2017: The Most Innovative Year for Headphones in Over a Decade As We Witness Revolutions in Sound, Features, & Design (An In-Depth Opus...)
Jan 3, 2017 at 4:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

MICHAELSD

Headphoneus Supremus
Mark my words: 2017 will see the most innovation from headphone manufacturers in over a decade, if not longer. For 2017 is the first year that wireless headphones can (and will) be designed to be superior in both features and sound quality to their wired predecessors, and that transition is the invigoration that the major audio brands have been awaiting to usher in a new generation of advancements in sound quality, features, and design. 

Beloved audio brands are on the verge of releasing truly excellent wireless headphones this year that will make every wired headphone that has come before look like dinosaurs about to be made extinct. In such a competitive landscape where headphones will be reinvented, audio brands will follow suit with more innovation in design, audio quality, and technology than the industry has seen in a very long time.

It's akin to the transition occurring in automobiles: electric vehicles, which are superior in every single regard except range currently, will become mainstream in 2017 with Tesla's release of the no-compromise Model 3. Automobile makers are focusing on radically redesigning their vehicles in the most significant manner since the Model T in the transition to electric vehicles, and gasoline-powered cars will become archaic fossils over the next few decades if not sooner.

Practically every flagship headphone announced thus far has been a wireless model, and in such a competitive marketplace all of the biggest brands from the marketing titans to the audiophile mainstays will be following suit with their newest designs and best audio technologies. The simple fact of the matter is that 2017 spells the beginning of the end for wired headphones for all but purists and budget seekers. 

Bluetooth 5.0, which is already available, features a quadrupled range and an 800% increase in data broadcasting capacity; or in other words, zero drawbacks. Even lossless files will be streamable over aptX without a degradation in quality. 

More bluntly: 2017 is the year of wireless headphones, pioneered by the smartphone's removal of the headphone port (and eventual removal of all ports within the next decade) which was influenced by Bluetooth technology reaching a point where audio files can be streamed with absolutely zero effect on quality. In fact, due to wireless headphones being self-amplified and utilizing their own digital-to-analog converter they can sound about as good as they do plugged into an amp without the need for a bulky amplifier... or a cable. It's up to the manufacturer to ensure their wireless headphones sound the best they can on their own, and since they're not relying on an inferior external DAC inside of a phone or laptop they finally have complete control over their sound. Within five years, likely sooner, wireless headphone models will be class-leaders and benchmarks for audio quality due to that previously-unattainable degree of control.

(Audio-Technica is already debuting a "Pure Digital Drive" technology at CES that forgoes a digital-to-analog converter altogether -- a feat that wouldn't have been possible before. Rather that converting the sound to analog, the chip "translates the signal into digital pulses that move the voice coil in the driver." This is just the tip of the iceberg as far as innovative new features and technologies are concerned, as we will surely see more this year. )

Anecdotally last time I purchased headphones in June 2015, I agonizingly compared every single high-end model on the market down to the finest detail before making a purchase; just a year-and-a-half ago I would only consider wired headphones because there were too many compromises with every single wireless model available. Now that wireless technology is practical, and superior in every single regard to wired technology, headphone manufacturers know that they need to innovate on all fronts to a significant degree as consumers realize that this is the year wireless headphones are worth buying.

Despite my critical analysis of every headphone available in 2015 and study of what makes for good audio, ironically I purchased the Beats Solo3 as a placeholder wireless headphone. While not the most exceptional-sounding headphone on the market, they are in my eyes the first practical wireless headphone thanks mainly to the Apple W1 chip which provides incredible range, class-leading battery life, and the icing on the cake: sound that is significantly better in wireless mode than wired. (Especially when used with an iPhone 7.) While Beats of all brands has a pioneering product with an industry-leading feature set thanks to Apple, I am sure we will see the same type of no-compromise wireless headphones released from every player in the industry.

Thanks to a pioneering wireless headphone that truly feels like the future, I have gone from being an analog purist to being a convert enough so that I have no desire to use a wired headphone ever again. Even sitting at a desk, I have grown to hate having that cable in the way and all the limitations it holds. For more active purposes, perfected wireless technology provides a momentous world of difference.

