[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
Sep 17, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #7,144 of 7,442
I am looking to recabel my monk plus. I dislike the stock cable. What id prefer is long - at min 1.5 meters preferably 2, thin and not rubber with a straight not angled jack. Im thinging to buy an cheap iem or earbud with these qualites and transfer onto the monk.

Sep 17, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #7,145 of 7,442
Someone can me explain sonic differences between monk plus standard balanced and monk plus espresso edit. Balanced? Only estethical difference?
Thank

Balanced is harder to explain, but the Espresso over the normal Monk is warmer mids with possibly wider soundstage. More bass, but slightly less articulate with that bass. IMHO, it is still a more enjoyable variant with most music. I prefer the SPC Monk to both though.

Sep 17, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #7,146 of 7,442
I am looking to recabel my monk plus. I dislike the stock cable. What id prefer is long - at min 1.5 meters preferably 2, thin and not rubber with a straight not angled jack. Im thinging to buy an cheap iem or earbud with these qualites and transfer onto the monk.

Very easy to re-cable Monk. I would probably join the Earbuds Anonymous group and ask what cable might fit your needs. Going the route of stealing a cable from an IEM may cause more frustration than it is worth. Many of those cables are thin and often have enameled wires which are harder to solder.

Sep 17, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #7,147 of 7,442
Very easy to re-cable Monk. I would probably join the Earbuds Anonymous group and ask what cable might fit your needs. Going the route of stealing a cable from an IEM may cause more frustration than it is worth. Many of those cables are thin and often have enameled wires which are harder to solder.

Since I posted I re-cabled with one I took off an old pair of Sennheiser earbuds which I though were worth sacrificing for the mod. As you said it was very easy to do, took hardly 10 minutes with minimal difficulty. It's still not long enough for me but at least it's thinner, lighter and doesn't do what rubbery cables do so I'm a bit happier for the time being. Still hoping to source a longer cable though. I had no problem with the enamel btw, I didn't even have to burn it off, the soldering iron took care of that.

Sep 17, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #7,148 of 7,442
Since I posted I re-cabled with one I took off an old pair of Sennheiser earbuds which I though were worth sacrificing for the mod. As you said it was very easy to do, took hardly 10 minutes with minimal difficulty. It's still not long enough for me but at least it's thinner, lighter and doesn't do what rubbery cables do so I'm a bit happier for the time being. Still hoping to source a longer cable though. I had no problem with the enamel btw, I didn't even have to burn it off, the soldering iron took care of that.

Excellent! Didn't know you had already done a re-cable. In that case, I'd probably pick up an SPC cable from VE. Get a hand terminated one that you could use the pins for later. The best sounding Monks are the SPC ones, outside of the Makka Monk of course. The cable is also very nice and pliable.
21032303_664839437047166_3893473786538147936_n.jpg 21034224_664839503713826_856705145713767282_n.jpg
I went the other route. Had an SPC Monk that had phase issue. Pulled it apart to fix, but decided to just make myself a balanced cable instead and save the Monks for another cable (or use the MMCX female plugs I ordered from AliExpress 2 days ago).

Sep 17, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #7,149 of 7,442
20170917_181142_HDR.jpg

Well I preformed surgery on my monks again today, this time with a cable from a pair of iem's that came with my LG G4 smartphone. Had totally forgotten I had them. Turns out they are of quite high quality from what I can tell. And I get an android remote which thankfully is nice and light. The cable is fairly long and has a cloth outer covering so no rubber - just what I was looking for. Quite pleased with the result - didn't cost me a penny in the end.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #7,150 of 7,442

Well I preformed surgery on my monks again today, this time with a cable from a pair of iem's that came with my LG G4 smartphone. Had totally forgotten I had them. Turns out they are of quite high quality from what I can tell. And I get an android remote which thankfully is nice and light. The cable is fairly long and has a cloth outer covering so no rubber - just what I was looking for. Quite pleased with the result - didn't cost me a penny in the end.

That's looks great. How did you manage to open up the housing without breaking them?

Sep 18, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #7,151 of 7,442
That's looks great. How did you manage to open up the housing without breaking them?

I should have taken a pic but anyway it's dead easy. All you do is pop off the cap of the earpiece. You can do it with your thumbnail by applying a little force. Basically that's it ! There is really nothing else to explain - it's obviously what to do to then to replace the cable. Just remember to tie a little knot in the cable on the inside before you re-assemble. These are the iem's I used for the cable replacement. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-L...010161?hash=item41cf131b71:g:OHcAAOSw6nNZtWCt

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #7,152 of 7,442
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a 'wing' accessory (or whatever you call those yokes that help the earbuds stay in your ears) that would fit my monks. I bought the plus pack but I've lost most of them somehow and anyway I found them a bit tricky to put on. So, any third party alternative out there worth trying?

Sep 19, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #7,153 of 7,442
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a 'wing' accessory (or whatever you call those yokes that help the earbuds stay in your ears) that would fit my monks. I bought the plus pack but I've lost most of them somehow and anyway I found them a bit tricky to put on. So, any third party alternative out there worth trying?

Surefire's ear locks fit, and I find them more comfortable than what's included in the VE expansion tips, mainly b/c I think I'm allergic to whatever material those are made of.

However the Surefire ones are actually harder to fit than the VE ones, and I think both types will block some of the holes and thus mess with the sound.

Sep 19, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #7,155 of 7,442
Thanks for suggestion guys but while I was away I decided to do another little mod with some wings I realised I had spare that came with my TaoTronics Bluetooth iems. I too found that the stock wings irritated me but these one's are just about perfect. The earbuds are held snugly to my ears giving a better consistent sound and the bass is slightly better too I believe! Result !

wings.mod.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back