225 woody's worth the extra $$?
Sep 19, 2004 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

phkd

100+ Head-Fier
I was wondering if the headphile.com "woody" modification for the grado 225's was worth the extra $265 for paduak or $300 for the bubinga or purple heart, i mean in terms of sound quality. They sure look amazing (I emailed Larry for a full size picture and i have it as my background. If you want to PM me your email address i will send you the picture, or just email him). anyways, does anyone here have opinions on this matter?
thanks in advance
-AJ

Sep 19, 2004 at 10:45 PM Post #5 of 14
I talked to Larry about the 225 woody awhile back. At that time he felt most, if not all of the difference in sound was due to the cable change. The wood itself is pretty much purely cosmetic because it goes over the original chamber. So if your main concern is the sonic change you could probably just do the cable upgrade but I must admit the wood sure does add a nice touch.

Sep 19, 2004 at 11:02 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Why not just save up for an RS-1 or Pro Series Alessandro?

cause i already have the 225's. maybe someday though...

thanks all, especially Mr. radar for that link.

Sep 19, 2004 at 11:14 PM Post #9 of 14
I read the impression that people posted from the Seattle meet, and it seems that the reviews of the modded SR225's were universally glowing. Someone even commented that the mod makes the SR225's sound awfully close to the HP1000's, I believe. I believe the same person even preferred the modded SR225's to RS-1's/MS-pros.

So, the wood chamber is just a sleeve that goes outside the Grado plasitc one, correct? That would mean that there was a huge improvement just from the cable alone, right?

The skeptic in me says that no cable is going to make a $150 headphone sound better than a $700 one...but I am still intrigued, to say the least. Could other users who have modded 225's post some comments about them, specifically comparing them to the stock 225's and other stock Grado/Alessandro phones?

Thanks!

Sep 19, 2004 at 11:51 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuineaMcPig
So, the wood chamber is just a sleeve that goes outside the Grado plasitc one, correct? That would mean that there was a huge improvement just from the cable alone, right?

Not exactly... The Grado plastic housings are separated and inserted into either end of the wood. They are different sizes so the wood has different ID's on either side which each plastic fits tight into. However, the middle channel that separates the two housings was left even smaller ID on purpose. This creates a wood baffle and has some influence on the sound. I just don't know how much, since I haven't done wood with a stock cable (and probably never will). Logically, the smaller mid chamber and reinforcement of the wood surrounding the plastic should have an effect. The marriage of the two is a known quantity, which I leave to others to represent...
Quote:

Originally Posted by phkd
i have it as my background

Funny, my background is also of woody 225's...
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2004 at 12:05 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuineaMcPig
The skeptic in me says that no cable is going to make a $150 headphone sound better than a $700 one...but I am still intrigued, to say the least. ?
Thanks!

"Better" is a subjective thing, but in this hobby often the more you pay ends of being a matter of "splitting hairs" in the degree of difference in sound quality and so I am not surprised at all one could find a cable change to a $200 can (which is the price of the SR-225) sounds better than a $700 one. And when you are talking about the RS-1, I'm even less surprised.

Sep 20, 2004 at 10:50 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanadu777
Not exactly... The Grado plastic housings are separated and inserted into either end of the wood. They are different sizes so the wood has different ID's on either side which each plastic fits tight into. However, the middle channel that separates the two housings was left even smaller ID on purpose. This creates a wood baffle and has some influence on the sound. I just don't know how much, since I haven't done wood with a stock cable (and probably never will). Logically, the smaller mid chamber and reinforcement of the wood surrounding the plastic should have an effect. The marriage of the two is a known quantity, which I leave to others to represent...

Xanadu777, would you also mod Alessandros?

Sep 20, 2004 at 5:37 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
Xanadu777, would you also mod Alessandros?

Assuming they are constructed the same, yes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back