Wireless headphones have been around for years, but the underlying technologies have finally reached the point where they are worth using. I wouldn't have given up a cable for a severely compromised wireless experience -- I had been waiting for wireless technology to sound as good or better than wired technology rather than "almost as good," a la even the best wireless headphones available prior to the end of 2016. The best wireless headphones from just a year or two ago already feel practically obsolete, while Bluetooth 5.0 headphones released this year will be usable and modern for many years since we have reached the pinnacle of what's required to make a seamless transition to wireless audio.

Now that absolutely perfect wireless audio streaming exists, 2017 is the year that wireless technology makes wired headphones look like archaic fossils -- a transition that has already happened in my eyes.

The headphone industry is about to be revolutionized in manners beyond just a transition to wireless as headphone manufacturers use this opportunity of total reinvigoration in the market to create their best headphones, ever. We will see gorgeous redesigned headphones packed with more technology than ever before in a flawless wireless package featuring impeccable sound quality that will rival, and potentially surpass, the best wired headphones. 2017 is the year of wireless headphones, and the year of innovation unseen for decades.

Jan 3, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #4 of 14
(Audio-Technica is already debuting a "Pure Digital Drive" technology at CES that forgoes a digital-to-analog converter altogether -- a feat that wouldn't have been possible before. Rather that converting the sound to analog, the chip "translates the signal into digital pulses that move the voice coil in the driver." This is just the tip of the iceberg as far as innovative new features and technologies are concerned, as we will surely see more this year. )

Sounds very similar to a class D amplifier to me which we've had for sometime now.

Jan 3, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #5 of 14
That does it for me. I am not purchasing anymore gear for the next couple of years. Already have enough obsolescence all around me. I was seriously considering that Focal Utopia with its four meter cable to replace my HE1000 made obsolete by the HEK v2. Whew!

Jan 3, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #7 of 14
That does it for me. I am not purchasing anymore gear for the next couple of years. Already have enough obsolescence all around me. I was seriously considering that Focal Utopia with its four meter cable to replace my HE1000 made obsolete by the HEK v2. Whew!

Sarcasm? I'd hold off on the high-end gear for a while. I truly think this transition to perfected wireless technologies is going to push headphone manufacturers of all classes to innovate.

Jan 3, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #9 of 14
Alright jokes and sarcasm aside, I'll try to address your... opus.

Practically every flagship headphone announced thus far has been a wireless model

...? Practically? I mean, just going by the common audiophile brand names: Shure, Westone, Etymotic, Sennheiser, Audeze, Beyerdynamic, Audio Technica... none of them have a flagship that's wireless. Or made any announcements that suggested such.

Bluetooth 5.0, which is already available, features a quadrupled range and an 800% increase in data broadcasting capacity; or in other words, zero drawbacks.

Actually it's double, from 1 Mbps to 2 Mbps. Still a very decent leap, though we'll have to wait for 3rd party protocols because currently there's no news of an update of the A2DP spec, which limits the bandwidth down to lossy speeds anyway.

Now that wireless technology is practical, and superior in every single regard to wired technology

Well thank god you called it an opus and not a thesis because this isn't going to fly in any classroom. What regards? I'll give the point in convenience and ergonomics, but every single regard?

Now that absolutely perfect wireless audio streaming exists, 2017 is the year that wireless technology makes wired headphones look like archaic fossils -- a transition that has already happened in my eyes.

Refer to my above statement. I myself own a bluetooth cable for my IEMs from Lear and have owned an original Jaybirds X, so I speak from experience when I say that wireless technology so not free of frills and annoyances that cabled headphones have. For instance:

1. (Possible IEM limited) ridiculously high noise floor. Particularly apparent with high isolation (the Jaybirds had a noise floor in silence but was more or so drowned out in public, less so for my customs).
  2. The need to consciously charge your headphones, whether being once a day or once a week. 5.0 AFAIK does not improve battery life.
  3. Cut-outs. Bluetooth technology is not and will not be perfect at this. It's rare enough to be a mild issue but an issue nonetheless.
  4. FIDELITY. aptX, LDAC or 4.2 still aren't there in terms of extension. Adequate and even satisfactory for public use, but painfully apparent in the silence of my own home. Can 5.0 fix this? Maybe, but it's still all speculation and quite frankly, I very much doubt it.

