20kHz+ Hypersonic Effect in IEMs?
Dec 28, 2009 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

a_recording

Member of the Trade: Lachlanlikesathing
Hi guys! This is probably going to be an obscure topic and a very long opening post, but I was interested in what you guys would make of this.

I recently bought the Akira Blu-Ray, which among other things comes with a huge booklet with articles explaining how the musical director of the movie, one Tsutomu Oohashi, approached the audio for this new Blu-Ray release - which has a 192kHz sampling rate, 24bit Lossless TrueHD track. Besides being a composer, Oohashi is also a neuroscientist(!), and in his research he claimed to have discovered a phenomenon he called the 'Hypersonic Effect'.

In a nutshell, the Hypersonic Effect is the claim that, although human hearing tops out at around 22kHz for high frequencies, frequencies as high as 100kHz have the psycho-acoustic effect of making the listener respond better to the sound, as well as lead to a measurably increased level of brain activity demonstrated in EEG results. I won't pretend to understand the actual science of it
confused_face(1).gif
, but supposedly Oohashi set up double blind tests to verify this effect. You can read about it here: Hypersonic effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The wiki article has a link to Oohashi's original paper in the references, as well as a refutation of the theory (though because the effect is supposedly subconscious I'm not sure an ABX test to ask listeners to actively identify the better audio is appropriate.)

Ever since reading about this effect, I've been fairly curious about whether it holds any truth at all. Of course, for the effect to be experienced, everything along the chain has to be able to reproduce frequencies over 22kHz. The booklet argues for a new audio standard for equipment rated to have a frequency response up to 100kHz. It's possible to buy super-tweeters for loud speakers, such as the Tannoy ST-50, that reproduce up to 100kHz.

In the portable and IEM world though, I wonder how this theory holds up? To me, IEM's seem like an ideal way to reproduce super high frequency sounds - tiny, extremely sensitive drivers. However, most portables have frequency responses that terminate at 20kHz, even lossless rips from CDs will only have the maximum frequency of 22kHz, and most IEM's are rated at a frequency response of 22kHz. I think that in the case of some manufacturers, like Head-Direct and their RE0's, they may actually not have the resources to even test for frequencies higher than human hearing - again, I won't pretend to know what equipment is necessary, but I'd imagine some combination of a controlled acoustic chamber, hyper sensitive microphones, and who knows what.

To be honest though, I suspect these manufacturer frequency responses are arbitrary - its commonly accepted that you can't hear anything above 20kHz, so manufacturers normally wouldn't be inclined to test for much beyond that, and of course, maybe avoid looking foolish by printing insane frequency responses.

So, at the end of this long post, my question is, do you guys think this holds any water in your experience? For instance, the RE0's are extremely popular here in large part for their extended treble response - could their popularity be in part because their treble goes high enough to induce a positive psycho-acoustic response?
biggrin.gif

Could an IEM driver add high frequency sounds even when they aren't present in the source (either in the file or the player) as a form of 'coloration'? Can you guys think of any other IEMs that might have higher frequency responses - for instance the Sony EX700 is rated for 28kHz. (Though no amount Hypersonic effect actually made me like them when I had them in my possession for a while.)

Should they add a fourth balanced armature to high end IEMs to reproduce frequencies no one can actually hear?
jecklinsmile.gif

Oh the possibilities.

Dec 28, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 27
I'm sure high quality armature drivers can produce >20Khz sound. I don't think you would need an extra driver. However, most music players don't support files with a sampling rate above 48Khz. The absolute highest frequency that could be used would be half that - 24Khz (if I understand this correctly).

They may however produce harmonics. I doubt they would be very strong though.

Dec 29, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by semisight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, most music players don't support files with a sampling rate above 48Khz.

I understand that the Cowon S9 can play 96kHz SACD/Blu-Ray FLAC rips? Or, Rockbox iPods as well? Therefore, maximum 48kHz frequency as I understand...

I'm curious about what you say about harmonics though. I wonder how strong they could be.

Dec 29, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #4 of 27
Well the music would have to be in another audio format completely and recorded using that new technology. DVD-A and SACD are 24bit @ 96,000Hz. The Cowon S9 only plays back 16bit @ 48,000Hz. There is a Logical reason why DVD-A and SACD did not take off like they thought it would.

