[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
Jul 14, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #4,833 of 7,442
What would be some great options for a portable audio setup using my phone (Galazy S5)? DJ's post has me almost convinced to buy a pair of the Monks, but I need options. 

Thanks kazekaeru XD I forgot to mention that I wanted a model of a Monk in my portable setup, including the fact that I want to drive headphones as well. 

And audio123 I wish to try a pair of these Monk earbuds (apparently there are differing models?). I was referring to thereof when I said "in-ear." I also left a bit out of the post by accident. Sorry about that. 

The missing bit: I want to be convinced that these earbuds sound as great as DJ says. Also do the earbuds perform and sound well without an Amp or DAC/Amp combo? Would anyone recommend or say it is a necessity to use an Amp or DAC/Amp combo? 

My final question: What portable DACs, AMPs, or DAC/AMPs would be a good setup with earbuds and headphones? I want to be able to drive my HD 598s and these Monks with exceptional sound quality but am not sure what options are out there that will meet that standard.

I hope this makes my question a bit clearer.   

Samsung S5 & UAPP app (Usb Audio Player Pro) -> ZuperDAC ($75) -> Monks or HD598's or whatever = audio bliss.

Jul 14, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #4,834 of 7,442

Samsung S5 & UAPP app (Usb Audio Player Pro) -> ZuperDAC ($75) -> Monks or HD598's or whatever = audio bliss.

Ok. But for zoze wizout zee UberdaK, how is the S5?

2) Have you tried Hiby player?

3) For the rooted amongst us. Have you given Foobar and Viperforandroid a kick?  I am warming up to the Foob just for its pure ease of use and configuration. The caveat being, until they get the plugin thing handled for the droid the Foob NEEDS Viper to really shine.

Oh and for 5 bucks a pop how can anyone question the Monks? At that price point, the time that it takes you to post a question pays for the bud itself, even at minimum wage in Sri Lanka:)

Jul 14, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #4,835 of 7,442
Ok. But for zoze wizout zee UberdaK, how is the S5?

Ok, but not stellar. Neutron music player sounded all right, but the magic is missing for me.

2) Have you tried Hiby player?

No. I've read that UAPP and the Onkyo HF apps both bypass the android drivers, whereas other apps utilize the android drivers before hitting the usb DAC. I could be wrong about that, and I don't know about Hiby player.

However, UAPP includes Tidal streaming within the app, so maybe that's when the android drivers are bypassed. At any rate, I tried UAPP and the ZuperDAC worked flawlessly with it, and the magic was provided. So I've just stuck with that combo.

Quote:
3) For the rooted amongst us. Have you given Foobar and Viperforandroid a kick?  I am warming up to the Foob just for its pure ease of use and configuration. The caveat being, until they get the plugin thing handled for the droid the Foob NEEDS Viper to really shine.

I have not rooted my S5, so I haven't tried either. I'd be interested in Foobar since I use it on my laptop and like it very much.

Quote:
 Oh and for 5 bucks a pop how can anyone question the Monks? At that price point, the time that it takes you to post a question pays for the bud itself, even at minimum wage in Sri Lanka:)

True. You can't question the Monks. Unquestionable! (Just like those whacky good Sony HPM-62's!).

Jul 14, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #4,836 of 7,442

Ok, but not stellar. Neutron music player sounded all right, but the magic is missing for me.

I have not rooted my S5, so I haven't tried either. I'd be interested in Foobar since I use it on my laptop and like it very much.

True. You can't question the Monks. Unquestionable! (Just like those whacky good Sony HPM-62's!).

You mean the sony erricson earbuds with the phone connector?

Jul 14, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #4,839 of 7,442

The Foob is worth a pop as it is a freebie so like the Monks themselves there is no downside. It does however need some work on format support.

I abandoned Neutron a while back in favour of Hiby which performed much better for me on both the S3 and S4.  I should probably try Neutron again but really with the Foob and Hiby both being freeware my motivation is nil:)

Jul 14, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #4,841 of 7,442
Red Monk+ have shipped from New Jersey...on the way!

Jul 14, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #4,842 of 7,442
Thanks kazekaeru XD I forgot to mention that I wanted a model of a Monk in my portable setup, including the fact that I want to drive headphones as well. 

And audio123 I wish to try a pair of these Monk earbuds (apparently there are differing models?). I was referring to thereof when I said "in-ear." I also left a bit out of the post by accident. Sorry about that. 

The missing bit: I want to be convinced that these earbuds sound as great as DJ says. Also do the earbuds perform and sound well without an Amp or DAC/Amp combo? Would anyone recommend or say it is a necessity to use an Amp or DAC/Amp combo? 

My final question: What portable DACs, AMPs, or DAC/AMPs would be a good setup with earbuds and headphones? I want to be able to drive my HD 598s and these Monks with exceptional sound quality but am not sure what options are out there that will meet that standard.

I hope this makes my question a bit clearer.   

You could start with the Monk+, then a small amp from Fiio, such as the A3($55), or E6($20-25); but I think the A1 has replaced the E6, for pretty much the same price.

Excellent small amps which pack a mighty punch for the Monk+. Use either with a music program on the S5, and you can have fantastic sound for $30-60. That is all you need for that set up. Any more and you may as well take the plunge and get the Zen 2.0, or something...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back