225's comfort issue >> shures or ety's?
Oct 23, 2004 at 8:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Mav451

Head-Fier
While my previous threads relate to sound/bass, that has all been taken care of with the flats.

However, a much more important issue has risen: comfort. The flats are incredibly umcomfortable, especially with my glasses. If I take them off, it is alleviated slightly. Bowls w/o glasses isn't too bad, but then I don't have the bass of the flats, and um, I'm slightly blind haha.

Another thing is that my doctor, over the past year, diagnosed my migraine/headaches to stem from a stretched neck muscle. Guess what? Wearing the Grado's places a certain strain on the neck muscles by their direct pressure + headband (that provides little support).

The V6's, which are circum-aural (sp?), which i take "cover around the ear", don't cause this pain as much, but the fact is, those aren't comfortable either.

My question is can I get something even marginally close to the 225 sound with e3c's or the price-equivalent Ety's?

My brother has the e3c's, which I are pretty comfortable in the neck/head concern (b/c they only rely on a lil wire).

Oct 23, 2004 at 12:30 PM Post #2 of 6
First off, as far as the Grados go, have you tried bending the headband outwards so it doesn't clamp as much. Stretch it basically. Now if the main problem is the weight of the headphones not sure what you can do.

As far as getting sound like the Grado. I have listened to the Ety ER4P and Shure E3c side by side. The Shure has heavy emphasis in mids. I was dissoppointed with them. The Ety is very detailed even more than my Grado SR80s. The base is tight but with no impact. Overall it has greater emphasis on highs. Not as smooth as my Grados.

I enjoy the overall sound of the Ety but it is very different from the Grado. If I'm listening to vocal Jazz, I prefer the Ety. For Rock, I prefer the Grado.

I cannot describe the sound of either as being close to Grado. But the Etys definatly sound closer to the Grado sound then the Shures. The Ety has better detail and musical range than the Shure.

I would suggest listening to both side by side. That will cost you less than $15 shipping (total both ways) to return the one you don't like. If your not willing to do a side by side, buy the Ety.

The unfair part of my comparison was the price point. The Shures were $130 and the Etys were $200. The Ety ER6i is more at the Shure price point. But I beleive my overall evaluation would be much the same with the ER6i.

Jim

Oct 23, 2004 at 4:05 PM Post #3 of 6
Its not the clampiness, b/c I stretched the headband out quite a bit. I dunno, maybe its the Cg (center of gravity) or something that is making me umcomfortable, but the way it feels is not clampy anymore.

Oct 23, 2004 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 6
even if it doesnt feel clampy at first, the skin under the temples of your glasses will tell you eventually if there is pressure or not. my flats rest comfortably on my ears with flats, even tho i wear glasses. you have to bend that headband back just a tad more it sounds like.

Oct 23, 2004 at 5:12 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mav451
My question is can I get something even marginally close to the 225 sound with e3c's or the price-equivalent Ety's?

I regularly use both the SR-225 and the E3C. What I like about the SR-225 is that it is a touch bright (which I dislike in some songs!). I don't see how you can make the E3C bright enough to sound the same as the SR-225 without using an equalizer. Using an amp helps the E3c, but it is still not in the same league as the SR-225 when it comes to enegizing your music.

Oct 23, 2004 at 8:23 PM Post #6 of 6
Yep. Fortunately, my brother has the E3C's, so I'm borrowing them rite now. Going from closed to open, to closed (essentially), I truly can appreciate how good the Grado's sound. But yeah, the E3c's are so different. I guess I'm fortunate my brother rarely uses them, so I can probably test the E3's pretty long as well =D.

Great having family with headphones to play with haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back