[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
Nov 27, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #6,406 of 7,442
I once chatted with a guy who's endgame was Chord Hugo and I believe it was Senn PX100

I'm actually not wondering, PX100-II are some really impressive phones. Everyone should buy them while they still can
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #6,407 of 7,442

I'm actually not wondering, PX100-II are some really impressive phones. Everyone should buy them while they still can
biggrin.gif

They are pretty nice. Bought myself a pair on clearance for 35 CAD and my wife's for 17 CAD. They're a little mid-bassy, but other than that they're excellent. 

Nov 27, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #6,408 of 7,442
You think its not powerful ? You should go to qp1r thread. I tried a lot of daps, only this one made me happy.
Btw you guys think i only have monk to use with my dap ? Lolz

I didn't know your dap before but it doesn't have a powerful amp because of a design choice.
It may sound great but the specs are not outstanding, that's why I was sceptical about its price.

Nov 27, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #6,409 of 7,442
Are people really meaning that it's wrong to use a great source with a cheap pair of earbuds? Of course one uses the best source(s) one got or??

I'm confused......

Nov 27, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #6,410 of 7,442
Quote:
Are people really meaning that it's wrong to use a great source with a cheap pair of earbuds? Of course one uses the best source(s) one got or??

I'm confused......

i guess @Danneq feels totl source should pair with only totl iem/buds which I strongly disagree.
the candy is enjoyable with the qp1r.
there is absolutely no need for totl-only pairing or budget-only pairing.

Nov 27, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #6,411 of 7,442
I didn't know your dap before but it doesn't have a powerful amp because of a design choice.
It may sound great but the specs are not outstanding, that's why I was sceptical about its price.

questyle is famous for their desktop dacs and their creation of it is a genius move.
only 2 daps that are better than the qp1r are ak380 copper and paw gold imo. some think only the ak380 copper wins while it is on par with paw gold.

Nov 27, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #6,412 of 7,442

I've bought fiio x3ii, x5ii, x7, cowon plenue d, opus#1, onkyo dpx1, a combo ak70 and mojo, but those didn't make me wow like qp1r. Even i plug it in to my hyundai veloster turbo, it makes the speaker punchier and tighter bass than before.
Just don't judge it bedore you try it.

Nov 27, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #6,413 of 7,442
  Quote:
i guess @Danneq feels totl source should pair with only totl iem/buds which I strongly disagree.
the candy is enjoyable with the qp1r.
there is absolutely no need for totl-only pairing or budget-only pairing.

Well, I sort of was in my Grinch mood when I wrote that post. Monk+ does scale up wonderfully and often more expensive earbuds do not do that.

I do a similar thing when I sometimes do not feel like setting up the projector and screen at home and instead play a TV-show on Blu ray from my Blu ray player to my 36" CRT TV (34" for you Americans) through component. It's not HD like my projector but looks really nice and is okay for casually watching a TV show. For serious movie watching I go with the projector though...

CRT FTW!

Nov 27, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #6,414 of 7,442

They are pretty nice. Bought myself a pair on clearance for 35 CAD and my wife's for 17 CAD. They're a little mid-bassy, but other than that they're excellent. 

Yeah, bass was quite prominent on stock, but I modded them so bass calmed down a bit and sound balance became nicer, for me ofc. New foams that I made by my self and made less clamp by bending the headband. Those mods made great things and aswell increased comfort.

Nov 28, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #6,416 of 7,442
KZ ATE with Monk+ cable. Much better than the stock ones. Kudos to Lee and KK again. :beerchug:

Nov 28, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #6,417 of 7,442
It's good that you like it, but I'm happy with the standard cables with the little brass weights (especially now the 'stickiness' has gone).

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #6,418 of 7,442
My candy's showed up: the shipping times are very reasonable: less than two weeks each time I've bought mp's. I've only had a chance for a brief listen. The candy's have a little sweeter high end, and are a little more forward. I'll post more impressions later.

I don't see the candy's as a quantum improvement by any means, perhaps offer a bit of a different sound signature is all. 

I've listened to the candy's through a variety of sources:

Fiio X5 headphone out and DAC
Macbook Pro 2015, no amp
MBP with Fiio E6 amp
Bennie S5, no amp

More listening confirms my initial impressions: a definite treble emphasis. Relatively thin low end. Treble is a bit grainy, noticeably so. I wouldn't object if someone were to use the term 'moderately grainy.' The soundstage is forward and relatively narrow. 

I don't like these as much as the standard MP's. The MP's are intriguing because they are so airy and give such a convincing sense of dimensionality. These qualities are lacking in the candy's. 

I do like the build quality of the candy's. The candy's are noticeably heavier, and the cabling seems very durable. Also, they've added a couple of touches since as red cabling for the right channel and solid white lettering for left and right. 

Who knows what's going on. Maybe it's a not so great sample. After all, the cable seems crimped at a right angle right out of the jack. Maybe it's just sample to sample variation. 

If this had been my first impression of the MP's, I would've thought 'meh, just another set of earbuds.' To each his own. I was a bit underwhelmed but most people love 'em. 

Nov 30, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #6,419 of 7,442
i guess some people need to know this, based on my experience with other brand

no mic = works on every device with 3.5mm jack, OMTP and CTIA
one click mic = works only on CTIA device
3button ios = work with all CTIA device, but volume button only work in apple device
3button android = work on every CTIA device, but volume button only work in android

no mic version is the best for me because sometimes i listening music using my old sony ericsson cellphone which still using OMTP and of course more parts = more thing to break later on. but YMMV

if you only need the skip or previous button, you don't actually need to buy the 3 button version.

Can definitely confirm that mic functionality is kept on Monk+ even if you switch iOS or Android phones.

I still have each version for their volume functionality, but as a user of multiple phones, I'm glad I can take 1 pair of Monks & still have mic functionality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back