However, I do agree. For exercise, I'll always prefer wireless over the microphonics of a moving cable. Though the ergonomics of a thinner cable like the Linum BaX makes this a non-issue. +1 to the wired side

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here. That wireless is better? For now and in any foreseeable future, that's simply isn't the case for us audiophiles. It's going to take a lot in the advancements of mainstream wireless tech for us and high-end manufacturers to consider this significant revolution.

That and the fact that a significant part of audiophillia happens to dabble in cable rolling. Gonna take a lot to appease those folks.

Jan 3, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #10 of 14
  Alright jokes and sarcasm aside, I'll try to address your... opus.

...? Practically? I mean, just going by the common audiophile brand names: Shure, Westone, Etymotic, Sennheiser, Audeze, Beyerdynamic, Audio Technica... none of them have a flagship that's wireless. Or made any announcements that suggested such.

Audio Technica, Sennheiser, V-MODA at the very least consider their Bluetooth models their consumer flagships. We're only three days into 2017 but from what I've read about headphones at CES so far is companies featuring their upcoming wireless models as flagships, with no articles I've come across about wired-only headphones.

Actually it's double, from 1 Mbps to 2 Mbps. Still a very decent leap, though we'll have to wait for 3rd party protocols because currently there's no news of an update of the A2DP spec, which limits the bandwidth down to lossy speeds anyway.

"Eight times broadcast message capacity" according to Bluetooth.

Well thank god you called it an opus and not a thesis because this isn't going to fly in any classroom. What regards? I'll give the point in convenience and ergonomics, but every single regard?

Fair enough lol. If Bluetooth 5.0, with an updated aptX protocol, proves itself in its ability to deliver lossless audio up to 1400kbps with no degradation then there would be no exclusive benefit to a wired connection. The only obvious positive is that a wired connection can power the headphone indefinitely, but most wireless headphones will still have a 3.5mm output for those moments the battery does run out. (Unless it's a powered headphone, like most of those with active noise cancellation.)

Refer to my above statement. I myself own a bluetooth cable for my IEMs from Lear and have owned an original Jaybirds X, so I speak from experience when I say that wireless technology so not free of frills and annoyances that cabled headphones have. For instance:

1. (Possible IEM limited) ridiculously high noise floor. Particularly apparent with high isolation (the Jaybirds had a noise floor in silence but was more or so drowned out in public, less so for my customs). Non-issue now.
  2. The need to consciously charge your headphones, whether being once a day or once a week. 5.0 AFAIK does not improve battery life. Fair enough, but it's just an extra gadget to plug in at the end of the day so it should become second nature. Though the Solo3 does manage to last about a week or two between charges, and when the battery runs out it takes a total of three seconds to plug it into a micro-USB charger.
  3. Cut-outs. Bluetooth technology is not and will not be perfect at this. It's rare enough to be a mild issue but an issue nonetheless. If the manufacturer improves the connection reliability, then this isn't a concern. I've had no cut-outs with the Apple W1 chip.
  4. FIDELITY. aptX, LDAC or 4.2 still aren't there in terms of extension. Adequate and even satisfactory for public use, but painfully apparent in the silence of my own home. Can 5.0 fix this? Maybe, but it's still all speculation and quite frankly, I very much doubt it. This is in fact speculation admittedly, though there is another side to this coin that I didn't want to highlight on here as I know there is a split on here between those that use lossless and lossy files. I use Apple Music personally (after previously using Tidal for its lossless quality), and its 256kbps AAC can be effortlessly transmitted over Bluetooth with no loss of quality. The majority of people listening to music at up to 320kbps will experience no degradation. As long as I'm using AAC I won't see a difference in clarity with a pair of headphones that has a quality Bluetooth receiver.

However, I do agree. For exercise, I'll always prefer wireless over the microphonics of a moving cable. Though the ergonomics of a thinner cable like the Linum BaX makes this a non-issue. +1 to the wired side

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here. That wireless is better? For now and in any foreseeable future, that's simply isn't the case for us audiophiles. It's going to take a lot in the advancements of mainstream wireless tech for us and high-end manufacturers to consider this significant revolution.

