be around $5-$20 for shipping. This'll allow me a maximum of $230 to spend on an amp (aside from shipping).

Used would be nice, but I doubt many offers that are available now will still be available when I'm prepared to purchase.

I like the little, it seems easily upgradeable. As does the Headsave's based on the Pimetas. The quick transient response comments I've read, seem to point more toward the Little. Ideally, I'd like something with a good soundstage and quick transient response. It seems the Little would be best suited for this, as it does come with natural crossfeed.

Any comments?
The Little is about $10 above my budget and isn't portable, which is the real lackluster of it. The Porta Corda looks nice but I haven't heard any real comparisons between it and the Little or the Headsave Elite SL. The one thing that kind of makes me second guess the Porta Corda is the fact that it's not upgradeable, at least to my knowledge, basing off of what I've read.

If I'd be better off just using the Trackmasters without an amp when going portable, I'd have no problem with that, as they do have only a 75 Ohm impendence. (simply getting an amp that would be reserved for home use would be ok.)

I'm a dreamer though, so ideally something that can use a wall-wart and is capable of being battery driven would be my amp-to-buy.

Thanks everyone for all the great replies. The replies I've gotten here and the threads I've read through have been very informative.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 18, 2003 at 1:11 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Iron_Dreamer
Too late, I think that one's gonna be mine
evil_smiley.gif

Cool, the Gilmore's are nice amps! Enjoy!

Nov 18, 2003 at 1:14 AM Post #13 of 14
Just so you know, the prices on Jan Meier's site include all shipping costs. So it's $165 shipped for the Ultrasone HFI-650.

Nov 18, 2003 at 1:15 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Rizumu
Just so you know, the prices on Jan Meier's site include all shipping costs. So it's $165 shipped for the Ultrasone HFI-650.

Very nice. Thanks for the bit of info. I wasn't aware of this.
smily_headphones1.gif

I suppose the saved money may help me fund a decent interconnect.

Again, thanks for all the help supplied.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back