2017 UK Head-Fi Meet (April 2nd @ Milton Keynes)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #91 of 693
​A selection of 16 bit, 44.1khz files shouldn't take up much space at all. Besides, I imagine most people will want access to them well in advance of the meet, as we will want to become familiar with the tracks and how they sound on our existing gear, therefore they can copy the tracks from the shared folder and then disconnect from the dropbox share so they don't affect their quota.

Maybe use a local network as a contigency? We could also have the drop box store, which I can use to populate the local server.

Oct 25, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #92 of 693
Be careful re: copyright. I think tidal + some free to download content (2l etc) might avoid unwitting infringement.

Ade

Oct 25, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #93 of 693
Be careful re: copyright. I think tidal + some free to download content (2l etc) might avoid unwitting infringement.

Ade

@Turrican2 is it possible to make the server read only? This would potentially head off copyright issues?

Both are questions because I am not an IP attourney.

Oct 25, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #94 of 693
I don't think we have too much to worry about with regard to copyright infringement. We're talking about a handful of random tracks that we will be using to test our gear with. No one is trying to profit from this and who would ever know? :)

I also think we should sack off the idea of tidal etc, as not all of us will be using web connected equipment

Oct 25, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #95 of 693
@Turrican2
 is it possible to make the server read only? This would potentially head off copyright issues?

Both are questions because I am not an IP attourney.

Yes, very easy to make it read only. No idea if that would make a difference, it wouldn't stop someone who connects with a laptop downloading the content. Might need to think about this one,

Oct 25, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #96 of 693
I really don't think we need to worry about copyright. When was the last time you were at a meet and someone from FACT (Federation against copyright theft) asked you where you got your music from? 
biggrin.gif

If people are feeling particularly paranoid then we could all agree on the tracks and then those that want to could purchase them online?

Oct 25, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #97 of 693
  I really don't think we need to worry about copyright. When was the last time you were at a meet and someone from FACT (Federation against copyright theft) asked you where you got your music from? 
biggrin.gif

If people are feeling particularly paranoid then we could all agree on the tracks and then those that want to could purchase them online?

Dropbox would be encouraging people to infringe, which is probably a violation of the terms of service. I don't use it much but my general experience is people don't want users using their service to break international laws. I think organisers would be protected if people agreed to not download the songs off the server. While copyright police aren't likely to be hanging out, Ade is right in advising caution.

Oct 25, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #98 of 693
  Dropbox would be encouraging people to infringe, which is probably a violation of the terms of service. I don't use it much but my general experience is people don't want users using their service to break international laws. I think organisers would be protected if people agreed to not download the songs off the server. While copyright police aren't likely to be hanging out, Ade is right in advising caution.

Well I guess we will need to agree on some tracks and purchase them then, unless we use some free music, but that reduces our options.

Oct 26, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #100 of 693
C'mon guys lighten up, as his copyright infringement discussion is really just a...

storm_in_a_teacup_by_kritter5x-d31kwvp.jpg

...storm in a teacup. Unless you're a recidivist download offender and prodigious Torrent content uploader set on undermining record label profitability by widely disseminating paid for media freely, then RELAX my friends and worry not, as your copying efforts won't incur the wrath of any IP lawyers.
smile_phones.gif

Oct 26, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #101 of 693
Just an idea,

Let's agree on 5-7 tracks as gold standard then switch on paranoia button and 
then we can pack and encrypt the files and place them on a server and share password over the e-mails to attendees only ( i have 50gb BOX acc but with a 250mb limit file size) 
everyone can d/l it beforehand and listen to it on their own gear (and guys bringing gear to the meet will have those as separate playlist)

We can also set up a server at the meet and share it over WiFi - but if that's for whatever the reason will not work we will have at least our
golden standard playlist.

Oct 26, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #103 of 693
Things might well kick off on Friday night if Trev quaffs a few pints of scrumpy and starts belting out The Wurzels greatest hits at 3 a.m. 

beerchug.gif

Quote:
We need to talk about the music not the law. No one will need to go to the Old Jury because they attended the Milton Keynes shindig , unless the drinking gets out of hand the night before. I want Homeless on there if I get a pick....

Oct 26, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #105 of 693
Hi all!

Hotel bedroom booking update - I've given up chasing them for a group rate, and to be honest it sounded like it wouldn't be much anyway. So, if you're planning on booking a room them feel free to go ahead.  It's worth signing up for membership of the "Intercontinental Hotel Group" (free at www.ihg.com) which will get you a few quid off and a preferential booking/cancellation policy. I just booked and it was £60 for two of us including breakfast.

It's still early days, but I'm going to start getting a preliminary kit list together for the meet. Feel free to post anything you may be bringing along, or if you'd rather just PM me that's fine.

Finally (for now), it's looking like we'll be seeing a lovely stack of Schiit at the meet. More details to follow. Thanks @ElectroMod !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back