I'm trying, though I'm sure I won't convince everyone, to make my case that 2017 is the year that wireless headphones are finally good enough to have no compromises, and that will inspire innovation so that headphone manufacturers release wireless flagships that stand out in new ways in the market.

That and the fact that a significant part of audiophillia happens to dabble in cable rolling. Gonna take a lot to appease those folks.

Apologies for not breaking up your quote like you did, but I addressed all of your points in bold above ^.

Jan 3, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #11 of 14
Doesn't excessive cell EMI/RF radiation cause tumors? For example someone who slept with their phone under their pillow everynight would be subject to this.  I am concerned about such issues and am not sure I'd be comfortable with the amount of EMI/RF said headphones would produce seeing as they're inside my head all day.

I also consider the passive ADEL membrane and especially the active ADEL bubble to be revolutionary technologies in the audio field as well.

Jan 4, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #12 of 14
Apple removing the 3.5mm headphone jack is not innovation. It is a symbolic, political move. I say that because the stereo version of the 3.5mm jack was created by Sony for the original cassette Walkman, which then became the de facto standard around the world. It is in such widespread use and there is such profit opportunities still available around it, that there's no real reason to remove it. For instance, Sony itself has made the jack waterproof without even needing a rubber cap, so that's not an excuse. At a time when so much feature can be integrated into a single processor and run on software, I doubt any device manufacturer would need to "free up" the tiny space taken up by the headphone jack within a smartphone. There are also many other hardware things they can remove and adjust.

So I see the iPhone 7 move as Apple, the new king, beheading the old king he toppled, and then hanging the decapitated head out in town square for all to see. As an former fan of Teh Steve who's very disappointed in today's Apple, I have a Whitney karaoke for ya'll: it's not right but it's okay, I'm not buying Apple anyway.

You can see Sony also attempting this move again recently, playing the long game over several years, of first creating its own definition for Hi-Res audio, and then having the Japanese and American industry group bodies adopt it wholesale with little to no change.

Putting it bluntly, describing a political move as innovation is why the world is at where it's at today. I just saw some tech writer claim that the AirPods' significance is in Siri! Does he not have the basic understanding that many other headsets can also trigger Siri?

But I'm not here to change anyone's mind - I'm too busy for that ****, and moreover, so what if you agree with me? There's nothing in that for me anyway.
I'm just putting my opinion down, for posterity. I love a good TOLDJA! moment.

The real obstacle to good wireless audio products is the inherent instability/flakiness/unreliability of Bluetooth itself. Note that I said Bluetooth itself, not the audio codecs riding on top of Bluetooth. Individual manufacturers have done all they could with augmentations, built this shoddy illegal makeshift wooden house into a palace, as far as it would go without crumbling under its own weight, and the next step will have to be a proper upgrade of Bluetooth itself. That's the only way we'll get reliable wireless products that can stream aptX HD or LDAC flawlessly, pair/switch flawlessly, or even true wireless earphones of accepable connection stability.

Nothing enthusiasts say on paper will persuade those of us who have paid real money for actual products, and gotten a taste of how that palace threatens to fall under the slightest of tremor, but hey, this is my opinion, just like the OP was merely presenting his.

Oct 11, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #13 of 14
Is there any word on headphones that will feature 5.0?

From my research, it seems 5.0 coupled devices with the latest codec has no reason to not deliver flawless sound quality... in theory.

But I still see no products beside the Zola Liberty+ that use 5.0. And though those might be great for people who want a hands-free phone call experience, their lack of aptX makes them useless for Android users with an ear for SQ.

So does anyone know ANY headphones that have been announced to use 5.0??? I've been digging online for three hours and have only seen the offering from Zola.

Oct 12, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #14 of 14
What about that saying bigger is better and no replacement for displacement?

Everything is made smaller for portability and other benefits, but battery, bass and amps, smaller always seems to sacrifice something.

By the way you didn't mention Akg with its micorphone in the driver compartment to customize sound, kind of like the technology Audeze's Cypher cable is using.

So some things get better while other things stay as is.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back