Dec 29, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Modifiedz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well the music would have to be in another audio format completely and recorded using that new technology. DVD-A and SACD are 24bit @ 96,000Hz. The Cowon S9 only plays back 16bit @ 48,000Hz. There is a Logical reason why DVD-A and SACD did not take off like they thought it would.

This is the other block to getting >20Khz sound. Your files, source, and equipment would all have to be capable of reproducing it. Even if the Cowon can play 96Khz material, it may have all sorts of filters or limitations because the hardware designers didn't anticipate the need for ultrasonics.

As for harmonics, take a square wave. It has a fundamental frequency, but it's also composed of that frequencies' odd harmonics in different proportions. The better the DAC and the faster the headphones, the more perfectly these will appear. However I doubt how strong they are (unless the driver or a part f the device has a resonant frequency around a harmonic or something like that).

Dec 29, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

This is the other block to getting >20Khz sound. Your files, source, and equipment would all have to be capable of reproducing it. Even if the Cowon can play 96Khz material, it may have all sorts of filters or limitations because the hardware designers didn't anticipate the need for ultrasonics.

As for harmonics, take a square wave. It has a fundamental frequency, but it's also composed of that frequencies' odd harmonics in different proportions. The better the DAC and the faster the headphones, the more perfectly these will appear. However I doubt how strong they are (unless the driver or a part f the device has a resonant frequency around a harmonic or something like that).

Thats what has got me curious. I have not seen a single portable player, whether s9, Sony x, or iPod list a frequency response less than 20hz or greater than 20khz. In fact, it's always those two numbers, which makes me suspicious that they don't actually do testing at all. I'm sure ie8 or other bassy iem owners can tell us if those phones get sub 20khz tones from their player beyond manufacturer specifications (I think my pair of audio technica cks70s with their fq.response of 5hz do...) in the same way, couldn't they go above 20khz?

The actual question of 20khz source material is a tricky one. But supposedly the super tweeters I mentioned still make a difference for listeners for cd material. I suppose this is harmonics, or the placebo effect?

Dec 29, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #7 of 27
If it is placebo you wouldn't be able to tell the difference in blind testing. As for the 20-20Khz region, this is widely regarded as being the range of audible sounds. Below 20Hz you don't hear so much as feel. No IEMs will go down to 5Hz. They do test players, but they aren't testing whether the player can produce certain sounds, but relative volumes (frequency response/sound coloration). The headphones are guaranteed to reproduce sound in this range.

Dec 29, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

No IEMs will go down to 5Hz.

Yes they do. Many Shures are flat to at least 10Hz (-3dB).

But you're right that they can't produce enough SPL at that frequency to make it audible to the human ear.

Dec 29, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by chengbin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes they do. Many Shures are flat to at least 10Hz (-3dB).

But you're right that they can't produce enough SPL at that frequency to make it audible to the human ear.

Really? That's impressive. Not that it matters, like you said.

Dec 29, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #10 of 27
Well I have plenty of software on my PC, and when playing a CD or DVD-A there is nothing on the Spectrum or Spectrogram telling me that there is any frequency above 22,000Hz, so how is a tweeter going to produce those high frequencies if there are not any?
For what its worth when I play back a pure tone of 10Hz I can hear it with my IEM's, it sounds like a Helicopter Blade in Slo-Mo-tion. When I play back 5Hz, it is barely audible, but I can hear it and it sounds like 10Hz does but at half the speed.

Dec 29, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #11 of 27
If he actually were a trained neuroscientist, he would know that hearing is a largely mechanical phenomenon. I won't go into details, but suffice it to say that the physical features required to resonate at frequencies higher than 20kHz don't exist in human beings.

Dec 29, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #12 of 27
My rockboxed iPod 5.5g plays 192-24 WAV and 96-24 FLAC.

And when I get an IEM, I test the audible frequency response, and the highest test tone I could hear was 19K from the IE8. Everything else I have tested topped out at 17K or less.

Dec 29, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #14 of 27
As far as portable listening goes there is still much to do in the 20Hz-16kHz before i would worry about real HF stuff.
My own ER4's drop like a stone at 16k on their published response graphs.
I expect by the time [if ever] iems, daps etc do it all perfectly my own ears will have the frequency response of an old telephone
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back