2017 Audio Technica new flagship ATH-ADX5000
Jun 15, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #1,247 of 1,496
The solution is very easy.
You can return it to the @kith86

It's very clear.
Return it or Pay for it.

In my opinion, if you loved the sound and the stuff, you can pay for it.

But, if you complaint about the oxidation, worried about mold, etc, you can always return it to the seller.

It is easy tho.
But if you want to reduce the price? Well that's something not appropriate 😅

The choice are, return it or pay for it. loud and clear.
Yeah we worked it out. Just lots of surprises after the thing came in and stuff but overall I think it's a sound that's worth the risk for me.
This package is just too tempting to not attempt for me. As it's a dynamic driver Praying it will last for years to come.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #1,248 of 1,496
Agreed. Too much OOT. They can easily solved this on PM tho.
He was the one that first asked me to maybe inquire here if I'm worried about it.
True that I can't ask anywhere else for other people's sample picture
I didn't intend to mention him nor why I was asking in the first place.
Well anyway its a done deal. This picture
IMG00234_HDR.jpg
is what make me decide to pull the trigger in the end. Such a clean carry on case, best sound I can have anytime, anywhere, in any situation.
Basically my endgame.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #1,249 of 1,496
Those who run these on Topping A90, and not enjoying the sound, try Singxer SA-1, so good it even gives bass :) I currently have RME ADI + Singxer and could not be happier. The topping A90 +E50 was waaay too clinical, and fatigueing. I think any Class A amp might be a better match for these anyway.
Thanks for the rec, that amp is what I'm aiming for as well, did you do the jumper mod on it?

Jun 15, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #1,250 of 1,496
Yeah, i tried it: it sounded cleaner slightly narrover, and more like a90 so i took the jumpers off. However take that with a grain of salt as fast a/b was not possible.

Jun 21, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #1,251 of 1,496
SA-1 is a nice value amp. Should provide plenty hrs of musical enjoyment.

Jul 7, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #1,252 of 1,496
Recently bought a MHDT Orchid NOS dac and with my ADX 5000's I tried the iFI ICan amp the new signature version and thought the SS mode with the ADX 5000's and the Orchid dac was too bright for me..so I switched to the Tube + mode and voila....perfect....just softened up the treble are slightly and a good match with the cans and dac!

Sweet!

Jul 7, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #1,253 of 1,496
When music is sourced from digital platform, tube amp seems to help quite a bit smoothing out the edges. When playing vinyl in my 2nd rig, SS amp is just fine.
It is like cooking.
Ingredients matter and personal taste is a factor.

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #1,254 of 1,496
Received them 3 days ago. They still continue to amaze me with their openness and depth of the sound stage, resolution and realism. I consider it an excellent upgrade after my HD660S. Interestingly enough, they sound full and beautiful with any music, even with the current not very powerful AT-HA22TUBE. Especially good with live concert recordings, old vinyl recordings, music with vocals and live instruments, OSTs. The bass is also full and deep, electronic music sounds great too. I was afraid of brightness, as in Beyerdynamic T1, but this is not here. Sibilants are not pronounced, but there is a presence of air around the instruments and room reverberations. I think that I felt something similar only with HE-6 and Stax. They are very responsive to changing interconnects or power cables in the audio path (surprisingly I managed to get an almost Sennheiser-like laidback signature, but greater in every aspect, just wow). And most importantly for me - they are really very light and comfortable, the ear pads are deep enough. And they just look gorgeous.
DSCF0524.JPG
DSCF0528.JPG
DSCF0532.JPG
Update: and now I listen to heavy music again, wow. Can't get over how great Korn - MTV Unplugged (2007) sounds right now!

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #1,255 of 1,496
Received them 3 days ago. They still continue to amaze me with their openness and depth of the sound stage, resolution and realism. I consider it an excellent upgrade after my HD660S. Interestingly enough, they sound full and beautiful with any music, even with the current not very powerful AT-HA22TUBE. Especially good with live concert recordings, old vinyl recordings, music with vocals and live instruments, OSTs. The bass is also full and deep, electronic music sounds great too. I was afraid of brightness, as in Beyerdynamic T1, but this is not here. Sibilants are not pronounced, but there is a presence of air around the instruments and room reverberations. I think that I felt something similar only with HE-6 and Stax. They are very responsive to changing interconnects or power cables in the audio path (surprisingly I managed to get an almost Sennheiser-like laidback signature, but greater in every aspect, just wow). And most importantly for me - they are really very light and comfortable, the ear pads are deep enough. And they just look gorgeous.
DSCF0524.JPG
DSCF0528.JPG
DSCF0532.JPG
Update: and now I listen to heavy music again, wow. Can't get over how great Korn - MTV Unplugged (2007) sounds right now!
I echo your sentiments regarding the sonic profile of the ADX5000's. I just got my set 2 days ago. I did not expect to like them but they continue to amaze me with their clarity, detail, and open, airy sound. The instrument separation, imaging, soundstage, and sense of space are all top notch. The biggest surprise is the bass on the ADX5000's. I expected it to be light like majority of Audio-Technica headphones, but it's not. There is real and defined bass. The midrange is one of the best I've heard outside of the Susvara's I use to own. Like you I find them very good with the rock and metal music genres. This is my current setup that I'm enjoying, the Head 2 is simply phenomenal with the ADX5000's

IMG_2127.jpg

Aug 21, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #1,257 of 1,496
I echo your sentiments regarding the sonic profile of the ADX5000's. I just got my set 2 days ago. I did not expect to like them but they continue to amaze me with their clarity, detail, and open, airy sound. The instrument separation, imaging, soundstage, and sense of space are all top notch. The biggest surprise is the bass on the ADX5000's. I expected it to be light like majority of Audio-Technica headphones, but it's not. There is real and defined bass. The midrange is one of the best I've heard outside of the Susvara's I use to own. Like you I find them very good with the rock and metal music genres. This is my current setup that I'm enjoying, the Head 2 is simply phenomenal with the ADX5000's

IMG_2127.jpg
Its funny I have other high dollar cans that are very very good as well...but when I go back to the ADX 5000's its like the clarity, airness is back...and its very
noticeable ob how clean and accurate they really are...and for such a design the bass is indeed there and just wonderful....unlike my HD 8XX cans that I sold.

Aug 21, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #1,258 of 1,496
Its funny I have other high dollar cans that are very very good as well...but when I go back to the ADX 5000's its like the clarity, airness is back...and its very
noticeable ob how clean and accurate they really are...and for such a design the bass is indeed there and just wonderful....unlike my HD 8XX cans that I sold.
Yes, when I go to listen to any headphone after listening to the ADX5000's the clarity is not there. They sound a little hazy initially. The sound presentation of the ADX5000's is very good. I enjoy them on both tube and solid state amps. I'm in just enamored by its midrange presentation.

I owned all of the HD8XX series of headphones. I like the ADX5000's a lot more. I'm so glad I decided to give these a try. Now I just need to find a balanced cable for them. It sucks that it did not come with one. Is anyone using an balanced aftermarket cable with their set of ADX5000's? If so what cable?

Aug 21, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #1,259 of 1,496
Yes, when I go to listen to any headphone after listening to the ADX5000's the clarity is not there. They sound a little hazy initially. The sound presentation of the ADX5000's is very good. I enjoy them on both tube and solid state amps. I'm in just enamored by its midrange presentation.

I owned all of the HD8XX series of headphones. I like the ADX5000's a lot more. I'm so glad I decided to give these a try. Now I just need to find a balanced cable for them. It sucks that it did not come with one. Is anyone using an balanced aftermarket cable with their set of ADX5000's? If so what cable?
Bought my balanced from aliexpress. Works like a charm, cost 30e

Attachments

• 20220821_210200.jpg
    20220821_210200.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Aug 21, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #1,260 of 1,496

I made my own balanced cable.
Easy to do.
I got the hard to find connectors from Moon Audio.
Cable Is Canare L46ES.
4 pin XLR from an online parts vendor.
About $60 - $70 total including shipping.
Works very well.
1661104996902.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back